Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

There's the official forum but save your time, that forum is filled with just as much confusion. What are your hangups?

I'm on my third week. Down a few % in bodyfat but up a few lbs in weight, I'm so stoked. I'm doing the density bulk cycle.

2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Decided to just look for weights rather than specifying Oly sets, the number of people who just say they have "some" weights or that they have a "bench press bar" makes me want to cry.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

this needs to be in here

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Where are the official forums?

It's difficult to express, but.

He suggests that lifting without carbs in a person's system is effective, even so far as to claim it is more effective. Ok, fine, maybe. But I find it hard to believe that lifting 40 hours after a massive carb feed can be qualified as "without carbs". Additionally, the diet itself isn't "no carb" on the off days or prior to lifting. There are a few carbs. So I really don't see how the fat based energy lifting is possible.

Also. He references some sort of metabolic crash if you eat pre work out carbs. Idk wtf that could possibly be about. Again, the diet isn't no carb. Some carbs get eaten. But don't eat another 30g before the work out or you'll crash? And at the same time, he suggests you sip carbs during the work out if you "want to"? Well shit, what if I crash out between sips?

My take on the "program" is that the morning fasting / low carbs makes a lot of sense and is shared with other popular programs. That athletes have eaten heavy carbs for decades after work outs and it works. That those two tenants are pretty simple. But the half assed semi keto for 36 hours doesn't really support his more esoteric ideas. More likely, imo, it's relatively healthy, drops some water, maintains protein levels for repair and keeps AA levels elevated to preserve muscle and provide building blocks for the next work out.

Truthfully, it's an easy life style method of eating for me. Coffee and cream for breakfast. Generally meat and veggies for two lunches and a dinner. One evening of carbs where I get to finally ignore protein for once. I'm getting stronger on it, regardless of the true reasons.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I agree. My lifestyle and quality of life has increased so much since starting the diet. I don't feel tied to my food 24/7 like I use to. I think his whole dont eat carbs before working out argument was based on the fact if you take a little bit of whey and coconut oil you can continue a metabolic environment that will burn fat while working out. I must have missed the part where he said you can drink carbs during workout, because I've been using his shake that you drink during workout and it's hydro casein, whey, and creatine. You def looked more into this diet than me and are more knowledgeable. I was just like derp my friends are eating a ton of cookies post workout and are getting slim and jacked on it, i should do it.

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

That is an extremely good assessment of dressing the athletic guy in modern clothing. I have been noticing lately that my old tees which are rather slim fitting are greatly accentuating my hips while some freebie tees that I have been wearing to work out in for a couple years are making me look both larger and better proportioned top to bottom. Skinny guys suggest straight legs for athletic legs because they "imagine" the thighs are large, when in actuality the tube-like straight leg construction of a modern denim will mostly likely have a thigh the size of an athletic thigh creating a sausage.

One thing that I find I am extremely sensitive to is 'small foot' syndrome which that one dude who's been banned 10 times in WAYWT has. I have a sense that the shoe needs to match the thigh, to some extent. Ultra low profile sneakers just look retarded on built guys, but I'm really interested in hearing additional thoughts on that. I wear katadin's almost always.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

^ dude i totally agree. I have 8-81/2 shoe yet a 25" thigh, the bigger I get the more I move to wearing just boots all the time. Like for example red wings don't look chunky on me but rather nice.. makes me want to save up for a pair of indys since i like my alden cap toes so much,.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

:)

I do agree about the shoes. I was actually going to write about it, but just got lazy.

Low profile sneakers and boots looks utterly ridiculous on built guys.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

chariy what about tucking in a shirt? I have to for work and some days I think I look fine while others I feel super thick in the midsection. Also sucks that I have a super short torso if I didn't have such long legs I would be like 5 foot i swear. There's this picture of my team at work and I'm surrounded by really petite asian girls, because that's mainly who I work with, and we were told to stand sideways for the picture; I'm like three of them thick it looks so stupid. Here's a pick of me tucking in my shirt, the shortish rise of the APS NS is doing me no favors.

[​IMG]

10. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I think your shoes look like hooves. :s

Yeah ignorant ppl gonna call you fat when u tuck your shirt in. Snap your pecs at them.

11. mrchariybrown

I feel that your picture looks fine (from that angle at least). You can definitely tell your hips and ass aren't so comfortable in those jeans though.

Let me say one thing first - I'm not a huge fan of tucking shirts into jeans. It makes even normal-sized people look like they have thicker thighs/hips.

If you're going to tuck your shirt into your pants, I like doing it with one with a high rise. It gives the illusion of an elongated lower torso and hip/thigh area, which will make your thighs look slimmer and mask your hips.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Dawg i spent a lot of money on those shoes to look like hooves :(

I hear ya, I actually got told to stop wearing jeans to work anyways so that solves that. I have some uniqlo chinos coming in the mail that have a high rise since they are a size 33, those should do. I'm also looking into getting a pair of Levis or something.

13. mrchariybrown

Don't be afraid to get them altered if they're too straight-legged. Sometimes even the tiniest alterations make a huge difference in silhouette.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This whole stream of conversation has been great to read. Props.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I don't see why you need to hide your hips and thighs. Sun's out buns out.