Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

He didn't say it doesn't pull sugar, but that it doesn't pull ALL the sugar.

re: caloric excess

Seems fuzzy in the text, but it is recognized that it's possible to consume too much.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

That is my one worry with the carb-backloading thing. He seems to present it as if during that 30-60 minutes after a workout you have a free pass. I think that treating it as a free pass will get you in trouble.

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

He says the window is the whole night, if you train at 5pm, to be loading up on carbs. Get dat growth hormone. Hommie I know that is jacked is slamming orea cookies after workouts hehe, but he's 190 with a 10% bodyfat which looks awesome.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

1. lol dude. read my sentence again. i said all. insulin doesnt pull all the sugar out of your blood. you claim after a post carb fast high carb meal the insulin response will be so strong as to leave your blood sugar levels low for the next 36 to 48 hours. this is lolworthy and makes no sense. if you eat a lot of carbs you're going to have slightly higher fasted plasma glucose levels not lower. also glucose transport is not insulin dependent. insulin enhances glucose transport (brings the GLUT4 receptor to the surface of the cell) but the surface of muscle and fat cells have other glucose transport receptors. if you knock out the gene that codes for insulin receptors in mice they dont fall into a diabetic coma and actually have normal blood sugar levels. in other words it is wrong to say without insulin to lower your blood sugar you'd end up in a diabetic coma.

the blood glucose levels of a healthy person does not vary more than 10, 15% over the course of a day regardless of food intake. insulin levels vary widely, but not blood glucose levels.

2. your body doesnt mainly burn glucose and then switch over to fat. your cells burn whatever energy is easiest to get to (usually glucose). as blood sugar levels decline your body (eg liver) generates energy from multiple sources like protein in your muscles, your fat stores, and glucose trapped up in different molecules like glycogen. if what you claim is true when at a caloric deficit all people would lose only fat when we know that people on diets lose glycogen stores and lose muscle mass (due to amino acids being converted to acetyl coa) in addition to fat loss

:fu: why do i do this

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

disregard physiology, acquire broscience. it's what the cool kids do.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i do agree with this tho. full glyocgen replenishment rates (within 24 hours) occurs only if you eat a certain amount of carbs after your workout within a window. beyond that you're just adding fat stores. developing muscles need more energy, but only up to a point.

well insulin does also activate growth factors in conjunction with exercise but i doubt eating a tray of oreos helps that much more in muscle growth than a shake with some dextrose or oats in it

you should consider whether it's the oreos that he eats after workout that helps or whether he is in a caloric deficit despite the oreos he eats along with the weightlifting that helps. i suspect it's the latter

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

stupid me

8. APK

APK Senior member

Coldsnap, how long do you plan to run this? You should post some before and after pictures at that time. I'm still skeptical this is the plan you should be following if you're just trying to drop BF and you're not particularly lean to start with.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'm going to give it three months. I took pics the day I started back-loading. I def look way flatter already than those pictures already especially around the belly and hip area (which I'm stoked on becasue that was def my insecurity). I'm trying not to loose much weight on the program, I'm doing the density bulk program which states you want to gain 10% of your bodyweight but cut down to 12-14% bodyfat.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I agree, when bulking I eat lots of food, when cutting I eat less food. Not a single fuck was given about meal timing. Not taking slin so not fucks given about meal timing. I eat a bit of carbs before the gym and a bit afterwards.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Fuck meal timing. Doesn't matter imo.

Fuji has it right.

To a certain point it's as simple as: More food = bigger. Less food = smaller.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I don't like arguing about this type of stuff but saying meal timing doesn't matter is disregarding a lot of scientific proof and research that is actually does matter.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Please show me said scientific proof and research - after you follow my link where there's a links within the article to studies done on this very subject: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Isn't the lean gains dude all about meal timing essentially?

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I have a friend whose always bitching at me for buying really cheap whey protein, which apparently has very bad amino acid profiles and how he takes something called Sun Warrior protein and its natural with better amino acid profiles. I'm sure amino amino acid profiles do matter and theres probably scientific evidence as to why they're important, but he still squats 80kg and I squat 165kg. Disregard meal timing/ other minute details acquire big lifts.

Inb4 straw man argument.