Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Is there that big of a difference? I suppose the most I put on the bar is 170kg so I'm not really gonna bend anything. Why the 2 different bars for deads and squats?

2. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Deadlift bars don't have gnurling on the center and are completely smooth so as to prevent your shins from being torn apart. They also have a bit more flex in the middle. Squat bars have gnurling in the middle since you need it so the bar doesn't slide down your back.

There is huge differences between bars, not just between squat bars and deadlift bars, but between brands. I can usually tell which bar I'm lifting with based on the stiffness, bend, cut of the gnurling and how thick it is. If you ever get to use quality barbells you'll never want to go back.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I only talk lifting with ppl at my oly gym. Anywhere else it's always oh you do OL you must bench a lot

tfw using eleiko $1.5k bars for baby weight snatches (and < lmao2plaet cleans too).

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I love me a texas deadlift bar :)

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to pass on the chains, safety/camber bars, Eleiko anything, etc. I'm not at a level that would require any of that anytime soon (or possibly ever) and still have a budget to try to adhere to. Also wish I had the room to pull a sled.

- won't be doing any oly lifting at home
    - any point in getting 2" dumbbell handles? i already have some semi-cheesy ones with 1" handles and a bunch of plates
    - any particular recs on benches?
    - trying to get a single do-it-all bar right now... budget is around $300
    - is my concrete floor going to be okay if i drop a loaded bar with iron plates from deadlift height onto a 3/4" thick stall mat? not drop, but you know, let down fast. no piping running underneath it

6. LM16

LM16 Senior member

1. If you aren't doing any oly lifting at home then I'd pass on bumper plates. No need honestly and they're very expensive.
    2. I have 2" DB handles and it's nice because you can load them heavier with 25 lb plates - if you have a need for going up to 200-250 lb DB's then get a pair or have a local welder make you a pair.
    3. Can't say I have a preference on adjustable benches - find a used one and check the height out. I've found adjustable benches vary greatly on how high off the ground they are, I'm only 5'8" so some are too high for me to plant my feet on the ground which I don't like.
    4. Texas barbell is your do-it-all bar, maybe a bit more than 300 but if you pass on the bumper plates it's definitely doable. That is by far the best do-it-all bar on the market - http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=211&pid=378 - $385. Absolutely worth it considering the use you'll get.
    5. I'd double up on the mats though we do 700-800 lb rev band deadlifts on just 3/4" mat and haven't busted any concrete over at our place yet but since it's your home, you may want to double up on the mats just to be safe.

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

1. Point taken. Was mostly an effort to keep the floor safe
    2. Point also taken... and I'm sure those handles are relatively inexpensive
    3. Will do. Height shouldn't be an issue (5'11" with short arms/long legs)
    4. Is "Texas Power Bar" a generic term? I knew Elite FTS had their own (don't know who manufactures it) but I also saw Troy and Cap had their own as well.
    5. I'm a chicken lobster compared to you krakens.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

nm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I wish I could take credit for this, but does Bane even lift??

[​IMG]

Monday - Shrug day
    Tuesday - Shrug day
    Wednesday - Shrug day
    Thursday - Everything else
    Friday - Shrug day
    Saturday - comeatmebatman

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

^^ :lol: (functional strength / aesthetics)

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

IF may be bro-sciency, but I have yet to see anyone who sticks to it not see great results. The same could probably be said for other diet structures, but IF has certainly worked well for me.

14. Saenek

Saenek Senior member

Been lurking this thread for a while, really good reading. I've only been training about 6 months so still really in the novice/beginner stage, running a 3 day SS right now with equipment I set up in my 'dining room', I just have a basic power rack, bench, and a dip station set on some horse stall mats. Probably going to get some adjustable dumbbells and do IA's routine in the near future.

Body weight ~165 depending on if I've taken a growler that day - 5'9"

Bench: 160x5x3
    OHP: 105x5x3
    Squat: 270x5x3
    DL: 310x5

Not great but I'm a 31 yr old azn and hadn't touched a barbell in like 10+ years since college, and I trained like a clueless idiot back then haha.

My work sucks in that I have to wake up around 6 just to get there by 7, but thankfully with the shit in my house I can just get home and knock out a workout at any time. That also effects the amount of sleep I get, which is usually 6-7 hours a night during the week, and I frankly haven't been eating enough protein - something I've been trying to remedy this past month or so. Running a bit chubs at 14-15% BF right now.

For the guy looking at putting together a home gym:

I spent maybe a grand, probably a bit more now with the extra plates / dip station. All delivered to my house since I don't have a truck to go haulin shit around in. You can probably do better trolling craigslist, depending on where you live - you can probably put a setup together for half that.

The rack I got is the Valor BD-7 :

http://www.amazon.com/Valor-Athletics-Inc-BD-Power/dp/B002EJC990

And these plates/bar: Tons cheaper than bumpers since I don't do any oly stuff yet. Mediocre (600 lb test?) bar but fine for me atm, will buy a better bar in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/VTX-300-Pound...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339025896&sr=1-1

Then I bought some extra matching 45's from Wayfair, pretty good pricing with a coupon and free freight.

The cage is pretty good, a bit lightweight but fine for a home setup I think. It has a lat pulldown and low cable attachment for doing... stuff.. I never use that but for the price it works well, I just have that sitting on horse mats but I'm probably going to borrow my friend's truck and get some plywood and some more mats to make a firmer foundation.

Alright, time to do some dumbbell curls bros - I gotta put some mirrors up on my dining room wall so I can stare at myself while I get my yoke on.

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

i'm surprised at how similar our stories are. anyway, was considering bumpers since wayfair was running a sale/coupon on pendlay econs... the set i was looking at was ~$1.50/lb delivered. prices change daily, but this was only 2 days ago