Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rooy

Rooy Active Member

Seems to work for you, but do you do exercises at all where your elbows are not locked in? My elbows would kill me if I only did barbell stuff and pullups.
    So you tell me that while doing rows/pullups/pulldowns you fail your last rep because you had no strength left in your biceps and not your back? [​IMG]
    And yeah I am not talking about pre-fatiguing but the exercises done in a normal way. Crazy. Goes against everything I have experienced and read up till now, but you obviously seem to have more experience.

2. Rooy

Rooy Active Member

Third try posting this, forum hates me.
    Anyway, knucks, do you do any dumbbell exercises? My elbows would kill me if I only did barbell stuff and pullups.

LM16, you mean you fail the last rep of pullups/rows/pulldowns because you have got no strength left in your biceps and not your back? Goes against everything I have experienced or read up till this point, but you have got obviously way more experience.

3. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yes. Chances are you're failing with pullups, rows, pulldowns because you cannot pull the weight fully into your chest which requires higher utilization of the forearms and biceps (at the bottom of those movements the ratio of back:bicep/forearm is much greater) due to the in decreased leverages of the back. The easiest example would be the pullup. How often do you see someone do a pullup and them only get about half way up? The lats are much more engaged at the bottom of the pullup - and stronger than the biceps/forearm as well as being in a biomechanically advantageous position - which allows them to get to that half way position and it's the biceps/forearms that fail to help get them to the completion of the rep.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I have a job which requires "functional strength". I have to lift boxes of juice, sandwiches and milk (occasionally Im on dat der fresh fish time where the boxes are really wide so I'm considering doing snatch grip deadlifts because for me they are very functional). I obviously have to clean the boxes to put them on shelves. Does anyone have a good program with a heavy emphasis on cleans and deads so that I can perform my job well? I assume I'm gonna have to change over from sumo to conventional because picking up boxes with a sumo stance will make me look like a retard. Also I've been using a belt for the past 9 months, which has also made me not "functional". plz style forum help me become functional, all I have done up to now is curls and bench, I feel so vain and pathetic.

5. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Well done fuji, well done haha.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

have you out-alpha'd your beta girly-man boss yet? you gotta let him know who runs things

7. virus646

virus646 Senior member

oh fuji.

Jarude: have the coach prescribed you something similar to what mrchairybrown was running? (SPBR modified) I do not want the exact recipe, just a bit curious to what John would give to someone your level which is similar to mine.

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

Not...locked...in?

What does that mean, I'm 12 and wat is this?

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

He's stopped being a prick now. No longer bitches at me. Gave me 2 weeks paid leave after working for a month. Feels good man.

Srs though, I'm having a hard time lifting the boxes. Considering perfecting my continental clean form because generally I rest the box at my waist then clean it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Plz teach me to be functional.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. knucks

knucks Senior member

fuji trolling move along

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

not sure yet, he'll send it over to me in a day or so. all of my experience with him is pretty much an extension of the programs he posts at ia, which is pretty much squat/bench/deadlift/bench assistance. the movements and rep ranges vary depending on the goal, but it always fits into that 4 day week.

i have probably lost a lot of strength while i was doing volume stuff so i'll have to work my way back up again

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Without quoting large sections of what people have said all day:

LM16: the rehab angle makes complete sense, and I'll admit that's something I hadn't thought of.

To be honest, this is one of those cases where my position got more extreme throughout the dialogue. This all started with my horror at someone posting something to the effect of "i'm quitting compound lifts to focus on my arms." I was using "curling and tricep extensions" as a symbol of this sort of that attitude, rather than meaning to attack all use of the movements themselves.

13. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Started 3rd week base meso on Smolov yesterday, [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

New job too so have to lift after work, prime bro-time, I least I get my squat rack and just stay there forever.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Up to 8 pounds gained in lean bulk. Ooohhhhhhh yeahhhhhh.:slayer:

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I just take a bit of a unique approach to training and staying injury free. I coach very top tier high school and collegiate athletes with tremendous training volumes and injury prevention is one of my major things I have to worry about in regards to them. It's compounded with the high school athletes in that I can preach about nutrition all day every day and they'll simply ignore it or eat what their parents give them so they tend to not ever fully recover. Half my job is performance related, the other half is keeping the kids actually able to perform.