Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think you were the one with the similar problem to me. I took a lot out of that to correct my posture.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I need to add more volume to my workouts but A. I dont like to be in the gym for more than 1 1/2 hour with stretching and B. I have a hard time finding accessory work I like and think are worthwhile.

3. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

How many days/week do you go? Is adding another day a possibility?

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

im doing moderate volume 4 days a week; ~20 sets with 1.5 min rest intervals on an upper day and i'm in and out in an hour tops. decrease your rest periods, perhaps?

i fall in and out of love with assistance work pretty quickly, depending on how it progresses. throw it in there, even if it sucks, you may turn out liking it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I go Monday Wednesday Friday. I don't really want to add another day because I stretch a lot / bike outside of the gym and once I add another day I feel like I'm always working out. But I've been told I need to up my volume a bit to optimize this diet.

Here's examples of my past workouts:

Deadlift 5 3 1
    Goodmornings 4 x 10
    Crunches 4 x 10
    Farmer Walks 4 x 60 sec
    Forearm barbell curl 4 x 10

5/3/1 overhead press
    Pullups 5x5
    Face Pulls 4 x 12
    Dumb Shrugs 4 x 10
    Tricep Extensions 4 x 10
    Tricep Pushdowns 4 x 10
    then some rotator cuff work.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

why you no curl?

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I curl on bench day. I bench tomorrow will prob do this:

Bench 5/3/1
    Facepulls 4 x 10
    Pushups 4 x Failure
    Inverted Rows 4 x 10
    Curl Bar Curl 4 x 10
    Hercules Curl 4 x 12
    then some rotator cuff work

8. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

possibly a stupid question, but do yous people use pre-workout stuff or creatine? I am intrigued but don't really know much about supplements and i don't really trust supp advertisements or the reivews on bb.com and the like. are any of those worthwhile or just placebo?

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Hey Coldsnap, curious why you're doing 5-3-1? I honestly have never liked those types of programs. Maxing out every week just doesn't seem that great to me. 5x5x5 or even 8-8-6 have worked much better for me.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Hey bud,

It depends on what your goals are. Creatine works. It gives you another 1-2 reps per set and just gives you that last little bit of energy. It makes a big difference in the long run. I don't take it when cutting because it bloats me with water, but it's a must-have in bulking season.

I like pre-workouts like Jack3d and 1MR and ECA stack. They help increase the intensity of your workout significantly. Since my workouts have a ton of sets, they are a must-have for me. If you find yourself exhausted before you are able to do everything you want to, perhaps give them a try.

11. theecaptain

Thanks! Is there much difference between different brands of creatine? Or pretty much the same stuff?

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Brands won't make a difference other than taste and how well it mixes in. Chances are, it's going to taste pretty gross:

I'd limit it to either Creatine Monohydrate or Creatine Ethyl Ester in a powder form, not in liquid or pill form. Creatine Monohydrate is a bit cheaper but can cause a bit more water retention. If this is important to you, consider getting CEE. Regardless, the benefits in the weightroom will be identical.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I did 5x5 for 6 months, starting strength. After that working with %s seemed to be the next logical step. It's also a stupid easy program that works well. shieko will probably be next.

14. theecaptain

Not really worried about water retention and bloat tbh...don't have visible abs anyway so it hardly makes a difference. Actually I probably wouldn't be able to start using anything until august anyway now I think about it. I do want to give creatine a try though. Thanks for the info.

15. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

My creatine doesn't dissolve at all, which means it doesn't taste like anything :/ I kinda like that though.