Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

kwel

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

I'm going to hop on board the train here. If your blood cholesterol is too high, lowering your dietary cholesterol or saturated fat isn't going to do anything productive. The idea that ingesting too much cholesterol will cause heart disease is based on 50 years of bad science. Even though study after study fails to turn up any link, most information outlets haven't come around. What's worse, information about what constitutes "high" blood cholesterol has been skewed. The only REALLY good study ever done on the subject showed that very low blood cholesterol correlated to high mortality rate from various cancers, very high blood cholesterol correlated to high mortality rate from heart disease and stroke, and the lowest mortality rate was among the group that had what was otherwise considered slightly elevated blood cholesterol levels.

Lastly, the reason that eating more veggies/fiber will lower your blood cholesterol isn't what most people think. Eating more fiber makes you shit more. Digestive bile is made, in part, from cholesterol. You shit more, you lose more bile, your cholesterol numbers go down. It works, but it doesn't address what was causing the elevated levels in the first place. It is a way to mask a dietary problem rather than a solution - although, eating more green veggies is always a good idea.

Just how high are your levels that you think they need to come down? What is your diet like? Do you have other risk factors for heart disease or stroke?

Slightly elevated levels are rarely a big problem, and are usually a result of genetics more than diet. You should be able to know if you are eating healthy without having to look to your blood cholesterol number to tell you. If there's junk in your diet, get it out, but the grilled/baked chicken breast aren't going to give you a heart attack, whatever the militant vegetarians say.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Coldsnap, why would you even want to wear a singlet to the gym?

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

It's so comfortable and looks good IMO. I wore my adidas olympic lifting singlet to my regular gym once I quit olympic lifting, it's so breathable and comfortable. I forgot it when I moved though :( that and my fleshlight R.I.P

Last edited: May 1, 2012

5. joshuadowen

As discussed above, don't pay that much attention to your dietary cholesterol. Sodium/potassium intake matters, but is dependent on a lot of other lifestyle factors as well, such that "recommended" levels shouldn't be taken as gospel. If you sweat more than the average person - as a result of genetics, climate, or exercise - you'll be losing a lot of salt and can get away with more in your diet. Likewise if you drink a lot of water.

Why so concerned with losing water weight? Are you very lean already?

If you want to decrease bloating, I'd suggest cutting the canned beans and corn. Canned tuna shouldn't be a problem, and is too good a source of affordable protein to get rid of. I have seen it in low sodium varieties, as well.

6. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i bet webmd also advocates

I don't know what to tell you but if you have some time sit down and read

the cholesterol myth is based on extremely outdated data (1950s) and has been disproven time and time again in meta studies, epidemiological surveys, etc. your body produces 70% of your total cholesterol. eating 10% more of the 30% that you eat will not change much and studies have shown that if you increase cholesterol intake your body simply produces less.

out of the many articles i could cite i'm going to cite anthony colpo

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=49

basically teh gist of it is

ezetimibe is a total cholesterol and LDL lowering drug. in two studies it in fact did that .however it did nothing to improve the cardiovascular health of the patients (carotid artery wall thickness, which is a measurement of risk of CHD, did not decrease even with lower LDL and cholesterol; did not decrease minor heart attacks in people with narrow aortic valves).

WHO and FAO got together for a joint consultation which produced this paper

Fats and Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, 2009; 55 (1-3). Available online:
    http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...howproducts&searchWhat=books&ProduktNr=251867

some choice highlights

even tho this paper was partly from WHO, their CHD prevention guidelines still promote anti cholesterol anti saturated fat

it's been shown that LDL and total cholesterol are higher in obese patients along with a higher risk of CHD. i conjecture weight gain has more to do with cholesterol levels than intake of choletserol

if you want to reduce your cholesterol levels i suggest you cut but otherwise you're fine

Last edited: May 1, 2012

8. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I just want to get rid of the water weight to see how it would look. Never done it before.
    I'm probably not lean enough yet. It's hard to tell, but I would say I'm at 12% bodyfat or so. Pretty good definition in chest, arms and back and I can see the outline of my abs. I would like to reach 8-9.
    Canned beans and tuna wouldn't be a problem to get rid of. The tuna would be worse.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

2 day hangovers are you fucking kidding me mang, is this a thing now I'm like 25

also fretting about sodium/potassium is more for ppl in the single digits and not possibly in the high ones at that - @ 12% bf you have a lot more important stuff to focus on than this

Last edited: May 2, 2012

10. joshuadowen

12 percent body fat is very healthy, but I suspect high enough that losing water weight wouldn't do anything but make you dehydrated.

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Another Soccer game, another week of sore ankles :/

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

damn I've got abs this morning, not like soldier boy skinny abs but the thick ed coan abs I've wanted.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Settled on Banana, Whey, Creatine and Lactaid for morning shake. Seeing if it lasts me till lunchtime.

14. gort

gort Senior member

I'm rarely hungry in the morning, the only time I am is if I eat too close to bed time. I typically do a leangains fast so I eat 11-7 then fast 7pm-overnight.

15. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Going to be working Thursday to Sunday 3-11pm soon. No more Sunday evening workouts :(