Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

How wide should your hands be on a press? I seem to be going backwards with it, WTFIGO?

Gym retard came in the gym today (not seen him for about a month because I find it harder to work out in the morning now I work lates), picked up his bag, looked at me, and shuffled off to the other side of the gym.

Fucking taxman taking more than they should and having to pay for a hotel for one or two nights this week, really want a gym at home but going to have to wait a couple more weeks.

Last edited: May 28, 2012

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Shoulder width. That means grip is going to vary a lot from person to person. The easiest way to get into a good position is the stand in front of the rack and externally rotate your shoulders - retract shoulderblades, palms face forward, turning thumbs out to force shoulders into a good position. Then, without changing shoulder position at all, bring your hands up to a comfortable pressing position. Incidentally, this is also the hand position you want to be receiving cleans in.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

When I saw a PT recently, she suggested that the best way to fix my shoulder slouching was through focused upper back work to strengthen the traps ie rows, pulldowns, facepulls etc. Will this address the external rotation? Also, when I do most of these movements, I hear lots of noises in my shoulders, not popping more like gentle clicking, not sure if this is normal or not.....

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Cheers, that might explain it, is it the same for BB rows?

I do a sort of front squat to get it up as the gym just has those simple racks you'd use for bench press but had it welded shut to stop people squatting, makes it hard to get into position and one of the reasons I want a gym at home.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

So I'm halfway through my first tub of Scivation Xtend, and I must say I think it's my current favorite supplement. One of the few I don't think I can live without.

Also lean bulk is continuing strong. Up to 5 pounds gained with very, very minimal fat gain. Haven't lost much definition and am noticeably bigger in some parts. Feelsgood! :slayer:

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I fee like such a piece of shit. I played Final Fantasy XIV like ALL weekend + today, didn't get off the couch. I'm so fucking immobile right now and suppose to go and deadlift my 1 rep max, gonna pass on that and put it off till tomorrow.

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

My left leg continues to hurt when hip is in extension and internally rotates

8. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

[quote name="TKJTG" url="/t/156289/random-health-and-exercise-thoughts/17040_30#post_5478428" Haven't lost much definition and am noticeably bigger in some parts. Feelsgood! :slayer: [/quote]

I'll say!

9. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'll say! :satisfied:

10. joshuadowen

1. Strengthening the upper back will help, but don't skimp on mobilizing. You have to be mobile enough to GET into a good position, and THEN strong enough to stay there. Strengthening won't help that much if you are too stiff to even get into a good position.

2. External rotation can be achieved by (a) standing in a neutral position, (b) pulling your shoulder blades together, and then (c) turning your thumbs forward and away from your body. This will push your shoulder into an externally rotated position. You shouldn't have any trouble getting into this position just standing there. the trick is being able to keep your shoulders throughout a movement. A lot of it is just focus. Mobilizing makes it easier to hold the position, and performing movements correctly in this position wil get you stronger.

3. Generally if noises aren't accompanied by pain, there's nothing to worry about. My knees crack all the time while I squat, but this has never developed into anything problematic. Have you ever had an MRI done on your shoulder? Some small percentage of the population has a mutation such that there is a small hook on the ball joint of the shoulder. It isn't a big deal, but does increase the risk of a rotator cuff tear if you aren't very diligent about shoulder mobility.

11. joshuadowen

The grip should be about the same for anything where you are either pressing or in a front rack position. Most people tend to have too narrow a grip for front squats/cleans.

12. joshuadowen

What are you doing that is causing your hip to rotate internally? As with shoulders, you always want the hip joint externally rotated during lifts.

13. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Cheers, I'll try to remember that and see how it affects my lifts.

only a couple of pounds away from 13st, feels good man.

Last edited: May 29, 2012

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My bench form sucks. I've always known it, but never really done anything to correct. I more-or-less heave the weight up and down and just happen to have enough strength to get it done.

Today, I decided it's going to change. I took 50 pounds off the bar and really focused on form. I straightened my wrists out, kept my elbows under the bar and worked on my breathing. And let me tell you, it was hard as hell. 185 suddenly felt like 235. I'm going to stick with mastering form for a couple weeks, and then up the poundage. I feel like I got my best chest workout in a long time today.

15. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I'm not sure what you're attempting to fix but paused benching really helped me work out all my flaws. In my head I always have a guy (like in competitions) saying "pause" and then "press". It's really stupid but it works. :embar: