1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. virus646

virus646 Senior Member

Switching to dumbbells on my bench... how much should I drop the weight by?

Ramp it up and find out! Trial and error. I can't speak for others but my dumbells press is around 40-50 lbs less than with a bar.

2. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

for deadlifts, what's the antidote to round backs? i have a hard time maintaining a slightly curved back going up initially and going down.

i think besides that my form is pretty decent

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

for deadlifts, what's the antidote to round backs? i have a hard time maintaining a slightly curved back going up initially and going down.

i think besides that my form is pretty decent

My mental cue is: put your shoulderblades in your back pocket. Pinching your shoulderblades is also a way to keep your back straight in squats.

4. indesertum

as in try and arch back with your shoulders?

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

6. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior Member

Huh- I use flaxseed or Udo's on occasion with my chocolate whey... just tastes a bit nutty/a little sweet.

You're keeping it chilled, right?

Yeah, it's chilled. I just bought it, opened it up and poured it into my shake then refrigerated it. Does the taste change if it's refrigerated? Guess I could just go taste it lol.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Distinguished Member

I've read a lot of material on deadlift form and the "shoulders in your back pocket" seems to represent a minority opinion. It makes more sense to me to deadlift with natural back curvatures (lordosis and kyphosis) which are held rigidly in place. Things like excessive shoulder pinching, shoulder rolling, pelvis thrusting, swayback / layback do not improve form or strength or safety.

I realize that article was posted on Tnation, but I would suggest digging through several Tnation DL articles and drawing your own conclusions.

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Things like excessive shoulder pinching, shoulder rolling, pelvis thrusting, swayback / layback do not improve form or strength or safety.

+1 million.

1. Pinching shoulders back: doesn't really do anything. Of course, you want to keep your chest out and shoulders back, but remember that your shoulders are just the point of transfer from the power coming from your hips.

2. Swayback/layback: People keep telling people to use your legs in the deadlift. Forget about this. Don't squat down, and don't try to keep your back vertical. Your back should be nearly horizontal over the bar. Straight, but horizontal. Your legs should and will lock out before you get to the top, because it's not a squat.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

9. indesertum

it doesnt seem like rippetoe is saying to keep your back horizontal at all. i dont understand this talk of vertical and horizontal back. they're not horizontal or vertical. they're at an angle.

when i do deadlifts my back is more 45 degrees than either horizontal or vertical. I think

i still am not quite sure how to keep my back slightly curved the whole way through.

thanks for the video tho. i forgot about the 10 degrees between your arms and a vertical line before starting the lift

10. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Nah what i'm talking about is people squatting into the lift before they begin, and trying to remain upright during the lift. They say things like "drop your hips" or something like that, which is wrong.

Your back shouldn't go completely horizontal, i'm just saying don't fall into this idea of trying to be upright like a squat.

12. jarude

Search torrent sites for Starting Strength, or go buy it. Watch the videos on deadlifting. Simple!

13. indesertum

^^ ok. i understand what you're saying. thanks for the advice

all the videos are on the wiki i believe. but i still need feedback

14. APK

APK Distinguished Member

I mentioned it a few pages back, but pretending I was trying to bump open a door with my ass helped my form tremendously with the descent portion of the DL. I'm still a little leery of the lift with the heavier weights, though. Pushing through with my hips seems to help, and while I don't exaggerate it, I do a bit of a pelvic thrust to complete the ascension.

Returning to the previously avoided DL has inspired me to tackle some other exercises I've avoided for a while. It's been pull-ups the last couple of weeks. Some attention to technique has at least made it feasible to bang out a succession of reps.

I'm also back using creatine after nearly a year off. Things are aesthetically looking much better in just the two+ weeks I've reintroduced deadlifts, pull-ups, creatine and general strength training to my life.

15. jarude

How are you guys structuring your exercise? I see lots of "tried this today, haven't done this for a few weeks" etc. a lot. I've been doing the same program with a few variations for a year now - IA's SPBR, then the same thing with different rep ranges, back to SPBR, now on an 8x3 with the same kinda structure. I can't imagine arbitrarily dropping exercises here or there - I find consistency to be the one thing that keeps me going. Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's numbers on squat/deadlift/bench? This isn't a dick-wave, as my numbers aren't good - I just want to see everyone's current 1RM's, for curiosity's sake. I squat 225, DL 285, and bench... 180 [​IMG] though I do pause it at the bottom. As for the DL form issues, don't overthink stuff too much. As long as you aren't killing yourself - coming out of the gym in extreme pain - just lift the weight. There are a few key things to know, such as how to set up, and the "order" of the lift (don't squat it!!!!), etc. but beyond that it's simply hard work. Your body will tell you if you're lifting too much or if your form sucks. If you're really that concerned, video yourself, then compare it to the Starting Strength vids.