Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Lagrangian may be able to answer this officially, but I've seen 10kg training bars that were shorter and thinner, but 15kg women's competition bars that were just thinner, not shorter...

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yes, 2050mm for womens bar 2200 mens (iirc). teh woman barbell lacks the center knurl as well.

and there are a shitload of technique and training bars that weigh anything from 5 to 17.5 kg and what have you. most facilities don't have these so it's not really relevant.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Brb not able to go to sleep because i'm worried my max is now 162.5kg and not 167.5kg, well it's probably like 172.5kg now actually haven't tested my 1rm in a few weeks. Googled oly bar thickness and apparently mens range between 28mm and 32mm, guess there are variations.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

if you're talking strictly olympic lifting, no. there's always the scale if you're so concerned whether the bar weighs 20kg, I'd put money on yes.

5. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Lost over half a stone but not my love handles. :fu:

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Are they fatty lovehandles or muscular lovehandles? If it's the first, well....just keep cutting(sucks, I know). If it's the latter, quit blasting your obliques so much.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I pick up home gym shit from a used warehouse and I have ended up with a pair of Oly bars, one which weighs 40 lbs and is thinner and one which weighs 45 lbs and is thicker.

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Wish it was the latter. Don't seem to be going down at all, everythings coming off my pecs thighs and stomach. Going to look like an ironing board at this rate.

9. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Deadlift bars have gnurling, just not in the middle. There is about an 16-18 inch space of smooth on the middle of a deadlift bar. On a squat bar there will be at least a 6 inch strip of gnurling at the dead center - some bars are completely gnurling with just a smooth ring at the center as an alignment point (these are preferred and usually a 55-65 lb bar). Deadlift bars MAY be slightly less in diameter but usually only by about 3/8".

10. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Birthday cake ruining my cut :fu:

Actually my face and neck look a lot leaner which is nice.

11. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Ha! Well to be fair, having overdeveloped obliques is MUCH more difficult to get rid of than stubborn abdominal fat.

Anyways, just keep up the work and they'll disappear eventually. :slayer:

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

You all missed the point in the IF study:

The article is saying that eating more protein per meal and eating more frequent meals conserves more muscle mass while losing the same amount of fat.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The IPF/USAPL uses the same bars for all three lifts right?

Anyways, from my experience the deadlift bar is much skinnier than the squat bar (in most feds).

I wouldn't call 3/8" "slightly less"... that adds more than an 1" in circumference right there!

That's a huge difference. Knurling in the middle aside, I wouldn't want to be deadlifting with a mammoth of a texas squat bar lol

All the bars at my gym are 45 pounds (except one squat bar which is a bit thicker and 55 lb).. and whenever I deadlift I always pick the skinniest bar I can find since it usually (not all the time) has more flex and I can grip the hell out of it.

14. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I'd have to to check into those federation rules. I know APC, SPF and some of the others I've competed in use separate bars.

Definitely agree about deadlifting with a texas squat bar, no fun there heh.

We have an okie and elieko for deadlift
    For squat we've got, giant camber bar, buffalo bar, 2 texas power bars (1 with full gnurling, 1 just normal), and a safety squat bar.

I'm spoiled I realize.

15. knucks

knucks Senior member

Thoughts, my homobros?

[​IMG]