Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I'd say a lot of the pain comes from back squats. I didn't do any squats today thought and it started hurting really bad, just some heavy over head press. Could be because I did squats the day before though. Doesn't usually hurt on presses, did incline db on monday pain free.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Train legs for strength, don't really care if my legs get any bigger, just want a stronger squat. Cannot do true 5 rep maxes multiple times a session with 5 minute breaks.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yikes... during my 1 rep bench set my lower right back got really tight in the middle of the rep and continued to stay tight for 20 mins. I stretched it out a little after working and now at home with an ice pack on it. It feels fine (who will know, we will see tomorrow) but I want to address how this happened before I do it again and worse. I bench like a powerlifter, narrow grip, on the shoulders, feet way back.

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Sounds to me like a mobility issue rather than tendonitis. Pressing requires a lot more movement in the forearm/wrist tendons, so if it were tendonitis I'd expect that to be somewhat painful at least. When it hurts during back squats, does it hurt as soon as you stop, or does it keep hurting for hours/days?

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Hurts for maybe 10 minutes afterwards.

6. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Definitely doesn't sound like tendonitis. If the tendon were inflamed, you'd be experiencing pain for hours at least. Inflammation doesn't go away ten minutes after you put the bar down.

That means it's probably a mechanical problem - either poor mobility somewhere or you are just holding the bar awkwardly. Let's see some squat pics.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I didn't squat today though and it still hurt. Did press and it started hurting. Will see if I can get gym bro to take pics. I don't think i'm supporting the bar with my hand, pretty sure its sitting in my back.

8. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yup competing raw. With wraps though I've only even worn wraps maybe 10 times ever and normally squat without. I figure since this federation allows them I might as well use them.

9. LM16

LM16 Senior member

I get ya on that, 5's tend to take it out of me more so than singles, doubles and triples - I tend to respond better to singles doubles and triples though so luckily I don't do too many. When I'm squatting there may be 10-15 minutes between a set but that's usually because there are 7 people in our rotation and towards our heavier sets we have 5 people spotting and one operating the monolift.

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Good luck! What's your current meet PRs? And what fed?

Where are you getting your list people that squatted over 600 this year btw?

All I'm seeing is the PLW one but that list is from 2007 to the present and the raw category is completely raw w/o wraps.

11. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Had a bad meet 6 weeks ago to qualify for this one - APC Nationals - and actually irritated that Nationals is so close to the qualifier. I would have liked another 6 weeks. I went 502.5/300/502.5 last meet. I had to settle for the 502.5 instead of the 550 I was intending on because on my second attempt (502.5) I lost my balance a bit on the unrack and decided to just rerack and take a pass instead of possibly take a squat that was going to injure me. I took the 502.5 again on the third and smoked it (502.5 gave me the new APC American record which is why I just went for that instead of bumping it up to my originally intended 550) but did manage to strain my hamstring. Moved on to bench (by far my weak point) went 275/300 fine and then went 325, except it wasn't 325 it was 337 (or something like that). A misload of 5kg on the right side through me out of wack and I massive strained my back trying to press it - at first I thought I just had a bad lift off and I was way out to the right but after my spotter assured I was center I went down with it and then it all went bad from there. After reviewing the video we saw an extra 5 kg on one side. Decided to lower my opener (502.5) to 455 (something like that again I forget the kilo conversions) because my back was in a good amount of pain and I didn't want to lose my American record by bombing out on deadlift. Opener was fine, second attempt was my original opener which was fine though a bit of a strain on the hamstring and the back and then went for 555 for the APC Deadlift record in the 181's. Missed it at my knees after a god-awful setup and too much ammonia.

So all and all no PR's but qualified for Nationals so this weekend I'll be putting together a complete meet I'm hoping - it will be my third meet (I didn't go 9/9 in the other two meets and that's something I'd really like to do this meet).

Attempts will be:
    Squat - 514/551/601
    Bench - 275/300/325 (still suck at this)
    Deadlift - 514/535/554

Squat just happens to be what I'm built for and I've got to build my lead up big because my bench is so bad compared to other 181's. Deadlift I'm not terrible but I'm not a top puller and I just hope I'm not losing any lbs there over anyone else and I can manage to pull (pun intended) out the win.

PLW has a paid members only section that some of my teammates have access to and printed me out a list of where rankings were and what not which is where I got the rankings from and all. I really should spend the money and get access it's 50 bucks or so if I recall.

12. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Also the list you were looking at does include knee wraps - it just makes a note of which federations do not allow knee wraps in raw. That list isn't up to date either, it should have changed a decent amount in the 525-565 range based on this year.

13. mrchariybrown

Nice work man! Are you going to record your next meet? Would love to watch it.

Squat numbers are beastly.

What you do walk around at?

Oh gotcha! You're right. I've been reading that wrong all this time -__-

I'm hoping to break into the squat, deadlift, and total rankings for raw 198's at the end of this year :)

Last edited: May 31, 2012

14. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Yah I've asked one of my teammates to bring the camera we use to film during training for analysis. Hopefully he remembers to bring it. Last meet I was at 202 the day before weigh ins and dropped to 181 in 16 hours and regained 27 in 10 hours. That was honestly a bit too rough for me and while I don't feel it made my performance bad the last meet (those were mainly technical/injury related issues) I really just don't want to have to do that again heh. So over the last 6 weeks I've been slowly recomping downwards and leaning up a bit and I sit around 194 or so which will be a much more reasonable drop.

15. mrchariybrown

Yeah, 13 pound but isn't that bad. Anything over a whole weight class is nuts lol

I'm currently a super underweight 198. Walked in and weighed in at 193.2 with an empty stomach two weeks ago for my last meet.

I'm trying to get up to 205 (AT LEAST) in the next few months. At least by my next meet (Nov/Dec).