Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Well if looks are your concern, I think you're really going to sell yourself short by not having a dedicated back day. I'd argue you should deadlift at least occasionally, but if you're going for looks you should be doing heavy back exercises weekly.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

whats your working capacity in lifting? i dont mean numbers, i mean you have been laying down some real talk + results + are coaching high level collegiate athletes, so you know whats up, but are you employed in the field at all or is this just a labour of love for you?

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

If you don't like deadlifts give up deadlifts and just do more squats/front squats.

Good day back at the gym. Got 38s for 3x8 on db incline. Threw in a set of pull ups and 2 sets of band dislocations between every set I did today. That lat pump feels good man.

LM16 posted a thread when he joined about his coaching services so I'm guessing thats his job. Was fairly cheap if I remember $300 for 12 weeks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

4. gort

gort Senior member

What are your macros and how much of a daily surplus are you running?

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

So i've had a sinus infection for about a week now. Have not had any appetite. Only worked out like once this week and I've had a pretty lazy May playing a lot of golf and barely working out. I"m wasting away. I htink I'm down about 5lbs and i don't even want to know how weak my lifts are. But being all dehydrated and skinny has left me pretty aesthetic for summer.

6. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I have been employed in the past though at the bequest of my lady/family I went back into contract work as a Business Intelligence Developer due to the lesser travel and more money. I do co-operate a powerlifting gym and oversee trainer development as well as continue to coach high caliber athletes. So it's a bit of both. My regular job is 7-4, I coach from 4:30-7:30 or so, and then I get my training in after and on various weekends I put on various in-services/seminars at our gym. I also run an online nutrition and consulting business that I maintain a set number of clients on for residual income - usually working with self-motivated people, or again athletes for their off-season training around the country. I'm a man of many jobs but "this" is ultimately my passion and what I love. Eventually I'd like to open a few GNC's (worked for GNC for about 5 years as well) as a franchisee but still just saving up start-up funds and looking for an investor.

www.valhallatrainingsystem.com is my site and my services if you'd like to check it out. I try to keep it updated and ultimately it's a blog that I've repointed to my own domain so as to save on web-site construction costs so you'll see random comments from other people as well.

7. LM16

LM16 Senior member

That is correct. I try to make my prices competitive and more affordable since the economy has simply sucked and everyone has been hit. If I can improve someones life while making a little bit of money I'm happy, I get a lot of value out of simply seeing success and results and have never felt someone should charge something ridiculous like $1500-$2000/12 weeks for some online services (those are more in line with my in-person training rates.

It is both training and nutrition services (I oversee both as they truly are synergystic - you can have the best training program in the world but bad nutrition can sabotage it every time).

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Well get back at it! Might as well stop the damage from continuing and get back striving towards your physical goals.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

200g of protein, and however many carbs/fats it takes to get me to a 500 cal surplus. I don't really monitor carbs and fats unless I'm cutting. This is with intermittent fasting, btw.

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

jelly as fuck. my fancy expensive gym does shit like removing a bench and replacing it with an expensive vibrating platform to massage your glutes (no joke... google "power plate"). they must also be running a special because there are all sorts of new idiots in the weight room these days... and last monday night, my favorite cardio bunny told me she's moving and that's her last day there. as a result, i started looking into putting together a garage setup (2 car garage... only 1 car to park). as much as i'm going to miss seeing/hearing completely asinine shit in the ~45min i'm at the gym, it's not really worth the $$$/mon.

so far, looking at:
    - horse stall mats (local horse supply shop willing to deliver)
    - bar (something decent where the knurling stays off my shins)
    - bumper plate set
    - squat stand with arms or full cage
    - bench (not sure if i should get an adj or just a flat one)

did i miss anything? so far, all of this is looking to be just over a year's worth of membership and gas driving to and fro

EDITS:
    - maybe dumbbells? (i wouldn't even know wtf to get... only db movement i've done in the last 6 mon is bench press)
    - DISCLAIMER: i'm still weak as fuck according to the graphicnovelty/exrx baseline. bench and ohp are beyond that line... squat and deadlift are almost there

11. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Plate loading handles/collars
    Get the adjustable bench
    Bands/Chains
    Bars - get a texas power bar for bench/squatting and get an elieko or okie for deadlifting (these are expensive but amazing). I've also got a safety squat bar and a giant cambered bar that I use for squatting and good mornings.
    Get a full rack, if you can get one with 2" holes instead of the standard 3". You'll find you the extra ajdustability is great
    Unless you're really intent on the olympic lifts and your olympic lifter I'd just go with regular plate weight and spend the money you save on better barbells. You can build your own platform quite easy which in conjunction with horse mats will make it safe to drop (though I wouldn't recommend doing high pulls or something where you're truly having it crash from 5 feet in the air or so).
    Boards (make your own way cheaper)

Not a whole of extra addons but I think it's better to get quality equipment instead of a lot of the cheaper stuff they have around.

Sled/Prowler. Both are great for conditioning and for recovery.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I find it easier to throw after an upper body day than to run hard after a leg day, but I think after a week or two I might adjust to the kind of schedule you're proposing.

I disagree with this. As you can see from my goals, I'm not really a beefy guy. Eating for aesthetics wouldn't help that much..

Looks aren't my main concern, but this is a valid point. I've got pull-ups for upper back but I'm definitely missing a solid lower back exercise. I guess I'll just stick with it and hopefully if I keep up with my assistance work my DL will just go up slowly over time. I did GHRs for a little bit but there isn't a good place for me to lock my feet into, so I just do GMs.

I think I may switch it up to the following:

M: DL
    T: Back squat
    W: Sprints
    H: Bench
    F: Front Squat
    S: Football

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

I really don't think bacon needs a texas power bower or an eleiko. Thats like 1.5k in bars. Probably doesn't need chains or boards either. I agree with the adjustable bench, plate loaded dbs and normal plates.

14. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Eating for aesthetics is about 90% of success in looking good nekid. When I say eat for aesthetics, I'm not saying you need to pack on the calories and the size, I'm saying eat for your actual goal. If you want to get lean - then eat in a manner that will have you going for your goal. Want to put on muscle? Eat in a manner that will have you going for your goal. Most of the time it isn't the program that is the problem with people seeing goals, it's their nutrition.

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Need? Probably not. But they are oh so nice. Buy nice, not twice as I like to say when it comes to gym equipment. I've bent a lot of bars though at commercial gyms so I finally started forking money over to get some decent ones.