Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

once hooked up with a girl whose major muscle turn-ons was forearms and calves; she said she would creep on guys doing standing calf raises. didn't last long

2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Very distracting gym. The number of people, people asking me how many more sets (one when I was doing my first warmup set with an empty bar, one when I was loading more plates on, one when I was in the middle of my first work set), the music, the Zyzz t-shirts. Going to cancel my membership before they take the first payment in 10 days. Think I might make my own gym if I can get a power rack second hand cheap enough, got two months left on my current membership which is it at a gym which is almost always empty.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. jarude

jarude Senior member

do it, do it, do it, do it. $500 bux and you never have to deal with anyone else's shit ever again.

4. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

I always feel I perform better when I'm at an actual gym. That said my brother does have a nice little setup that's outside under the deck on a patio, it's pretty cool really.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

one day I'll have mine too when I have the space and the coin to get it. i can already see it

a couple of quality bars
    platform
    bumpers
    squat stand
    jerk blocks

man that would be perfect

that'll be way more than $500 though

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Am I right in thinking you built your own power rack?

7. StylinGuy

StylinGuy Well-Known Member

go pick up an iron gym pull up bar

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Reckon it'll be about £500-600 to get a bar, 125kg plates and rack, less if I can build my own rack for less. Will take two or three weeks to save up but I have two months until my gym membership runs out.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

wtf is this trash

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

why spend $500 on a power rack to do pull ups when you can do it all for just $29.95! (plus shipping and handling some assembly required)

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

i did have one i built myself, but then i found a solid one on kijiji for $100. if you cruise kijiji and have access to a truck or a trailer that you can haul stuff with, you're golden. independent gyms and new years resolutioners fail on a seemingly weekly basis around here; in the last 6 months alone i could've put together a few home setups for well under $1000 with kijiji stuff alone. check out local secondhand or consignment sports shops; there was a 50% groupon for my local place that i scored a few DB handles with. if you're patient, the deals will come. keep in mind, this isn't elite stuff, but you don't need rogue equipment and eleiko plates unless you're... well, nobody in this thread.

bar+300lbs plates brand new is $300, tops. i've found a few sets on kijiji starting at $200
    bench = 50$ used, $100 new
    rack = really depends, i lucked out hard at $100 but i've seen decent ones go in the $250 range

piecemeal, you can expect to pay around $500 if you're patient and find some deals. i've seen ridiculous packages from indie gyms going under; commercial rack + 500lbs + bar+dbs + flooring + bench = $600. just browse kijiji daily since the deals get snapped up really quickly.
    ime, nobody knows how to price gym equipment - you have people giving the shit away and then you have people asking retail price on 15 year old weider pec-dec/leg extension thingies.

personally, i have

rack (100)
    wooden bench (free)
    bb + db handles + plates (400)
    bands (30-50?)
    stall mat (50)

plus miscellaneous stuff, my setup is about $600 and there are no useful movements that i cannot perform given my current goals.

12. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Did a 225 bench test today for shits and giggles.... got 12 reps. Considering how frequently I bench in any way, shape, or form (maybe 2 times per month, never any incline/decline variations) and the number of chest/tricep assistance exercises I do (none, unless you count push-ups or dips during warming up), I was quite pleased.

Then tried maybe the most insane barbell complex I've ever done....
    1x(hang clean) + 1x(1.5 front squat) + 1x(push press) + 2x(1.5 back squat) + 1x(BtN push jerk)

Where 1.5 squats are down ATG, up halfway, back down ATG, then back up all the way. Goal was to do 5 cycles-- did 185lbs for 3 consecutive cycles before giving up. Managed 5 cycles with 165, then 5 with 155. Had to rest a good 5 minutes after each time to catch my breath. Will probably try it again soon, but for 1 cycle max weight and see what I can do... I think 100kg could be possible for a single max effort cycle.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

complexes are cool and all but you have to keep your focus when doing them, especially if it involves dropping a jerk back for subsequent stuff. can get hurt there

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Not that I've ever done one, but I don't like the idea of complexes where you have to transition from a press into a back squat, doesn't seem safe to me.

Friend fucked himself up on cleans today. Caught the bar too far back pushing his wrists really far under the bar then he let go and the bar roll back into his neck pushing him over then he fell back and smacked his head on a reverse hyper, pretty grim.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

don't know what to say here, there's kinda a reason competition platforms are 4x4 metres

i.e. space, it is needed

hope your acquaintance isn't badly injured