Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Definitely doable. Why not just drop to the 181's at that weight? I'm probably going to stay at this lower bodyweight and recomp a little over the next few months leading up to worlds and hopefully be sitting at a leaner 196 or so. I feel that'll give me the best shot at winning worlds if my training stays on course.

Also planning on taking a ride on the wild side this year and hopping into some single ply gear and qualifying for the Arnold next year. I'd really like to eventually be able to take down the 815 squat that is the current single ply record across all feds.

Which fed are you competing in? How'd the last meet go?

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

anyone experience upper outer calf pain? its quite bad. my coach says i just need to stretch more but it's always happening from them deep squats. my ankle mobility seems to be good but this seems to happen only on my right leg

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

you are sure this isn't shin splints?

4. knucks

knucks Senior member

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, I've been asked that by a few guys. A few reasons.. right now I'm not strong enough to break any huge 181 records so might as well just get stronger and not worry about my weight. Also, I just "feel" better up here, yanno? I forgot to mention that I'm 5'11" so a lot of veterans, including my coach, says the 181 weight class is not ideal for me anyways. I should Ideally be at least in the 198's and later on, in the 220's.

Keep me (us) updated with how your competitions go.

I competed in the IPA for my first two meets. And then competed in the RPS fed for my last meet. I like how the RPS meets are run and Gene is a really nice guy so I'll probably continue to compete in his fed.

Nothing crazy at my last meet, but set PRs in everything. Looking for 550/350/600 in Nov/Dec.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yes I used to get this on front squats. Really hurt. After I started wearing oly shoes the pain went away.Only happened in one leg as well. Foam rolling my IT band, quad and doing this stretch where someone pushes your foot backwards into your ass (dunno how to describe it really) also helped.

Gonna try 160kg on the squat for 5x5 today , do not want.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've had pain in a similar area after ankle sprains. You might have tweaked something down in your ankle at some point ?

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yah 5'11" is a bit tall for the 181's. I'm only 5'8" or so and really have dropping weight down to a science for myself. I haven't lifted in either of those federations - only SPF/APC for myself though I do intend on doing a USAPL meet this year to qualify for the Arnold and eventually would like to start competing in the IPF as well though I'll still be doing plenty of raw work. I agree about not dropping weight if you're not going to be breaking any records. Doesn't really make sense and you limit yourself as you mentioned though 550/350/600 would be competitive in the 181's. Bringing my pull up this year is my big goal - I herniated a disc back in October and it's still giving me some problems and has hindered my ability to really work on my pull.

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

Yeah not sure - my left I had some stitches by the ankle, so if anything I'd have issues there, but my left calf is fine.

My right hip is tighter than my left, so it could be something farther down the chain but I don't have any mobility issues really. No IT tightness, knee issues, quad tightness..doesn't really make sense.

10. mrchariybrown

Oh nice SPF? You ever compete in the same meet as John Pinder? That's the fed he competes in the most and he's my coach.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

160kg for 4x3, went for the 5th set lost tightness on the box and got pinned, was annoyed. Gym closed early unexpectedly so I didn't have time for a 5th set. A few months ago a huge arab man asked me why im still coming to the gym because I've made no progress, saw him today whilst squatting. He was defo jelly.

12. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Not a clue. I've only done one SPF meet and it was my first meet ever so don't really recall who was there. I probably won't compete in the SPF again due to them having a tendency to call things a bit high on squats and the fact that they're just not super competitive in raw (more of a multi-ply organization).

13. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

I've been going to the gym and lifting for maybe 1 1/2 years now. Always been somewhat active, but I was one of those guys that went to the gym and randomly worked out without any real direction. I won't bomb the thread with multiple questions, but one of my main concerns if my deadlift.

Started deadlift 4-5 months ago and I'd like some tips on how to strengthen my DL and work towards PRs. Currently doing 4x5 (maybe not the best way to go about it?) and I find that the first thing to give out is my grip. Probably something I need to strengthen because I feel I can pull the weight, but my grip gives and I end up dropping or not finishing the pull. Could be my grip technique too. I'm fairly confident in my body form. Asked a few different people in the gym to watch and correct me if I was wrong ( who knows though).

• 5'8 ~150
    • Max DL 1-2 reps 335 - I know not exactly awesome (should my end goal be 3x bodyweight?)
    • Mixed grip on max attempts

A friend recommended trying to ease into hook grip, but even with just single 45s I feel like my thumbs are gonna rip off if I add more weight haha. Any suggestions are appreciated

14. mrchariybrown

Hook grip is a good idea to start learning when you don't have a really high deadlift yet. You're in that position now. You'll never have to worry about grip problems again if you learn the hook grip and deaden the nerves in your thumbs.

If you don't want to use hook grip, start going grip work like plates pinches and static holds. Also, use chalk if you're not using it already.

4x5 is overkill on sets for strength on deadlifts. Stick with 2 sets of 2-5.

The main thing is to get your form/technique down. If it's shit, you aren't going to get anywhere. Another important thing is to locate you weak points and focus on bringing it up. Weak areas will change from time to time so it's important to keep an eye on that.

15. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member