1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I got some calipers online, tried them once, never used them again. Pics, measurements, and gym performance are the best methods, IMO. Calipers are inherently inaccurate, and they can even still be wildly inconsistent inbetween readings if you're not adept at doing measurements properly.

Yea BF% measurements are cool, another tool of measurement, but honestly waist size + visuals are prob just as useful + free. I mean I hit 200lb last year and prob had a 35" or so waist... now I'm ~185# w/a 32" waist, and significantly higher strength levels, so I figure my BF is lower. However, I still don't have a 6 pack, so it's inconsequential.

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You're 44 too? So am I! I guess we are the 2 old dudes in this forum keeping the rest of these young pups in line [​IMG]

...[/I]

I'm half your age and I still can't do a bw military press. I fail [IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

But srsly, a bw press is very commendable.

3. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

Been doing SL 5x5 for about a month, but for the next 6 months I won't have access to anything but a cable machine. Any suggestions/youtube links for exercises to keep me ticking by.

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Deadlift the cable machine

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Deadlift the cable machine

I've been looking into proper technique for doing a deadlift on cables (or if it's even possible to properly do it) as I won't have access to barbells/plates.

Does this motion approximate the real thing?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

6. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

I'm not an expert, but I would assume that you should strive to have the cable perpendicular to the ground if you want to simulate deadlifts, i.e. move closer to the lower pulley, pull the handle bar straight up and make sure sure it touches your shin (while the cable is straight up).
    The handle bar is bound to be higher than your average barbell, so you would simulate elevated (?) deadlifts, i.e., where the weight is higher than the floor. Should be easier.
    You can probably lift more than what the weight stack gives you.

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Maybe the cable row machine, depending on how the thing is set up? That way the bar should be low enough... maybe you wont be in a close enough position.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Going back on ephadrine this week. The fact that its so readily available and cheap makes it kind of hard to resist. Need to cut a tiny bit of fat too.

9. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Maybe the cable row machine, depending on how the thing is set up? That way the bar should be low enough... maybe you wont be in a close enough position.

unlikely. cable row machines usually have the cable horizontal, you want it to be vertical.
    I guess if it's one of those machines without a huge seat assembly, you could theoretically lie on your back. But this would preclude moving your hips perpendicular to the raise plane, which would lead to bad technique and could lead to injury.

10. APK

APK Senior member

Dudes Don't Get Hoooge Doing Curls Anecdote:

This guy who lifts at my gym was doing killer looking deadlifts today. Looked to be three plates plus quite a few 10 pounders on each side. More impressive was his flawless form. Form isn't the be-all, end-all of every lift, but for big movements such as the DL, you'll notice that good form breeds gracefulness. He definitely had to psych himself up to do the set, but once he got going, it looked effortless because of his great form.

And yes, I'll admit to paying attention to what he was doing just because I saw him rack the weight and wanted to see how good his form on the lifts was.

Unrelated, but there's this really scrawny guy who looks like he could be a high school freshman, but he's definitely college age. He has this odd angular posture where he seems sort of leaned to the side. I give him credit for being in the gym and lifting. But shit, I feel legitimately sorry for the guy, to the point where I almost want to go befriend him.

11. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

unlikely. cable row machines usually have the cable horizontal, you want it to be vertical.
    I guess if it's one of those machines without a huge seat assembly, you could theoretically lie on your back. But this would preclude moving your hips perpendicular to the raise plane, which would lead to bad technique and could lead to injury.

Yeah I was thinking to lay on your back... Probably wouldnt work.

12. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I usually work out 3 days a week. Two of those cover squats/DLs/calf raises/bench/curls/abs/etc. The third is a dick around day where I do something random like rotator cuffs/rows/etc. Today was dick around day. I love it. I usually end up doing one thing I didn't have time for in the other days that I should have and in this case that was shoulder press. Dick around day can also involve shooting a hundred or so wrist shots on a roller hockey rink at our gym, but not today [​IMG]

One question: Is it possible to become slightly taller because of deadlifts or a stronger back/trunk. On the same height scales(one at the campus gym, another at the health center) at the same time of time day, I'm consistantly about 3/8" taller now than before I started doing deadlifts while holding an erect posture (shoeless, of course). I'm about 6'1" now, but was closer to 6'1/2" before I took deadlifts and cable rows somewhat seriously. It seems plausible that my spine could be better supported now.

EDIT: I'm 27...I doubt I've actually grown anytime recently.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Probably better posture.

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Our height also fluctuates during the day. We're at our tallest when we first wake up. Spine has time to decompress a little while we sleep laying down.

15. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Our height also fluctuates during the day. We're at our tallest when we first wake up. Spine has time to decompress a little while we sleep laying down.
    Yeah, I've heard that, but like I mentioned, this is measured at the same time of day. I almost always work out around 5-7pm-ish...which is when I do a height weight and blood pressure/pulse check post workout.

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Probably better posture.

I'd chalk it up to this. Compression and posture notwithstanding, I think it's quite impossible to lengthen ones spine once growth has ended.

17. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Going back on ephedrine this week. The fact that its so readily available and cheap makes it kind of hard to resist. Need to cut a tiny bit of fat too.

I hear you. I'll definitely include EC with my next cut, or maybe clen.

18. bob99

bob99 Senior member

I just bought a Schwinn Airdyne exercise bike off Craigslist, so I can do some cardio at home. I tried some HIIT on it tonight, and HOLY LORD, it's a tough machine. The harder you pedal, the more resistance it generates, so it's basically a self-torture device. I'm going 30 seconds all out / 60 seconds medium pace, and by the end I was wheezing like a 5-pack-a-day smoker.

In other news, I've been eating really well and getting to the gym with 100% consistency over the past two months. I'd definitely say I'm in the best shape of my life, which feels great!

19. APK

APK Senior member

Charly's form on pretty much any lift is immaculate.

20. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I hate hexagonal plates!!! Damn things keep rolling around back and forth when I DL... A pox on you, 24 hr fitness!!![​IMG]