Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I pretty much stick to my two-way split, which I covered in another thread. The only recent modification I've made is the addition of RDL's and front squats to the mix (I need to bring up my hammies and front squats wreak havoc on your abs and core).

As for the DL issue, hendrix made some excellent points. Tbh I doubt my own form is picture perfect when the reps decrease, but I've never had any pain or problems with my back after heavy pulls, so I'm going with that.

2. chictimberland

chictimberland New Member

The good news is that you can stop the cycle before it gets bad. When you start to notice signs of tension, talk to your partner. This may seem like the last timberland womens boots thing in the world you want to do, but this five-minute talk can be the difference between you ending timberland mens boots up in an unhealthy relationship or keeping timberland boots safe.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's numbers on squat/deadlift/bench? This isn't a dick-wave, as my numbers aren't good - I just want to see everyone's current 1RM's, for curiosity's sake. I squat 225, DL 285, and bench... 180 [​IMG] though I do pause it at the bottom.

Deadlift 1rm 400lbs
    Bench i don't know but did 5x200 today
    Squat don't know, do 5x250

my deadlift is quite strong compared to my other lifts.

4. APK

APK Senior member

How are you guys structuring your exercise? I see lots of "tried this today, haven't done this for a few weeks" etc. a lot. I've been doing the same program with a few variations for a year now - IA's SPBR, then the same thing with different rep ranges, back to SPBR, now on an 8x3 with the same kinda structure. I can't imagine arbitrarily dropping exercises here or there - I find consistency to be the one thing that keeps me going.

I finished Fat Loss I from the New Rules of Lifting a couple of weeks ago. I moved on to Strength I after that. This program calls for deadlifts, which is why I brought them back. There's also a day that calls for chin-ups, but I switched it to pull-ups for the reason mentioned in my first post (plus, there's longer rest periods, so it's not inconceivable to do the prescribed reps).

Most of the NROL programs follow a four-day format, but I like to get in the gym on Saturday, too, and just sort of dink around with some things, so long as it's not too heavy of lifting. Something like banging out 50 reps of certain exercises (chin-ups, dips) over many sets.

My numbers are pretty sad for a guy who's been following lifting programs three of the last four years. A good chunk of time went toward endurance-type lifting, so I was often more concerned about volumizing work in a prescribed time than adding more weight to lifts through a smaller overall workload.

I'm in Week 3 of the strength program, which is the first one I've done in two years. My 1RM as of last week was 215/215/165. I suck at bench, too. Truthfully, though, I've always felt like I got more out of the DB bench rather than the barbell bench.

I'm definitely letting my body have a say in what's up. So far, no actual pain. Maybe a bit of muscle soreness, but nothing that a little foam rolling doesn't alleviate. I'm just paranoid about that going to rip the bar off the ground and throwing out my back or something.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's numbers on squat/deadlift/bench? This isn't a dick-wave, as my numbers aren't good - I just want to see everyone's current 1RM's, for curiosity's sake. I squat 225, DL 285, and bench... 180 [​IMG] though I do pause it at the bottom.
    Bench 245 (Not sure if i got help or not with this one, definitely can do 225) Squat: 265 (haven't pushed it) Deadlift: 285--> weakest by far OHP: 140 (153ish lbs, 5'6") I used to be pretty bro-mode so those #'s are not surprising.

6. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Woot! 10 more lbs. and I'll be at BW press!

7. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I put on 10 pounds in 12 days while engaging in thorough full body weight training in addition to large calorie surpluses, every day. Ate everything I could get my hands on that wasn't pure sugar or halloween candy.

I am going to spend the next 4-5 days doing cardio and cutting the fat to see what now lies beneath.

Losing the fat while maintaining (i.e. not losing) the new muscle is always walking a tight rope but with proper diet, endurance (i.e lighter weight) lifting, and plenty of cardio it can be accomplished.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

hendrix' stats are crazy

9. APK

APK Senior member

No way most of that new weight isn't fat given the small window of time.

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

No way most of that new weight isn't fat given the small window of time.
    I do think a good bit of it is fat, but regardless, maybe a 2-4 lbs of muscle -- on the optimistic side. We'll see [​IMG] (edit; after giving this some educated thought, gaining 2-4 lbs of muscle over the course of 12 days is very difficult. I think these new 10 lbs are a vast majority composed of fat -- and especially after looking closer at the picture). Are posting shirtless pics here considered "gay'? I'm not gay, but I think visuals help a lot when displaying 10 day's ago "me" versus today's me. It's kind of amazing. I've learned I can manipulate my body in relatively quick periods of time. But only...only when employing the strictest discipline around diet, cardio, and weight training. Like one of those actors you see on television...and you're like, "wait, I just saw that dude on movie xyz - he was fat as hell! Look at him now!". Like on a Christian Bale type tip. No supplements of any kind other than 2 scoops of Whey (one pre, one post workout) 3-4 days a week. Always do my cardio on an empty stomach. I know it's bad for you, but I even avoid water, unless in tiny amounts. Intense cardio + anything in my stomach starts to give me severe cramps around the 10 minute mark. I know cardio on an empty stomach is a debatable topic but I don't have a lot of options unfortunately. meh; here is a pic. This is +10 pounds from 12 days ago (a lot of eating, a good amount of lifting - little to zero cardio other than 5 minute warmups). I even picked up a little man-boobage in the process. I might have to set aside my henleys for a while. [​IMG] 10 pounds lighter. A little slimmer. 12 days ago. Sorry for the poor pic. [​IMG]

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Shirtless pics are all over bb.com.

Here, nobody will judge you...probably.

12. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Would be very helpful to have a way to add weight to your chins/dips, assuming you're incorporating these. It sort of defeats "bodyweight", but adding weight will definitely help in terms of growth/strength.

Assuming you are talking about 10+lbs of muscle, it would be quite an achievement to do so even with the help of weights in 2 months.

I wasn't asking about how possible it is, just an ambitious (I don't think it is unreachable) goal knowing my body/level of fitness.

13. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Okay, I just realized I was responding to inquiries that weren't even directed at me [​IMG]

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Deadlift 1rm 400lbs
    Bench i don't know but did 5x200 today
    Squat don't know, do 5x250

my deadlift is quite strong compared to my other lifts.

I am really amazed at the difference between deadlifts and squats. I have to work more on my deadlifts.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Dont panic slack tide, it seems that most of what you picked up is just what bro's refer to as "water weight" - especially if you upped your carbs noticeably that refills your bodys glycogen, and with it comes some water as well. Putting on 10 pounds would require something like +35 000 cals (if you're strict on SI measurements, thats actually kcal), so unless you were hanging at +3000 cals per day you'll be fine. Also,
    Woot! 10 more lbs. and I'll be at BW press!
    This is commendable, wish I was @ those numbers with my OHP.