Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

what?

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

2.50 in sainsburys. I don't know what the NAAFI is, but they don'e sell fage on the american base. Dat untaxed alcohol though hnnnnnnnnng. Grey goose is about the same price as smirnoff in the UK.

3. gort

gort Senior member

I thought working inner/outer/upper pecs was bro science as the pec is one muscle?

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I think this got lost under all the talk of home gyms and bicep curls. What am I really losing by giving up squats and only doing DLs?

5. knucks

knucks Senior member

Not entirely correct:
    The angle and spacing affects the manner in which the pectoral is recruited.
    Search for studies that look at the muscle recruitment with the use of an EMG

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

im not entirely sure but for whatever reason i think the consensus that doing heavy deads anymore than 1x a week is going to smoke you. personally, deadlifting leaves me more drained than any other lift whether its 2x5 or 3x10, and the thought of doing that multiple times makes my body recoil in horror. maybe im a pussy though. i think if you don't really care about strength and you really regulate your intensity and volume you could do it, but even then i would be more inclined to do something like gm's or at least swap out dl variations to keep it fresh. rack pulls, deficits, rdl's, sumo/conv, etc. regularly pulling from the floor with the same stance and the same intensity twice a week would be like smashing my nuts with a hammer for me.

i think with all the squats vs deads and only squatting or only deadlifting comes down to: just squat and deadlift. i know dudes like fuji are pretty into squat erryday, disregard deadlifts so you are certainly free to try - i just feel like you'll make a realization of "oh god why" sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I don't even think deadlifts and squats are as comparable as people make them out to be. Squats are MUCH more an anterior chain workout and deadlifts are MUCH more a posterior chain workout. You can tell when someone doesn't deadlift because their erector spinae and hamstrings are underdeveloped, and you can tell when someone doesn't squat because their quads are underdeveloped. With deadlifts you aren't getting even close to the full range of motion on your quads, and with squats you are relegating your erector spinae and hamstrings to a stabilizing role rather than the workhorse muscles.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

On the "different parts of the pec" broscience topic....

The entire pectoralis major is recruited for every shoulder adduction movement, sure. But the stimulus for any muscle hypertrophy is microtrauma from a heavy load. If you think about it from a geometry standpoint, the way to specifically increase the workload for a muscle fiber is to have your motion(read: your press, your fly, whatever) be exactly perpendicular to the muscle fiber. Any angle other than 90 degrees is going to cause you to lose strength and power from that specific muscle. So, even though yes your entire pectoralis major is recruited for every fly/press, the specific fibers that are generating the most force and having the largest strain(read: the most microtrauma and the most stimulus for hypertrophy) on them is dependent on the angle between the fiber itself and the work that's being done.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Right in some cases, but completely false in others. But given you made a blanket statement, it's wrong.

Go show me someone with a 600 pound wide-stance, low bar squat and tell me they have "underdeveloped" hamstrings and erectors.

And show me someone with a 600 pound sumo-stance deadlift that has "undeveloped" quads.

:facepalm:

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Fair enough...I was speaking(erroneously) in terms of how I do each of these movements(squat: high bar, narrow stance. deadlift: traditional). There's of course variations that negate the differences.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I figured you were talking in the same of a close-stance squat and a conventional deadlift (which you would be correct), but I didn't want you to mislead anyone else reading :p

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Slight tangent to my original question but when I was squatting using some Rippetoe videos, I felt like I was working my posterior chain pretty hard. He instructs you to really push forward with your lower back. It is entirely possible that either i) his instruction is wrong or ii) my interpretation of his instruction is wrong, but I will throw that out there.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Rip's squat technique instruction just blows. There are better ways to squat, IMO.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

i havent watched ss in forever but the only thing i can think of that i have changed from rippetoe's squat instruction is pushing elbows under the bar to help me stay upright as opposed to pushing elbows back which was tipping me forwards.

thumb-over low bar grip, elbows down, push ass backwards, bend knees--> drive hips forward is how i squat. and i think thats pretty much how he describes it with lots of ranting about milk and communists and neutral head positioning in between

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't really know how I squat. Just get my upper back tight, unrack the bar, sit back then force my stomach into my gut, push up and pull my chest up. I use a pretty wide stance too so not really the rip method I don't think. I push the back of my head into my traps too, don't know if he does that.

Did 100 pull ups today, took ages to do, did it in sets of 6. Did 72 then some overhead press and shoulder work then went back for the last 28. Gonna get me some lats.