Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. knucks

knucks Senior member

max aita is/was pretty boss. dont know what kind of totals he had (cant be bothered to search now) but he's PL now since he hurt his wrist and trains w mark bell.

2. knucks

knucks Senior member

Hm well, anyone interested in my Nike Romaleos? They mayyy be a bit tight, I'm either hoping they stretch out or I will lift without the insole (like the Do-Wins, they do not have one)..

Either way, throwing it out there.

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Almost fell down the stairs at the gym today after doing calves bahaha

4. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

I'm curious what you guys think of fasted training. I tried it for 6 weeks but found it tough. Had to lower my sets from 3 to 2 and I felt like I was rushing thru the reps. Felt exhausted after. I took some BCAAs 30min before and a little during and it didn't really help. I did two sessions this week after some oatmeal and killed it. Anyone else find fasted training rough?

One other question. Are calories just calories or do you find eating clean calories (lean meat and veggies vs refined carbs and sugar and saturated fats) make a difference with cutting? I definitely find clean calories are more fillling for the calories but more work to make in my shitty kitchen.

Sorry for the noob questions.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Did the first day of the T Nation Neanderthal No More. I can def tell when I'm going to be tight tomorrow.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ugh, the fucker at Whole Foods didn't pack my apple cheese danish this morning. Now I ate a full box of oreos post workout instead. I'm about to carb backload rage on that mofo.

7. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I hate fasted training. Others here swear by it. It's what gives you the feeling of being the most explosive. For me, no matter if I eat half my weight at dinner, I wake up famished. Since I work out in the morning, I have a light breakfast.

As to the latter, again, it's what you feel gives you the results you want. Some people don't have a problem with fat deposition in bad/hard-to-remove places regardless of whether they eat junk food or not. Others notice/feel as though eating high sodium/sugar foods is hurting their cut. If you're cutting on sugar and salt and you still get the looks you want, then yo'ure probably okay. I eat predominantly clean 24/7, and am doing a clean bulk even, though; you may have different goals.

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Wanted to try something a bit different today so I remembered something that my coworker had told me about. He is very into crossfit, but from what I can tell, he seems to have a pretty good instructor. He was telling me about a recent challenge that he had completed in. He had 12 minutes to perform 150 body squats with a 20 lbs. medicine ball, throwing the ball at a target 10 ft. high at the completion of each squat. This was followed by 90 "double-unders", which I found out is jumping rope 90 times only you pass the rope underneath you twice for each jump. This is capped off with 12 muscle ups, basically a pull-up that transitions into a dip.

Today I just wanted to do 100 of the body squats. I managed to do it in about six minutes. My legs feel awful. Walking will definitely be a challenge tomorrow.

9. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Read that as 12 minutes of muscle up... Was going to say that is probably physically impossible. haha

10. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Carb back-loading is great. At first it seems to be against common sense to only have carbs in the evening (after workout) but I've never felt so solid.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

so if i train while fasted and only have a scoop of whey pre-workout and then eat the other 99% of my day's calories PWO, does this mean i am carb backloading?

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

This was a Crossfit Open workout to qualify for the games, and is pretty tough. The 150 wallballs should take 6-7 minutes if you are very good, but for a newer athlete can take closer to 10-12. Double-unders are mostly a technical movement, but take a lot of practice to get proficient at.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I guess so, if you don't eat carbs on the days you don't workout.

14. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

You are supposed to work out later in the day for carb backloading. I remember reading that training other times than around 3 or 4pm was not optimal because that is when your insulin sensitivity drops off. FWIW carb backloading did not seem effective to me.

15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Yeah, I just watched a YouTube video of some X-fit dude doing double-unders and he was just cruising. I'll definitely have to practice that for a while. I was jumping rope for a couple of min the other day and my calves are absolutely killing me today.