1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Not the first - my core strength is certainly above average - can hold L-sits for over 10 seconds consistently, can do dragon flags, etc....... most certainly the 3rd - my leg strength sucks. Might be the 2nd... have to work on that.

alot of squats is mental. Drop down the weight a little, get used to pushing yourself.

front squats, box squats etc are all good too.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Dave Tate would add another one to the list. "Maybe you don't know how to fucking squat?"

If I were me and not that freak Scrumhalf, I would suggest another... "Maybe it's mental." Squatting is the only exercise that I have any fear of. I use front squats on occasion to build confidence.

hahaha yes!

I wanted to say this but the usual feedback I get when I tell someone (most people) that their form is bad is "NUH-UHHHH! my form is good! yours is bad! look how big my bis are!"

3. mrchariybrown

Weak legs Ppl always say squats are a core exercise.... disregarding the fact that the legs go from a 45 degree bend to completely straight. Get those quads/hams/glutes stronger and u should squat more. Though the best cure for a weak squat is... more squats [​IMG]
    I find that a lot of people lack the ham and glute strength in particular. which is why a lot of people have trouble getting deep. but more so, it's why a lot of people's form is off (knees shooting way past the toes, ankles hyper extended, etc). I'm a big advocate of box squats and paused squats to alleviate that problem.

4. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I find that a lot of people lack the ham and glute strength in particular. which is why a lot of people have trouble getting deep. but more so, it's why a lot of people's form is off (knees shooting way past the toes, ankles hyper extended, etc).

I'm a big advocate of box squats and paused squats to alleviate that problem.

i.e. me. I just don't know where they would go!

Also I know the third rep is bullshit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

CS, some constructive feedback, I hope. You are about an inch or two too high: the crease of your hips should be below the top of your knee.

As you noticed, your knees are sliding forward so not all of your muscles are working to get you out of the bottom Think about sitting back more, like sticking your butt out. Your upper body may lean forwards a bit more because of this. Your knees should finish their movement forward by the time you're 1/3-1/2 of the way down, and stay there the rest of the way down. Try it out with an empty bar to get a feeling of it.

I can't tell how shoved out your knees are, but it's a usually useful thing to think about.

You're also looking forward too much --- keep your spine and skull in straight line, and look down a little bit more. Imagine holding a baseball or orange under your chin. This may help with the previous two issues.

edit: looking at the video again, I think you should be thinking about turning your legs out more. One common cause of knees sliding forward at the bottom is the squatter trying to reach good depth, but is impinged by their hips. Turning out your legs more (shoving the knees out) will clear the way and help you get down there.

--Andre

6. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I find that a lot of people lack the ham and glute strength in particular. which is why a lot of people have trouble getting deep. but more so, it's why a lot of people's form is off (knees shooting way past the toes, ankles hyper extended, etc).

I'm a big advocate of box squats and paused squats to alleviate that problem.

Box squats are great for building confidence shooting out of the hole. I just added them in after realizing my knees were way out beyond my toes. Sitting back while keeping the shins mostly straight is pretty fucking strange when you first do it.

7. APK

APK Senior member

Shit, I was "cutting" for too long and finally accepted that I was eating in too far of a deficit for things not to go askew. My temperature both morning and evening is pretty low, so I'm upping my calories to eventually be at maintenance levels. Hopefully doing so for long enough will straighten things out.

8. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

i.e. me. I just don't know where they would go!

Also I know the third rep is bullshit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

you need to go lower. there should be a very slight bounce at the bottom, according to rippetoe

9. Eason

Eason Senior member

I don't know how the fuck you guys can do the asian squat. It's just not possible to get my weight on my heels without falling right over backwards.

10. mrchariybrown

CS, you have a form issue that is very common where you start bending at the knees before your hips go back and down.

it should be hips back -> hips down -> bend knees.

like rikkar said, box squats really help with this form correction.

11. CunningSmeagol

CS, some constructive feedback, I hope. You are about an inch or two too high: the crease of your hips should be below the top of your knee. As you noticed, your knees are sliding forward so not all of your muscles are working to get you out of the bottom Think about sitting back more, like sticking your butt out. Your upper body may lean forwards a bit more because of this. Your knees should finish their movement forward by the time you're 1/3-1/2 of the way down, and stay there the rest of the way down. Try it out with an empty bar to get a feeling of it. I can't tell how shoved out your knees are, but it's a usually useful thing to think about. You're also looking forward too much --- keep your spine and skull in straight line, and look down a little bit more. Imagine holding a baseball or orange under your chin. This may help with the previous two issues. edit: looking at the video again, I think you should be thinking about turning your legs out more. One common cause of knees sliding forward at the bottom is the squatter trying to reach good depth, but is impinged by their hips. Turning out your legs more (shoving the knees out) will clear the way and help you get down there. --Andre
    you need to go lower. there should be a very slight bounce at the bottom, according to rippetoe
    Thanks, guys. Just wanted to note that Andre's quote, though I agree with it, does not describe how Rippetoe squats or teaches the squat. People with far bigger squats endorse nearly to a man a head up, legs wide, knees back form. Rippetoe I think recognizes this but claims that the knees forward, legs close squat that he does is more relevant to athletes. (EDIT: just noticed that AY's post recommends head down; still the main difference between a PL squat and Rip's is the knee business) I just want to do what's safe for my knees. I will try an empty bar and see if I can't figure out how to balance myself without my knees moving forward.

12. APK

APK Senior member

That reminds me, I saw some dude doing some miserable looking squats tonight. He was racking some impressive weight (close to 300 from the looks of it), but his form was so god awful that I cringed any time he descended. He didn't just bend his knees too soon, he looked like he was buckling under the weight of the bar with each descent. Buckling and falling forward.

13. CunningSmeagol

That reminds me, I saw some dude doing some miserable looking squats tonight. He was racking some impressive weight (close to 300 from the looks of it), but his form was so god awful that I cringed any time he descended. He didn't just bend his knees too soon, he looked like he was buckling under the weight of the bar with each descent. Buckling and falling forward.

14. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I don't know how the fuck you guys can do the asian squat. It's just not possible to get my weight on my heels without falling right over backwards.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Think of suspending your hips/torso between your legs, rather than sitting on top of your legs.

15. mrchariybrown

hey CS, one more thing. if you're going to try to sit back more and fix your form, then you may want to not use a completely empty bar.

it may not make a difference for you, but I find that I need at least a little weight on the bar or else I find it hard to sit back and get my form how I like it.

16. Eason

Eason Senior member

That video infuriated me. Ready, aim, fall over backwards.

17. CunningSmeagol

hey CS, one more thing. if you're going to try to sit back more and fix your form, then you may want to not use a completely empty bar.

it may not make a difference for you, but I find that I need at least a little weight on the bar or else I find it hard to sit back and get my form how I like it.

You're probably right. I've been trying with bodyweight for the past 10 mins and it's just impossible.

The asian squat, however, is easy.

18. mrchariybrown

You're probably right. I've been trying with bodyweight for the past 10 mins and it's just impossible.

The asian squat, however, is easy.

a couple more tips.

before you squat, focus on backing up ass back (not down) first.

and throughout the whole squat (especially the descent for me), make sure you keep those hammies tight. I find it that the second I lose tightness in my hamstrings, I shift a lot of my weight towards my toes and transfers up to my quads and throws my knees forward.

19. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Since we're all talking squats, what's the prevailing opinion on split squats? I like them after one workout... I'm guessing it just leads to slower progress? And you can't hit parallel - would elevating your front foot be overthinking it?

20. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

a couple more tips.

before you squat, focus on backing up ass back (not down) first.

and throughout the whole squat (especially the descent for me), make sure you keep those hammies tight. I find it that the second I lose tightness in my hamstrings, I shift a lot of my weight towards my toes and transfers up to my quads and throws my knees forward.

I like to think of it as loading up (should feel like a stretch) the hamstrings instead of just ass back. You can rotate your pelvis without engaging your hamstrings and that's not going to get you anywhere (I used to do that).

Just depends on what cues work for what people.