1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

I dunno, I think I'm pretty strong and multiple kb swings with 35lb is..challenging

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

Really good advice, I'd add front squats to this. You can't do a proper clean without having a proper front squat, and you can't do a proper snatch without having a proper overhead squat. If you know you want to learn the oly lifts later, use this time to get your front squat and overhead squat perfect. Being able to get into a quality receiving position will make learning oly lifts a LOT easier, and it's something most people don't take to naturally. There are lots of resources out there to help you improve your squat technique.

3. joshuadowen

Like anything, KB work is equal parts fitness and technique. For a guy with your lifting numbers, 35lb swings shouldn't be very hard. Either your technique is a mess or you need to work on endurance/stamina?

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, I'm confused. Knucks, 35lb swings is child's play, brah.

5. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Distinguished Member

I picked 1kg dumbbells at work yesterday. Feels bad man.

However I do find some good things such as this today http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Mans-...IJ8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338421018&sr=8-1

6. APK

APK Distinguished Member

I was all about dumbbell snatches for a few months. Topped out at 65 for reps of 10. I don't think there was a session once I got around that weight where I didn't feel like I had just been punched in the stomach by knucks after completing a 3-mile sprint.

7. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

I know your pain on this. I'm lucky to get 20 lbs a year on any of the big 3.

8. joshuadowen

At some point you probably hit your actual max, and then the challenge is not letting it slide down as you get older. After mid-30s, if you've been training hard for 5+ years, you probably aren't putting much more onto your PRs. The cool bit comes when you are the strong-as-fuck 50 year old still walking around the gym kicking ass.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

That's the direct opposite of what I've been told by guys much older than that. As long as you don't run into any serious injuries (important), you will keep tacking onto your total and make gains.

My coach is a good example. He's 53 now and he says he's only gotten stronger over the years. Similar to what most guys in their 40's tell me.

10. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

35 for a rep is easy, multiples get challenging.
    i don't do them often but i've been told i should in order to help with the hip drive for clean/snatch

11. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

I'm leaving the country on Friday to spend two months in Nazareth, IL. I'm hoping I'll be able to find somewhere to lift for two months but I don't know for sure. In the event that I can't find somewhere to work out what can I do to maintain strength without gaining fat?

12. joshuadowen

Definitely, and probably for some added conditioning. Given your other numbers (that I've read on here) you should be able to swing 35 as a high-rep condition workout easily, 50 should be tough at high reps, and the 73 should be "once is easy, multiples is hard.'

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Jarude do you live in the raleigh/durahm rtp area?

14. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

why do you ask?

15. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

he wants to meet up for hot and heavy gay sex. duh

google convict conditioning

or building the gymnastics body

Last edited: May 30, 2012