• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fuji if I printed this to a full size poster then mailed it to you would you hang it up in your Uni dorm room?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice post and i see where you are coming from. Obviosuly i lol at my original post where i thought that i couldnt gain weight. I speak to others and try to convince them that they arent eating enough, importance of tracking calories etc, and they, just like i once did, dont believe me and say they eat loads. Then i run through their diet with them and its like 2500 calories. They may or may not work it out eventually, but it comes down to dedication, and it didnt take me long of not getting results before i started to "get it." Most people never get it, as far as i can tell.
I've had to quit squatting and deadlifting due to an injury, not choice. My observations are what they are, and that is that they aren't necessary. I used to love deadlifts but since i stopped i feel like i wasted so much energy on them that i never put enough focus on working arms etc. Obviously deadlifts are a good exercise, good for core strength etc.
So, if the people in the gym with the evidence of their success (their physique) tell me one thing, why should i disbelieve them above anonymous guys on the internet? I'm NOT saying that you are wrong, but they are there in real life with the results that i want, so it DOES make sense to observe and learn from them. To say otherwise is "broken logic" IMO.
I am in the gym 3/4 times per week regardless of my complaints on here about my routine. I have pretty succesfully recomped my body over the last couple of months, and have now started bulking. When i complain about my results, its pretty much just me being hard on myself. Most people mire my progress IRL but i just want more and faster. If i bulk for 8 weeks on a higher volume routine, gaint he required amount of weight, and see progress that makes me happy, then i will carry on like that. If not, i will try something different.
My theory on gym is basically
Correct diet > lift heavy weight with certain muscles > those muscles grow.

cool man, sounds good, and you are right about your posting being hard on yourself because from my perspective it sounds like your training is failing bad. the only issue with believing gym dudes is that they will tell you "the way" which may or may not have everything to do with their own genetics and personal situation. there is much more access to better information with better rationale online from more qualified sources. doing triple dropset 5x20 preacher curls because gymbro said so doesn't really help; moreover i found having the constant distraction of "what would gymbro do" a bad influence on program OCD. you will find guys in gyms who can eat garbage and do 6 day isolation volume assaults and still grow and get stronger; modeling your routine and your rationale for training after that is not prudent.

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Abs are made in the kitchen.
I know what you're implying but yeah.

I also know what your implying, but a cut doesn't do **** if you don't have a strong foundation underneath. Being sub-10% bf will make whatever you do have show, but without strong core work there won't be much there.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't deadlift, fuk da polic. Could probably pull 200kgish if I tried though. Squartz all the time though.

Agree with jarude, consistency is the most important thing. Program doesn't matter too much to an extent as long as your putting more weight on your lifts.

A lot of the big cunts at the gym who perform 30 sets for biceps are on gear. You're not on gear. Acquire some test then do that.

Will hang it in the kitchen so I have motivation to eat clean and get dem gains. Except zyzz ate like **** and took DNP. You're gym is not ghetto, it's significantly nicer then mine.

Last edited:

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF sucks sometimes.

Went up early this morning and was at work at 8. Had lunch at 12, and since I'm doing the "One meal pre-workout setup" for IF, this meal is only 20% of total daily calorie intake, which for me is about 600 kcal.

Boss wanted me to stay a bit longer so I could finish some work, and therefore I wasn't at the gym until half past 5.
Was back home just before 7 and had roughly two hours left to get the remaining 80% of daily calories down before the fasting period starts.
That's 2400 kcal in two hours. Let's just say my stomach hurt right now.

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IF sucks sometimes.

Went up early this morning and was at work at 8. Had lunch at 12, and since I'm doing the "One meal pre-workout setup" for IF, this meal is only 20% of total daily calorie intake, which for me is about 600 kcal.

Boss wanted me to stay a bit longer so I could finish some work, and therefore I wasn't at the gym until half past 5.
Was back home just before 7 and had roughly two hours left to get the remaining 80% of daily calories down before the fasting period starts.ย 
That's 2400 kcal in two hours. Let's just say my stomach hurt right now.

Ah, didn't know you were on IF too!

I know that feeling all too well. This is why God created peanut butter.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not know how people train with so little food. I have like 1500 cals right before I lift.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not know how people train with so little food. I have like 1500 cals right before I lift.

Scivation Xtend. I lift at 7am and don't eat until 2pm.

Last edited:

acularw

Reaction score

Scivation Xtend. I lift at 7am and don't eat until 2pm.

Same. I lift at 6:30/7:00ish before work, drink BCAAs before and a couple times after, then eat 12-8 as I find it is pretty convenient (eat lunch at normal time, 2nd meal after work, 3rd meal at 8:00/8:30ish. I usually end up cooking enough food at 5:30 for both evening meals.

One time I tried this same meal timing but lifting at 5:30 after a 12:00 meal. I had absolutely no energy and stomach was growling like crazy because it expected another meal. One of my worst workouts recently. So from now on, I have decided if I drink too much the night before or don't get enough sleep, I will push my workout to the next morning rather than try to workout later in the afternoon.

BTW, what flavors do you buy? I have been using the watermelon but I think I used the blueberry or something blue last year and was not a fan.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same. I lift at 6:30/7:00ish before work, drink BCAAs before and a couple times after, then eat 12-8 as I find it is pretty convenient (eat lunch at normal time, 2nd meal after work, 3rd meal at 8:00/8:30ish. I usually end up cooking enough food at 5:30 for both evening meals.
One time I tried this same meal timing but lifting at 5:30 after a 12:00 meal. I had absolutely no energy and stomach was growling like crazy because it expected another meal. One of my worst workouts recently. So from now on, I have decided if I drink too much the night before or don't get enough sleep, I will push my workout to the next morning rather than try to workout later in the afternoon.
BTW, what flavors do you buy? I have been using the watermelon but I think I used the blueberry or something blue last year and was not a fan.

The grape one. Absolutely delicious! I might try watermelon next...my current tub is about half gone.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bah, now that my neck/shoulder feel much much better my bench is reaching where it was when I injured myself. Only problem is my chest has grown and now my shirts are starting to pull at the second button down... but if i go up to a medium the waist / length will be too long ; ;

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
watching e3, holy **** Dana White has the shittiest gym bro posture I've ever seen

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Nice post and i see where you are coming from. Obviosuly i lol at my original post where i thought that i couldnt gain weight. I speak to others and try to convince them that they arent eating enough, importance of tracking calories etc, and they, just like i once did, dont believe me and say they eat loads. Then i run through their diet with them and its like 2500 calories. They may or may not work it out eventually, but it comes down to dedication, and it didnt take me long of not getting results before i started to "get it." Most people never get it, as far as i can tell.
I've had to quit squatting and deadlifting due to an injury, not choice. My observations are what they are, and that is that they aren't necessary. I used to love deadlifts but since i stopped i feel like i wasted so much energy on them that i never put enough focus on working arms etc. Obviously deadlifts are a good exercise, good for core strength etc.
So, if the people in the gym with the evidence of their success (their physique) tell me one thing, why should i disbelieve them above anonymous guys on the internet? I'm NOT saying that you are wrong, but they are there in real life with the results that i want, so it DOES make sense to observe and learn from them. To say otherwise is "broken logic" IMO.
I am in the gym 3/4 times per week regardless of my complaints on here about my routine. I have pretty succesfully recomped my body over the last couple of months, and have now started bulking. When i complain about my results, its pretty much just me being hard on myself. Most people mire my progress IRL but i just want more and faster. If i bulk for 8 weeks on a higher volume routine, gaint he required amount of weight, and see progress that makes me happy, then i will carry on like that. If not, i will try something different.
My theory on gym is basically
Correct diet > lift heavy weight with certain muscles > those muscles grow.

While I understand where you are coming from, I think that this post highlights one of the problems I was alluding to earlier. You are judging the success of training by the way you look, rather than by how you feel and by what you can do. There are a number of totally reasonable ways to go about training, but I think it's important to understand the fundamental difference between strength training and body building. Genuine strength training will change the way you look - slowly, over time, as you stick with it and get stronger and eat right - but it isn't body building. If you squat, deadlift, and press regularly, there is no area of your body that is being left out. At the same time, you shouldn't put on a lot of size anywhere unless you had muscles that were really underdeveloped in the first place - most people who don't lift have underdeveloped glutes and shoulders.

Without getting too far away from my point, it sounds like you haven't actually made the decision about WHY you are lifting weights. Do you want to be stronger? Do you want to be healthier? Or, do you mostly just want to LOOK stronger and healthier?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads