1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I did not realize there was a way to do the squat without having your heels firmly on the ground and driving up from there...?

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Pavel teaches keeping the back tight and pushing the knees out by having people try squatting facing a wall, with their toes a few inches away from the wall.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Thanks, guys.

Just wanted to note that Andre's quote, though I agree with it, does not describe how Rippetoe squats or teaches the squat. People with far bigger squats endorse nearly to a man a head up, legs wide, knees back form. Rippetoe I think recognizes this but claims that the knees forward, legs close squat that he does is more relevant to athletes. (EDIT: just noticed that AY's post recommends head down; still the main difference between a PL squat and Rip's is the knee business)

I just want to do what's safe for my knees. I will try an empty bar and see if I can't figure out how to balance myself without my knees moving forward.

My description is actually what I think Rip teaches: knees out, spine neutral, and break parallel. The feet should be pointed out at 30 degrees, apart about shoulder width. Making sure that the knees travel over the feet rather than collapsing in, ie. the "shove your knees out" cue, is also a Rip thing. He also teaches a low-bar squat, which is seemingly the most controversial part of his style.

These two cues do a few things:

1. Knees not sliding forward makes sure you use your hamstrings and adductors since knees sliding forward will release tension in those muscles.

2. Knees forward will also save you a bad case of adductor (inner thigh) tendonitis. Ask me how I know.

3. Knees shoved out will open up your hips so you can squat below parallel. Going below parallel lets you use your hamstrings on the way up, and is the only safe way to squat because the hamstrings equalize the pull on the knees by the quads. If you don't go below parallel, you may end up with knee problems. There are other reasons why knees shoved out is good for your knees.

4. Knees shoved out will let you use your adductor muscles in the squat because your inner thigh muscles are in tension. You may notice when you're struggling with a squat that your knees want to come in on the way up. This is because your adductors aren't strong enough.

Do you have the Starting Strength book? It describes all of this and more in more clarity and detail than any forum post could.

--Andre

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

10 minute Asian squat:

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010...eat-downs.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

You build up to 10 minutes over a couple of weeks. It's pretty hard in the beginning. If you're falling over, find something initially to hold onto.

--Andre

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I actually did that 10 minute squat. Took a couple of days to build up to it.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

Speaking of asian squat:

7. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Worked on sitting back more in my squats today. Very strange feeling, but I like looking at the form better.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Also, today was bench press day. I did as many reps as I could on the last set, 10, so I think I may be programming too low. This is 10 x 180, supposedly 85% of 90% of my 1RM (which I've never tested).

Anyway, since the squat and DL critiques were so productive, here's a bench press video to shred.

I hate the pussified music at my gym. Hate it hate it hate it.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So I just realized that I wasn't fully activating my hamstrings with my deadlifts--started focusing on pushing through my heels and suddenly the weight felt a ton lighter. I think my DL #'s are gonna start shooting up the same way my bench #'s shot up when i cleared up my form issues.

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Worked on sitting back more in my squats today. Very strange feeling, but I like looking at the form better.

I really think you are over doing it unless it is your intention to switch from high bar to low bar.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

CS, much better looking squat. You should be going maybe an inch lower --- you're basically at parallel. Also, raise your elbows: try to point them at the wall behind you more. Your wrists won't be as hyperextended and will be more in line with your forearm.

I know you're learning the movement, but don't be so tentative going down. When you get to your working weight, it's going to be very difficult to come up again when you're going down at that speed.

Hip drive on the first rep looks probably OK, but non-existent on the next 2 reps.

No clue about bench press --- I suck at them.

--Andre

11. APK

APK Senior member

Man, spaghetti squash is amazing. Cooked and scooped out, that stuff is an easy swap out of pasta.

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Man, spaghetti squash is amazing. Cooked and scooped out, that stuff is an easy swap out of pasta.

+1. My CSA threw so many good squashes at me this season.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

CS, those squats looked very good. outstanding improvement man! now onto the bench, I like your bar path, but you could use a bit of improvement everywhere else. watch all the part of dave tate's discussion on bench form. part one here: after watching all of them, don't be surprised if you add 25+ pounds to your bench [​IMG]

14. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

CS, much better looking squat. You should be going maybe an inch lower --- you're basically at parallel. Also, raise your elbows: try to point them at the wall behind you more. Your wrists won't be as hyperextended and will be more in line with your forearm.

I know you're learning the movement, but don't be so tentative going down. When you get to your working weight, it's going to be very difficult to come up again when you're going down at that speed.

Hip drive on the first rep looks probably OK, but non-existent on the next 2 reps.

No clue about bench press --- I suck at them.

--Andre

I'm just scared of falling backwards and also running up against flexibility limits vs no weight pushing me further. Those squats were also totally cold. Will try to go lower next time.

15. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'm just scared of falling backwards

It doesn't look right. Sitting back is one thing but if you exaggerate it too much you will not feel balanced.

16. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think he just needs to experiment a bit more with the current setup or maybe even with a low bar setup. but that's just my pov. I think my previous squat 1rm would give my words at least a little merit, but it's really up to the end-user.

17. Eason

Eason Senior member

Fuck the olympic squat, I'm going low-bar from now on. It just feels right, my hamstrings get tight, I can get lower.

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Good but sit the bar a couple of inches lower, it'll make it feel more natural because the weight will be more over your heels than your toes

19. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Today, as I ran on the treadmill, I looked up at the giant screen where the play bro-rock videos and saw what I initially thought was a busty old woman dancing around with a Les Paul hanging from her shoulders. Turns out it was Neil Young's live version of 'Cinnamon Girl'.

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Thesis returned, monster leg workout looming on the horizon - what more could one ask for?