Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I was nearing a bodyweight press before my injury ; ;

2. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Strong lift Charly, but your lumbar spine is not in extention at all.

Why not set your back at the start of the lift? You'll do more poundage in the long run, and it's gotta be safer.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

My gym is tiny so they'll be hard to hide. I'm gonna try to get one into the bathroom, but i have to walk past him to get to the bathroom, will be hard. On the last day I intend to load up a barbell with as many 20s as I can so probably 300ish kg, scream at it, set up for a pull then walk away. Maybe load up to leg extension with like 500kg plates are a massive bitch to get off it.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

It was probably someone here who put the link up, now that you mention it.
    I take it as it's a recommended routine.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If I set my back at the start of the lift, then my ass drops down pretty far due to my long torso and it takes me out of my sweet spot off the floor. You'd be surprised. I've tweaked my lower back more trying to pull with a flat back. Haven't had one issue since I switched my form up.

You really can't tell from the video, but my lower back is flat and the curve starts right at my the top of my lumbar curve of the spine. If it were otherwise, I would've hurt myself a long time ago.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Hey, I made what I would personally change in bold. Here's some of my rationale for it:

-Biggest thing is I really don't like 5/3/1 unless you're lifting solely for power. I think 5/5/5 or 10/8/6 are much better for aesthetics/muscle growth.
    -Since shoulders are synergistic for bench press, I think you should do them on the same day. With overhead press, facepulls, and lateral raises...you work all facets of the shoulder.
    -On deadlift day I think it helps to work synergistic muscles -- hence why I added shrugs and Good-mornings. I think you have the right idea doing forearm/grip work on deadlift day.

Just my $0.02. :)

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

10. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I don't want to get too specific with you, but here are some general thoughts:
    - You should probably be squatting more than once per week. Most people recover enough from squats after a few days to go again, so I'd increase the frequency there and see how you feel. Doesn't necessarily have to be the 5/3/1 format twice a week, but get some more squatting in there.
    - Heavy deadlifting, on the other hand, is a once a week thing.
    - Instead of all the curling, do more pullups/chinups.
    - Instead of the tricep extensions, try some narrow (triangle) pushups.
    - Instead of crunches try some static holds: planks, side planks, reverse planks, hollow holds, etc.

As far as improving upper back musculature goes, all of the overhead pressing and pullups/rows should help. I don't remember if it was you asking about lower back musculature the other day, but that's not something you should be focusing on specifically. Lower back is all stabilizers, and gets worked with all of the heavy compound movements: squats, deadlifts, overhead press. You keep doing those lifts and getting stronger, your lower back will get plenty strong.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thanks for the thoughts.
    -Have you read all of 5/3/1? With the program the first week is a 5/5/5, second week 3/3/3, then third week 5/3/1. You're right though as far as aesthetics goes it's no the most effective but it does make you really dense looking. Good thing about 5/3/1 is you can change the accessory lifts to help with aesthetics which Is what I try to do. My programing has larger volume than some people that do 5/3/1.
    -I wouldn't be able to get through adding overhead press 5/3/1 to bench days, it would be way too much work.
    -You're right about the pullups, I actually do them with a band too. Since my trap / neck injury it has destroyed my overhead press and pullup power.
    -Good call on the skullcrushers, I'll def do that.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I would probably add another squat day but I've always been good at that movement because of olympic lifting. It's my best lift and it's way ahead of all my other lifts. I actually wanted to put squats on the back burner for a few months, still doing them and still hitting PRs of course. But to give me more training time to focus on upper body strength which I lack. I agree with the pullups/chins in replace of curls, I'm going to replace that, much better way to spend time. I think it was eason who asked about lower back. My lower back is good, almost bigger than my upper back >.>

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I pulled a muscle doing shit like that. :/

14. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Also, dips are another great substitue for the tricep extensions, and a more useful movement. Even better if you can get access to rings and do some ring dips.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Post-workout meal: 30g protein shake, 5 buffalo wings, whole 9" chicken/pineapple pizza, 4 slices garlic bread, chicken masala curry with 2 cups rice.