Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. APK

APK Senior member

Yeah, in that he debunks a lot of the supposed truisms about meal timing that exist within the lifting world (e.g. you'll shrivel away if you don't eat every 2-3 hours).

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I've been working on my back with the theracane that i posted a bit back. I have so many trigger points on my injured shoulder it's stupid. Hopefully this will give me some additional relief.

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

get dat cinnabun protein... it's SF-approved

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I am on the poverty time though, unflavoured whey of peace. At least its got no sweetners in it.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

can't wait for this to get here

better be damn good for all the hype it gets

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Ya, IF and carb back loading use a lot of the same material, so your link is very supportive of Coldsnap's position.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

As far as meal timing, I've never really worried about it except for getting a shake in within an hour of completing my workout(ideally within 30 minutes). Other than that, doesn't really matter much to me.

On a side note, god I hate the consequences of a cheat meal. GF took me to a brunch buffet...good night sweet definition. That salt and water retention...that feeling of bloat...totally not worth it. I guess it'll motivate me to eat super clean the next week or so.

feelsbadman.

8. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

One really important to keep in mind with all fitness and nutrition science is that any time you are asking whether or not something works, you should also be asking how important said thing is. Meal timing is a great example. There is in fact a lot of evidence saying that your body will react differently to food at different times throughout the day. Does this mean that dialing in meal timing should be your number one priority? Probably not. Why? Because even though it matters, it doesn't matter as much as a lot of other things - namely food quality and quantity. Meal timing is the sort of thing to start thinking about AFTER you've dialed in food quality and quantity for a while and changes are starting to plateau. It's a small ticket item, and almost certainly not a starting point for improving nutrition.

Re: "Quality" Whey Powders, I think essentially the same thing. Is there a difference? Probably, but likely a very small one compared to all the other nutrition choices you are making. If you've got the money to be buying fancy whey powders, you should just be eating more meat.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i always found after a cheat day i feel leaner and i usually set PRs that day

10. APK

APK Senior member

Wanted to get rid of some chicken today and I've been seeing too many Buffalo Wild Wings commercials lately, so I made my own wing sauce. Put vinegar-based hot sauce, dried garlic and parsley, chilli powder, ground cumin, and a little bit of Splenda in a plastic bag with a couple pounds of sliced chicken breasts and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Turned out well. The mixture was spicy without being too hot, and the bit of Splenda added a hint of sweetness to the finished product.

Pretty happy with it, since it's a challenge to find a store-bought wing sauce that isn't filled with a bunch of junk.

[​IMG]

11. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Had a few beers last night, could have gone to the gym without it. Not hungover, just tired, dehydrated despite drinking vast quantities of water, eating plenty of greasy food and feeling a bit queazy straight from the first pint.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Thinking of making a shake when i wake up in the morning. Currently make some oatmeal + whey when I get to work but honesty I kind of hate it even though I can choke it down.

2 Scoops Whey + Ice + Banana + ???

I'm lactose intolerant so water or lactaid probs.

Should I fuck with raw oats/oat powder? I tried it with instant oatmeal and it got kinda gross, though it was without ice.

What about instant coffee for a little morning pick me up as well?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

13. joshuadowen

What's the goal here? Quick and easy breakfast?

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Yeah basically. Something to keep me full for a couple hours before second breakfast (oats and whey, i guess)

15. joshuadowen

Can you fry an egg? Takes five minutes and a few eggs in the morning will keep you plenty full. Protein and good fats. If you wants some carbs eat a banana as well. If frying eggs in the morning is too much, can always hard boil a dozen on a Sunday night or something. They'll keep for a few days with the shell on in the fridge.