Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lulz busted.

Just this week. My roommate told me she's moving out with less than a months notice right as I'm beginning my medical licensing exam prep...so I've been stressed to hell. Bought a pack of Marlboro's the other day. I think I have 5 left in the pack...won't be buying another after it's empty(hopefully).

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

sometimes i miss smoking but i hate buying a full pack cuz i know i'll throw it away out of guilt after 3 or 4 so i never bother

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

zomg cliffay b?

4. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I don't see where you alluded to smoking. what gives brah

Also gl with the step. I'm taking my mcat in <48 hours.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

GL brahs.

Did a KB complex using 2 20 kgs. While double goblet squatting i felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen/abs. Not sure what it was.

6. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I'd second all of this. At the bottom of an olympic (deep) squat, you want the hips as externally rotated as possible. This drives the knees out wide and keeps you on the back, outside part of your foot. Internally rotating the hips will bring your knees in, bring you to the inside of your foot, and is a MUCH MUCH weaker position to squat from - not to mention much more likely to cause injury. If your hips ARE internally rotating at the bottom of a very deep squat, it's likely a sign that you lack to mobility/strength to externally rotate them. The good news is there are a number of really easy mobility exercises that can fix this problem pretty quickly.

7. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Is there a bulge or any sort of lump in the area?

Worst case scenario it could be the beginnings of a hernia, or it could simply be a slight strain. Learning to properly brace your core is paramount to maintaining proper stability which is ultimately the cores main function. If you were to get punched in the gut (and see it coming) your body would instinctively flex - not just your abs, but your entire body as a way to disperse force from point of contact outwards. Learn to do this under control (not just a reactionary action). I have a lot of my clients practice this a few times a day learning to brace throughout the whole body. If it is an anterior force you would brace the front side of your body (generally the thing people have an easier time doing) - basically flex every muscle on the front of your body and hold the contraction. Learning to control your body can help it stay stable when putting forces upon it that it may not necessarily agree with - in this case your KB complex. Further make sure your keeping your low back tight when doing the movements. The lumbar region's function is to stabilize and you do not want a lot of flexibility/mobility in this area (you do in your thoracic spine though).

If the pain continues and/or you do have a lump/bulge I'd definitely go see a doctor about it as hernias are definitely no joke and often-times have to be surgically repaired (though not always).

8. Flame

Flame Senior member

I love squat day but hate my stiff hips and knee the day after.

9. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

More mobility work post-workout.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

No lump, most likely a strain. KB workouts are hell on my core (I get this weird core-pump afterwards and it looks like i have a gut, lol).

Thanks for the info thjough.

Last edited: May 30, 2012

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

back/trap doms is still the best doms. as for the videogame stuff, i am lucky as hell to find myself in the industry

12. LM16

LM16 Senior member

Random thought of the day: I'm not allowed in the gym this week and I realized how much I truly use it as an outlet for stress. Have a meet coming up on Sunday so while I know I need to recover and get fully back to normal beforehand it sure does make me miss training.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

There's a pic of me with a cig in my hand in WAYWT(as well as multiple other places -- I'm a camera whore).

GL with the MCAT. Remember, it reflects what you've learned in the past couple months, NOT what you've learned in the past couple hours. Make sure to get some down-time the night before.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

157.5kg for 3x5 then 4,1,2,3 on the squat

took me about an hour and a half to do lol.

Should be at 4 plate before uni and 2xbw by the end of next week.

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What I learned (again) yesterday... high volume shit sucks balls.

4x10 deadlifts followed by 3x10 dimel deadlifts and then 100's of reps on other shit is brutal.

Every part of my back hasn't been this sore in a while.

Last edited: May 30, 2012