Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Flame

Flame Senior member

Pain in left elbow when arms are fully extended in a bench/overhead press.

What to do?

I have natural inward pointing elbows so this might screw up the mechanics of proper bench/overhead form.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Does the pain persist after lifting, or is it literally just in this position?

3. Flame

Flame Senior member

Pain only occurs when arm is fully extended, or when pressure is applied.

Tried foam rolling the joint but it doesn't really help.

I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I'm left-handed and play alot of basketball (i shoot a ton of jumpers)

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A lot of basketball and lifting? Might be snapping tricep syndrome. My friend (also played a shit ton of basketball and lifted here and there) had that a long time ago. Might want to go to the doctor's and get that checked.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

maybe tennis elbow?

i played a lot of tennis and my elbow would hurt when fully extended and it got worse when i played basketball

so my lower back is still not 100% (still a bit of pinching and pain), but tomorrow is deadlift day. should i hot and cold pack it tonight and go for it tomorrow and take special attention to keeping it tight and not hyperextending?

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

wish i could help ya but I've never dealt with lower back, just upper back. I just do a ton of mobility stuff before I ever touch a weight.

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

Thanks for the advice. Yeap gonna go see the doctor.

As for back issues, personally less is better than more. If i was bent on doing deadlifts, i would lift less poundage with more emphasis on form. Rest and rehab is just as important as workouts.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'd never go to a doctor for elbow / shoulder pain. There's so many things that can cause that and chances are you will be miss diagnosed. Are you doing soft tissue myofacial release work on your off days / before lifting?

9. mrchariybrown

I've had tennis elbow before.. but I always thought tennis elbow was a constant dull pain (worsened with extension). Where Flame's pain only occurs when extended.

But if it is tennis elbow (which it probably is), then the only way I found to cure it is to completely stop any pressing movement and let it heal. And then once healed, program your routine so that you limit pressing motions that caused the tennis elbow in the first place.

As for your lower back. I would wait til it's 100% til you start pulling again. But if you do decide to pull, stay light and work on form. Video tape yourself and watch the clips in between sets.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

ok. i'll take it lightly

i've been really really itching to pull ever since you posted those videos last week

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

You guys are so lucky. I had to pay 700 USD up front for 1.5 years to work out at my gym with 1 fucking squat rack.

12. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Started an IF diet, just to see what it's like and if I'd prefer it over what I'm doing now. Was pretty hungry today, but I think that's because I need to switch up with more wholesome foods that let me eat more and are more filling. Other than that, I think I really like it.

Not doing a 40/30/30 split, doing something like, 1g p per lb bodyweight, 40% fat, rest carbs. Turns out not drastically different but just higher fat and lower carbs, which I like a lot more. Cycling cals so I'm taking in 2200 on lifting days and 1650 on nonlifting days (difference is a PWO shake which I'll probably turn into a meal, just sticking with the shakes because it was easy to fit into a diet because I'm lazy).

13. msg

msg Senior member

Peanut butter: good source of protein? Or, too much fat relative to the amount of protein?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

14. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I am now Facebook friends with Mark Rippetoe and Glenn Pendlay.

15. mrchariybrown

That ain't that bad. I was paying a bit north of 325 USD for every 3 months in Korea (1950 USD for 1.5 years). Had one shitty squat rack with permanent safety bars that were too high so I had to stand on plates and squat.

Good source of protein? Definitely not for the reason you've stated.