1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Distinguished Member

My biggest problems were that I have my wrists bent backwards and my elbow don't stay beneath the bar. I feel like I've been recruiting mainly shoulders and triceps, and that this is part of the reason my chest lags in size compared to everything else.

2. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

You need internal rotation in the femur in the [deep] squat

Last edited: May 29, 2012

3. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

I hope you mean external rotation....

In particular a full olympic squat you want to force your knees out and spread the floor, not let them come in.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Wasn't someone talking about decent mall brand tank tops a while back? I'm gonna defy all of styleforum and wear tank tops most of the summer, also while biking to work.

I also found out that companies can get a tax incentive's if their employees bike to work. Something like 9.5% off their FIC which translates to $20 a month for the person biking to work.

5. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

Focus on letting the bar ride a little lower in your palm more on the thumb pad and less near your knuckles.

Also consider purchasing wrist wraps (wraps not straps) and wrap them. This will keep your wrists vertical which of course will also engage your triceps more.

Keep in mind a "good" bench is going to be in large part triceps. Look towards other exercises such as dumbbell press on various angles for higher chest activation.

6. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

H&M and topman. Topman are a bit expensive like $30 each, but H&M ones are $10 or so and really nice. Have some nice marled ones, wearing one now.

Since when does England have biting insects? I thought all we had was gimpy mosquitoes, which didn't bite. They're obviously miring my quads, really bitten up.

Having fried chicken preworkout today, maybe now I'll have bbc genetics? gonna attempt 5x5x40kg on incline dumbbell bench.

7. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

if you are primarily concerned with chest size give guillotines a whirl. doing full rom guillotines might not be the best thing for your shoulders, so if you're able to bench in a rack set the pins to where you're comfortable and go at it. i limited my guillotine rom to where i was pin pressing from, about 6 inches off the chest and i haven't experienced any shoulder issues with the movement whatsoever. i just lowered the pins a notch and am extending the rom now, so im being extra careful to not break myself.

guillotines + db bench + flies = swoled chesticles

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

sweet, gonna have to stop by H&M tonight

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

They're opening an H&M below my office. Can't wait.

10. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

new job is exerrent; chef on staff cooks free tasty food every day. 4/5 days its something with a good amount of meat in it and they encourage employees to eat leftovers. i must've eaten nearly a pound of chicken and pork in yesterday's stir-fry and today's enchilada casserole gave me a day's worth of ground beef. cannot track macros, but cannot complain about bulking on the cheap. :slayer:

11. APK

APK Distinguished Member

I bought a pile of $4 tanks at Old Navy this weekend for the gym. Like the fit (pre-wash, anyway), nice colors, and material feels soft. They'll probably look like hell after a few wears and a wash, but for the price, they're perfect for the gym.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

This is an awesome perk. Free food makes it.

13. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

Yes but your femur internally rotates in deep hip flexion.

2) Poor Hip Mobility
    A significant factor preventing many trainees from successfully hitting proper depth on a squat is that many have the hip mobility of a crowbar. This can mean any number of things ranging from lack of hip internal rotation to short/stiff adductors to short/stiff hip flexors.

One problem is called Hip Internal Rotation Deficit. Counterintuitive as it may seem, having the ability to internally rotate the hip is important. As physical therapist Charlie Weingroff has stated on several occasions "the body needs to know that it can do something before it can prevent it."

One needs a certain amount of hip internal rotation to go into deep hip flexion.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...quat_like_you_mean_it_tips_for_a_deeper_squat

14. LM16

LM16 Senior Member

I agree that your body needs to be capable of it and that hip mobility is indeed quite poor among most office workers and the general population as a hole but I'd argue it's not so much internal hip rotation that is the primary problem. More often it's the other reasons listed in that article in particular over-active and tight hip flexors (since most people sitting at their desk sit in a way that keeps the hip flexors in a shortened position) and poor ankle mobility. Further down the list of more common issues would be thoracic mobility (or lack of, again mentioned in your article citation) and over flexibility in the lumbar region. So yes while internal hip rotation CAN affect squat depth, there are many more factors that are much higher occurring in the general populace, which is the only reason I questioned you in the first place on that.

In general check first:

1. Hip Flexors (tight?)
    2. Ankle mobility (poor?)
    3. Abductor strength (weak?)
    4. Thoracic mobility (enough?)
    5. Lumbar flexibility (too much? - this is also an issue while deadlifting properly)
    6. Internal Hip Rotation
    7. Ego? (Really this should be number 1 as the reason most people don't squat to depth is they simply want to use more weight and can do so quarter squatting).

15. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

I love old navy long sleeve T shirts. They have tall slim fit, which is great. Held up really well actually, was impressed.

I hate benching so much, I wish I didn't have to do it. I wish I didn't have to do anything, but over head press and box squat. I have a 2kg difference between my 5rm dumbbell bench and dumbbell over head press, makes me rage. Cannot wait till uni so I can stop working and train properly with enough sleep.