Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I know, but it's also about guys wanting to get big. My expectation was more that guys were going to rag on him for not wanting to get big. I just meant that NOT wanting to get huge doesn't mean you can't do compounds.

2. Flame

Flame Senior member

i always thought 5x5 on compounds + eating maintenance = strengths gains w/o bulk.

3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

For sure. You can even lift single or triples without bulking, provided your nutrition is dialed in. Bulk is much more about nutrition than anything else.

4. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Sure, compounds alone dont make you bulky, but with a bulking diet they put the weight on certain areas. I guess that entirely depends on your genetics though, for example fuji is twice as strong as me on the squat but still fits into smaller jeans than me. I tend to hover around the 14% BF area so its not like i've ever been fat. None of the guys with good physiques at my gym do ANY compounds, so its not like they are essential.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

soapbox rant
    i understand you are training through adverse conditions and whatnot but...

"jacked guys at gym dont do compounds, therefore, if i want to be jacked, i might not need to do compounds" is a fine example of broken logic. you post in here weekly verbalizing your inner distress over lack of consistency, diet/bulking, aesthetics, what routine you're going to do... etc and it seems compounds are the latest culprit to bad training - and by compound lifts, im assuming youre talking about squats and deadlifts. to be quite honest, i dont think you have enough experience training to determine what works for you and what does not, and making your own routine based on your observations nets you as much success as you've been having. no, doing SS up to a 175lb squat is not enough experience. you've able to draw one successful correlation between doing SS, eating 4k calories daily, and your ass becoming fat. taking that, miring on some curlbros, and extrapolating that to "i dont need to do compounds" is :fu: worthy. i have the world's worse case of hockey butt, am far stronger with my lower body, yet i still squat and deadlift and have an upper body in proportion to my lower. this observation is just as valid as the ones you have made, so why on earth would you use that as a justification to train in a certain way? its because it doesn't affirm your existing confirmation bias that squats + deadlifts = not aesthetic. either way its silly to use an observation supported by a poor correlation for doing a certain program or omitting certain movements.

i hope i am not coming across too harshly, but if you bombed out of SS squatting 175, are jamming 4k cals down daily and are fretting about whether or not to do squat or deadlift because your ass got fat, your head is in the wrong space. you clearly have the motivation to train, so thats good, but resist the temptation of thinking too much when it comes to the gym. if you absolutely positively just do not want to squat or deadlift, great - just do something, be consistent with it + an appropriate diet over a period of time. your initiation to lifting started with that gem of a thread where you insisted in just about every way possible that there was no possible way that your metabolism would allow you to gain weight, so it should be very evident to you that your mind and thought processes are detrimental to your training. you being consistent with a "standard" program involving compound lifts and a non-fatty diet will give you far greater success aesthetically than the most magical high volume hypertrophy aesthetic zyzz-jizzfest perfectly tailored to your muscle fibre composition done inconsistently while eating like a pig.

consistency-->hard work--> suitable program --> suitable diet = aesthetics

not

suitable program--> even more suitable program--> fuck, didnt work = not aesthetic

better program--> even better program--> fuck, didnt work = not aesthetic

best program--> ultimate awesome program--> best suited program-->diet-->hard work--> consistency = not as aesthetic as the first option considering how much time you wasted fiddle-fucking around, not to mention you're still weak

again, im not trying to be a dick or discourage you from training or anything, but im betting the reason you arent hitting your goals has much more to do with consistency, diet, and program hopping than compound movements

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Squats and deadlifts are ABSOLUTELY required to "acquire aesthetics".

How the hell else do you get abs?

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

curls in the skwat rack

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Ask JV. Do dem bosu ballz for the abs and mirin' physiques.

Also, I finally get to go back to lifting this week. fuck yeah, done with mcat.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

zyzz did deadlifts

zyzz = aesthetic

therefore, deadlifts = aesthetics, amirite

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Actually...

[quote name=zyzz]
    If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?

1) Deadlifts – This exercise will transform you body if done every week, correctly. Go hard and have fun with them. Notice how you rarely see people deadlift heavy at the gym? Do you also notice how all these people have average physiques? Put 2 and 2 together.
    [/quote]

via

11. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Nice post and i see where you are coming from. Obviosuly i lol at my original post where i thought that i couldnt gain weight. I speak to others and try to convince them that they arent eating enough, importance of tracking calories etc, and they, just like i once did, dont believe me and say they eat loads. Then i run through their diet with them and its like 2500 calories. They may or may not work it out eventually, but it comes down to dedication, and it didnt take me long of not getting results before i started to "get it." Most people never get it, as far as i can tell.

I've had to quit squatting and deadlifting due to an injury, not choice. My observations are what they are, and that is that they aren't necessary. I used to love deadlifts but since i stopped i feel like i wasted so much energy on them that i never put enough focus on working arms etc. Obviously deadlifts are a good exercise, good for core strength etc.

So, if the people in the gym with the evidence of their success (their physique) tell me one thing, why should i disbelieve them above anonymous guys on the internet? I'm NOT saying that you are wrong, but they are there in real life with the results that i want, so it DOES make sense to observe and learn from them. To say otherwise is "broken logic" IMO.

I am in the gym 3/4 times per week regardless of my complaints on here about my routine. I have pretty succesfully recomped my body over the last couple of months, and have now started bulking. When i complain about my results, its pretty much just me being hard on myself. Most people mire my progress IRL but i just want more and faster. If i bulk for 8 weeks on a higher volume routine, gaint he required amount of weight, and see progress that makes me happy, then i will carry on like that. If not, i will try something different.
    My theory on gym is basically

Correct diet > lift heavy weight with certain muscles > those muscles grow.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Congrats on being done with the mcat. It's a good feeling. I'll have a similar one on June 26th as soon as I finish Step 1.

13. gort

gort Senior member

Abs are made in the kitchen.

I know what you're implying but yeah.

14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

:slayer: I gave up lifting because I was too tired / not focused while taking practice tests, instant 5 point score increase. lolwut. Don't know if that will help you or not, but that's how I grinded through 8+ hour days. Friend of mine just took his Step 1 and he did the same thing, nonstop studying and USMLEWorld. Just gotta wait 30 days for a score report now, ugh.

15. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Some videos of my new American records at the meet the past weekend.