Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I hate this. How are curls and extensions useless? inb4 "all you need for big biceps is rows and deads" I swear the only people who say this have 13" pythons. They also keep the elbow joint healthy. Tricep extensions will help with your press and bench press and will give you bigger tris then presses alone.

I perform none of the 3 powerlifts. Well I box squat. Haven't done a free squat since novemberish.

I hope this doesn't become the random fashion thread where we will discuss the psychology or something behind "modern aesthetics". Jarude looks aesthetic, I'm jelly of his pecs. Training for aesthetics doesn't mean you're necessarily training to compete in body building or look exactly like a greek statue. Means your training to look good. Doubt zyzz carefully examined greek statues and tried to get his measurements perfect for "modern aesthetics or whatever the fuck that means. I doubt if jarude trained specifically for bodybuilding he'd look particularly different as he is natty. Once I go on gear I might change to slightly more bb style training.

I'm in a bad mood because I just worked 11 hours, I haven't lifted since friday and I just looked at this boys fb who I used to be really good friends with. His whale gf posted a song by natty on his wall and his reply was "Aww so cute baby, I love you xxxxxxxx"
    SO MUCH FUARKING BETA WHY THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE THAT SHIT PUBLIC ON FB. He used to lift with me, had a 50kg deadlift and a 40kg squat. Strong correlation between having a low deadlift and being a fucking pussy.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

It's useless from a strength point of view because your arms just aren't that important. I think it's telling that your major argument in favor or arm isolation exercises are that they make your arms bigger. This is bodybuilding. That's fine if it is what you are into, but genuine strength has very little to do with how big you can make your muscles. Big three lifts + bodyweight/gymnastics work will not necessarily make you big, but they will make you strong. There's a huge difference.

My original point was that when someone claims to be on a strength training program, and then worries about not doing enough "arm work," I tend to write them off. I'll be honest, I don't quite get bodybuilders, but I try to accept that it's a reasonable goal. I just think people should understand the difference between bodybuilding and strength training, and should be honest with themselves about what they actually want out of training.

Edit: From my reading back through this thread, it seems you were a very skinny teenager, and got into lifting in order to look strong. That's fine, but the world is full of guys who don't look as strong as you, who could kick your ass in any number of physical challenges.

Even if your primary goal is looking strong, I think it's a mistake not to deadlift. There's no single exercise that more strongly correlates to overall health and quality of life than the deadlift.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

NOT pulling off the floor everytime you lift is fucking insane

/lang out

e. obviously not talking bout dls since I don't dl

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

Eh I like my deadlifts but don't think I can do them more than twice a week.

5. joshuadowen

Once a week is as often as is recommended for max or near max efforts. Deadlifts require a lot of recovery. On average I probably deadlift once per week, and then clean or snatch at least once.

6. Rooy

Rooy Active Member

This kind of narrows down being strong = being a powerlifter = having big numbers in the big 3. I think you should add that arm isos are in your opinion not that important for powerlifting. Now ask a strongman, who i think we can all agree is also training for strength and not aesthetics, if curls make him stronger. Or someone lifting things in real life w/o straight arms and not out of an ideal deadlift position. My point is that strength is always about being strong in certain excercises/tasks/whatever.
    Moreover you can't progress on your lifts and get stronger unless you stay healthy and curls/extensions do help with elbow health. That does not mean that curls are essential for powerlifters, but some sets of curls with good form at the end of a workout do have their place.

7. joshuadowen

I'd go broader than just the big three lifts. As I've said before, I think everyone should also be doing pushups, pullups, and dips. Throw in other gymnastics type work - rings, handstands, etc. - and I think you've got the entire upper body covered. What is it you think curls/extensions do for elbow health that can't be accomplished as a compound, functional movement?

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

[​IMG]

curl if you want to, do tricep extensions if you want to; i think the functional strength thing needs to die and never be heard from again. unless lifting and moving heavy shit repeatedly is part of your job, functional strength is dumb. functional strength is when trainers at the y make little old ladies do farmer walks with 5lb dumbbells to make them better at carrying their groceries.

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

You've got this kneejerk reaction to the term functional, but you should really consider what it means when someone who primarily does the big 4 and hill sprints says it.

10. joshuadowen

That's a bro attitude, and you should be better than that. Functional strength matters, and not just for guys who have to move heavy shit on a daily basis. Training for functional strength is not just about getting as strong as you can in the short term, but also about staving off decrepitude in the long term. At some point - hopefully - all of us hit 50 years old, 60 years old, 70 years old, 80 years old. The bicep curls you did when you were 25 aren't going to help much then, even if you keep them up in the intervening years. The squats and deadlifts matter. Building up as much functional strength as possible in your youth and continuing to train these movements throughout your life are what allow you to live independently as an octogenarian; to stand up on your own, to carry groceries, to pick things up off the ground. When you lose the ability to perform these movements, you lose the ability to take care of yourself. And so we train them while we are young, and strong. Is being able to deadlift 500 lbs important to my life now? Not often. Every once in a while it comes in handy to be able to lift something heavy without it being that much work. But it's not about how strong I am now. It's about staying strong as I get older. It's about preventing injuries by knowing how to lift heavy objects safely. It's about health and quality of life. These are not things bicep curls get you, or cable flies, dumbell shrugs. Those movements get you big arms, big pecs, and big shoulders. And maybe those things get you more girls and more attention, but at some point, we all have to grow up.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

That's largely how I feel about it, in addition to:

Got to raise that bone density.

And it's important to be able to lift that heavy object safely once a year (couch, etc). Those are the events where people "throw out their back" and get fucked.

12. knucks

knucks Senior member

i think i may give this "russian" squat program a shot for 5-6 weeks and see how it goes since i'm already squatting 3x a week.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Also, my left hand has been going numb, feels like something carpal tunnel related (thumb, pointer, middle). It went away when I wasn't snatching as often, but now it's back...(waking up with a numb hand, usually)..

14. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Welcome to the beginning stages of Carpal Tunnel, I had the same exact symptom and I went to a chiropractor who did some light therapy, trigger-point and adjustments that helped out a TON, I'd look into something like that. If you don't it'll just get worse and good luck gripping a bar when your hand is completely numb...

15. joshuadowen

This happened to me about a year ago. I had carpal tunnel tests done that came up negative. It ended up being a bulging disk at my C5-C6 that was pushing just a little bit on the nerve. This is apparently a fairly common problem when people without great posture start lifting heavy weights overhead. Correcting my posture and sleeping position has helped a lot.

How is your posture? Do you have any neck/upper back pain as well?

This is one you want to be careful with, because if it is a spine problem, you really, really to want to rupture the disk.