1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

2. knucks

knucks Distinguished Member

Whats the injury?

3. Coldsnap

Beats me. Been dealing with it since january. constant pain in my upper trap. I use to think it was from olympic lifting being so internally rotated and torqued from so many pulls and when I went to powerlifting pushing destroyed me because I had zero internal rotation, thoracic spine, and scapula flexibility. BUT there was this instance when I was doing a dip and I looked right to see how It was in the mirror and i felt a really strong burn in my scalenes in my neck. I dunno I attribute it to all of the above and shitty posture in general. It gets really bad most days though, goes up into my temples / eyes / ears. I've been doing a ton of self deep tissue massages on my neck and thoracic spine mobilizations 2-3 times a day. It's slowly feeling better?

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

If its been bugging you that long it is probably worth a trip to the doctor. Either it's (1) a muscle strain type thing that hasn't healed because you haven't rested enough to let it, or (2) some sort of skeletal/ligament/tendon injury that won't heal on it's own and needs to be repaired. Either way it's worth getting diagnosed so you know what you are dealing with.

One of the most common mistakes people make is pushing through pain rather than dealing with an injury out of some misguided sese that they can't afford the time off from training. This may be justifiable if you are a professional athlete or an Olympic hopeful, but otherwise it's incredibly short-sighted. You workout because you like it, because you want to be healthy, and because you want to look good. All of those are lifelong pursuits, and require a long-term outlook. Sometimes injuries mean a very limited ability to train for a few months. It sucks but you'll survive. Ignoring an injury and trying to power through leaves your training compromised for a much longer time.

I speak from experience. I had a torn ligamennt in my wrist. It didn't prevent training, but made any sort of overhead/pressing work incredibly painful. I trained like this for 8 months in preparation for an employment fitness test, believe I couldn't afford the 4 months off training that surgery would require. It was horrible. When I finally got the surgery, arm was in a cast for 2 months, and very weak for another 2-3. I was able to do modified training, but obviously lost some strength. It's a frustrating experience, but not the end of the world. I was back up to all of my pre-surgery numbers within 6 months. As frustrating as the recovery was, it was infinitely better than dealing with wrist pain for the rest of my life.

Take injuries seriously. Get the sorted.

5. Coldsnap

Yea but I am un-insured and not making enough money to get it looked at. Also with a shoulder / neck injury it's so easy to miss diagnose. Treating it myself I have learned a ton about rehab and how the shoulder hurts. I agree though, right now this deep tissue massages are really helping and I can tell I'm jacked up back there because just about every trigger point on the map is super tender. If that doesn't work I'm def going to have to think about having someone look at it.

6. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

At the very least then, you should be laying off it for 4-6 weeks. If it really is just muscular, that should give it plenty of time to heal.

7. Coldsnap

That's what I did. When it first started bugging me I took 3 weeks off and cycled ice, epson salt, and NSAIDs. It actually got worse which makes me think it's a lifestyle thing and actually going to the gym helps it. Strengthening the postural muscles and especially when I do my 35mins of mobility stuff before I even touch a weight.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

I damaged a nerve in my upper trap/neck from bouncing at the top of my squats and have to use the maxi-pad whenever I squat. It's part of the reason I stopped lifting heavy.

The radiating pain screams nerve damage to me.

Last edited: May 14, 2012

9. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

I think I have a similar thing. Always get pain in my left trap, like a stinging pain. Not from squats, just from pulls.

I hate not being able to eat a big meal right before training. Have to do something for an hour first before I train, hopefully won't effect my training. Attempting 132.5kgx8 today, I got 130kgx8 a couple weeks ago so 132.5kg with oly shoes should be easy. Is there a learning curve with them? Am I gonna warm up with 100kg and fall over?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

you're going to put them on and then be awesome.

11. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

They're really comfy, they make parallel feel higher, I think I'm gonna need to raise the box I squat off. I like the shape, if they didn't have straps I'd wear them.

Edit: FUARK I CAN DO A PISTOL SQUAT IN THEM NOW.

Last edited: May 15, 2012

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Did a Spartan 300 WO yesterday. Sweat a ton, pretty intense. Took a bit of rest in between some of the sets, but it was great. Considering throwing one or two of those in my weekly routine.

13. knucks

My quad continues to be a pain. Tightens up in the hip flexor region, down to the top of the patella. Was foam rolling the top/side of it and FFFFfffuckkk

14. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior Member

Interesting article on obesity. I've spoken with Dr Chow in person and he's quite intelligent and fascinating. I am slightly cautious about the ability for math to model health, given the tremendous complexity of the system, but some interesting tidbits show up in this article, particularly a few that have been discussed in this thread...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/science/a-mathematical-challenge-to-obesity.html

15. knucks

WHEN AM I GOING TO RECEIVE MY BIG BALL PANTS, CHARLY