Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I'm not sure what you think this study says... Yes, in the abstract the study draws the conclusion that meal frequency doesn't affect fat loss, but if you read the treatment protocol in the study, you find this:

One meal/d comprising 75-80% of energy intake was served at 12.45-13.45 hours. The remaining 20-25% of intake was distributed throughout the day to allow drinks of fruit juice or milk for tea and coffee.

We can't call it IF when, although the person is only having one meal a day, they are spending the rest of the day drinking 25 percent of that day's calories as fruit juice. The causal theory for why IF works is that extended periods of fasting lead to low levels of insulin and high(er) of cortisol - thereby increasing fat burning significantly. This desired hormone response would be very significantly counter-acted by 200-300 calories of fruit juice throughout the day.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Ordered my new weight set on eBay today, hope the courier comes round the back and its in a few boxes. Going to check my bank account now to get the cage but I think I'll have to wait until I get paid on Friday. Might do a Smith machine squat if I go back to the gym at the end of the month, see how different my weight is compared to a proper one.

3. Sir Humphrey Appleby

:(

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I quit reading any study when I come across the word "obese". Has nothing to do with me.

5. joshuadowen

I think one of the problems is that most people don't read the study at all, just the conclusion. The vast majority of these nutrition studies are very, very poorly designed. My general rule is that if a study doesn't offer some plausible causal mechanism to explain their findings, it's essentially meaningless.

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

I don't know how it works in the states but in the UK uni researchers have to shit out a paper once a year to carry on getting money from the government, so what some of them do is get data from a small sample size but measure all sorts of things in them, find which variable could support the most shocking headline and write 10 pages of crap on it, then submit it to the Daily Mail for further bastardisation of the truth. If the data had fallen a different way through random variation they would be talking about how one meal a day affects your blood pressure when at maximum heart rate on a tricycle.

Obviously some are good and I think the better regarded unis pay money out of their own pockets without the govt funding to keep good researchers on research projects that naturally take more than a year due to actually having some thought put into them but not all can afford to or have the inclination to do that.

Edit: just noticed its from 1981. Small sample size and widely varying ages, mostly female with just one group having three males makes me wonder how relevant these conclusions are to people in this thread, let alone whether they bear any resemblance to the truth.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Saenek

Saenek Senior member

That's really cheap for bumpers, I might have to pick some up soon at that price haha

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Texas Power bar is a generic term. A lot of strength equipment manufacturers come out of Texas and so everyone likes to put "Texas" in front of it. Elitefts is by far and out the best version of the bar.

9. LM16

LM16 Senior member

IF works for those that are on the smaller side in terms of gaining size but not so much for those that are larger and have higher caloric demands. I gave it a try and there was just no way I could get the calories needed in such a short time span. I do believe it's great for behavioral reprogramming.

10. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Meh, stay away from the smith for squatting. Unnatural bar path is great for injuries.

11. Sir Humphrey Appleby

I know, would only do it once just to see how much more weight I could do.

Is the Smith machine good for anything other than as a very intrusive and expensive pullup bar?

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Inverted rows hahaha

13. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I'm sure there is as I believe everything does have a purpose, you just have to know when to use it. I've just not found a use for the smith machine that can't be done better by some free weight version of it.

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I've done this before... only got one set in before someone asked to work in. Power cage remained vacant all night.

15. joshuadowen

One of the problems with nutrition/fitness studies is that most are epidemiological. This is a necessity, since there are very few conditions under which scientists can ethically force extreme diets on people in the way that they can on rats. The problem is that epidemiology isn't really science, and unless the correlation discovered by such a study is astronomically large, it doesn't mean much. Even in this meal frequency study, which was at least a scientific study (control groups, controlled conditions, etc.), the scientists were only able to look at correlations. In a system as large and complex as human nutrition, correlation doesn't mean much unless the correlation is really really really big, and it almost never is. And so you get studies that say things like eating red meat correlates to a 15 percent high mortality risk. News organizations take that and say "see, red meat is bad for you." The truth is that a 15 percent correlation doesn't mean anything, especially without any explanation for what might be the cause.

This meal frequency study is even worse, because it doesn't even make sense. Giving someone 25 percent of the calories throughout the day as juice or milk and 75 percent as a single meal isn't even really controlling meal frequency. I suppose you could say it's controlling for caloric distribution, but that's a really different thought.