Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'd say that's the definition of shameless.

Last edited: May 27, 2012

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Just keep in mind that doing neutral chins brings in more of the brachioradialis than palms-in chins and less of the lats than palms-out pull-ups. Make sure you're making up for it in other lifts.

3. APK

APK Senior member

Damn, I thought I had a new bike left behind by neighbors who got evicted. I hadn't seen them in weeks and then saw the eviction notice on Friday. The bike was still in the hall across from my apartment, so I just moved it over to my side. I didn't plan to use it until I knew the landlord had come and cleared the place out. This morning, I saw the bike back across the hall and their car parked outside.

4. gort

gort Senior member

I always refer to those as bro-ups, categorized same as smith machine benching and OHP. :embar:

Also yesterday saw this skinny fat 5'5ish guy load up the leg press with like 7 plates on each side and proceed to do about 1/8 ROM sets wit hit and swagger like he was a boss. :fu:

5. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Why are my shoulders suddenly getting irritated by chest movements. Cant seem to work the chest properly because it just hurts in the shoulder and somehow i dont get any stretch or contraction in the chest. Been trying DB incline bench which usually doesnt cause any problems. Even warmed up my rotator cuffs with some stretching, RC exercises and light reps.

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Anyone have some recommended Mobility WOD stretches to deal with clavicle/neck/shoulder tightness after pressing? I did some rotator cuff exercises but they didnt really help.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I used to think they were kinda lulzy too, until I realized I like them MUCH better than hammer curls for brachioradialis development. Ever since I've started cranking out a couple sets at the end of a workout, I've noticed some better forearm size. But, if you don't do actual pullups...definitely still bro-up status. :D

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Contemplating running a Smolov Jr for bench this summer. Anyone have experience with it? I'm tired of seeing youtube vids of dudes my same weight putting up 345.:brick:

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I deal with clavical/neck/shoulder tightness daily and ESPECIALLY after overhead pressing. Mobility WOD isn't going to do you any good here. You're going to have to do some self trigger point massages. This book is a wealth of knowledge for $14.00 and has some AMAZING neck trigger point guides. Without this book there would be no way I'd be able to overhead press and it's relieved so much of my neck/shoulder pain I was experiencing everyday and headaches.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Frozen-Sh...447X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1338157526&sr=8-6

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

My suggestion is to perhaps look at antagonists in the movement and strengthen those

11. knucks

knucks Senior member

Coldsnap: those are the left field come indigo (old cut). In 33.
    I don't know why they fit

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

i want those. is the new cut out?

13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

This isn't strictly true. It really depends on what is causing the shoulder/neck pain. The most likely culprit is that your shoulders are internally rotated while you are pressing (i.e., you are slouching). MobilityWOD has a lot of different demos for how to get your shoulder externally rotated during lifts. The trigger-point massage (either with a lacrosse ball or something similar) will be helpful in that relaxing the muscles in the thoracic spine region make external rotation of the shoulders a LOT easier.

As always, the keys are mobility then stability. You've got to get flexible enough to pull your shoulder blades together and externally rotate your shoulders, and then you'll probably have to drop the weight some and work back up until you are strong enough to hold a good position under load. It's not the sort of thing to fuck around with either. Consistently pressing heavy weights with bad thoracic/shoulder position is a good way to herniate a disc in your neck.

14. knucks

knucks Senior member

I think it's called the "miner" but its cut a bit slimmer than this. check measruements

15. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Douche.