1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

so awesome :slayer: chop the back 3 feet off of that platform and you have my entire lifting space. jelly indeed
    yes, this is my experience. working out at home means i am spared from gym fail, but ugh... i've heard more about bodybuilding.com and the magical programs it has than in the past week than i care to know about.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

Um, he specifically said he thought he'd need oly shoes. I don't think oly shoes help much with deadlifts, at least not in my experience.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Distinguished Member

On the note of deadlifting in socks, I've found that yoga socks really improve your grip on the floor and prevent you from slipping. I'd recommend giving them a try. I use them for both squats and deadlifts and love them.

[​IMG]

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

Sorry, I wasnt clear. I am the last person that should be wearing oly shoes, I am a lifting novice. I just need some sort of shoe that will give me grip on that wood and wont be bouncy. That grip sock idea is pretty cool as an alternative.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Why not just get a pair of deadlift slippers?

6. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Chucks, kungfu shoes.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

7. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

I'm about to get lambasted but I think I'm going to give up DL. I've hit a plateau and it's really embarrassing squatting and benching more than I DL. Here's my core exercise schedule:

M: Bench
    T: Back squat
    W: Sprints
    H: Front squat
    F: Bench
    S: Football

I could switch out one of the bench days for DL but eh, I'm on the fence.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Distinguished Member

Before we can give you advice on your routine...what are your fitness goals?

9. deadly7

deadly7 Distinguished Member

Looking to get to comfortable weights at >2 plate bench and somewhere in between 2-3 plate squat and then maintain until I'm old and wrinkly. No real desire to compete, do oly stuff, or add weight every week. I mostly lift to improve my ability to play sports (run faster, throw farther, hit harder) and for looks.

10. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

do you have your week set up like that because of not wanting to do lower before football? seems like you could recover better with upper/lower/upper/lower instead of upper/lower/lower/upper, but you know your schedule better than i. deadlifts and front squats work together pretty nicely..

11. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Having pretty good success with my attempt to quit smoking. Been almost a week now, and I'm eating like a pig. I want to hit the gym as this seems a great window for some (relatively) easy mass gains. Good startout routine for this purpose? Or am I over-thinking it and I just need to squat, bench and go home.

12. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

Lift for strength, eat for aesthetics. All those goals are most definitely reachable. I deadlift maybe once every 16 weeks, yet am getting close to a 600 lb deadlift. In sports - strength is paramount to running faster, throwing harder, and very rarely do you see someone that "looks strong" being weak.

Say what you do on a specific day doesn't really help though since obviously there is so much more that goes into a program. Your load, intensity, and ability to recover are often more important than the actual exercises.

13. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

Www yeaaa 65.6kg snatch.
    Something is starting to click.

14. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

LOL WUT. You see this all the time.

15. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

Strength as defined by "average person". You see someone that actually looks strong and they usually are at least strong by traditional standards. They may not be super strong at bench/squat/deadlift if they've never done it but if I see someone that is just "cock-diesel farm-boy strong" chances are they probably have some decent strength. Strength is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, what many here would consider strong, I would consider a warm-up, so that's why I qualified the above statement by saying "strong for the average person".