Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone have any of these? I got a trigger point massage and it felt so fuck awesome my shoulder/neck always hurts now. I usually rub it out with a lacross ball or a tennis ball but the neck is a tricky area.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^i have one. it's awesome

i eat about 160g of protein in meat a day and supplement that with eggs, whey, casein, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, and occasionally tuna. i get anywhere between 200 and 240 a day.

so...

i injured my lower back again. i was doing 5/3/1 sumo deadlifts yesterday. my last set i went for 295x5 and the last two reps i could feel my lower back starting to pinch. i stopped on the 5th rep even though i was fairly confident i could get a 6th and 7th rep, did some hyperextensions, went home did a heat pack and aspirin. and then today i tried to tie my shoelaces and i strained it badly.

:(. i feel like an old man. i need to keep my core tighter when i deadlift.

would a belt help with this? i dont even know why people use belts

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

3. APK

APK Senior member

I do. Works great to get the precision you can't get with foam rolling and even with the lacrosse ball (depending, of course, on where the trigger point is). I had terrible shoulder pain for several months last year. Then I got one of these (and the companion book) and the pain was completely gone within a few days.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Ow, sore ankles yet again. No bilsters this time, but ankle feels slightly worse.

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

:brick:

But anyway... I can't really say if a belt would fix your problem or not. I would have to see how you pull first.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so what's the point of a belt?

at first glance i feel like it's useless simply because if you keep your core tight enough you dont need a belt to do that for you. it seems like a crutch if anything. but i hvaent really looked into it

i'll video tape next week when or if i do deadlifts

i was watching that brandon guy you posted and his back curves so much when he deadlifts. if i did that my back would give in one rep. i make sure my back is super straight. i pull with my back, hip thrust as i do so, and the whole time i'm mostly on the heels of my feet.

7. mrchariybrown

Do some more research.

It's going to help keep your core tighter and thus help prevent injuries better.

And nothing wrong with back rounding if you have better leverage like that. If you want examples of guys who pull like that and pull record-breaking numbers, look up Tom Martin and Konstantin Konstantinovs.

I even pull with a really round back. I haven't hurt my back once.

Rounded backs aren't what usually causes back injuries during deadlifts.. hyperextension at lockout is the most common culprit. And I would put money on it that you probably hyperextend.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

oh for reals? hyperextension at lock out?

but when i pull i feel a lower back pinching at the bottom of the lift and it gets better at the top. and the pinching progressively gets worse throughout reps.

i dont think i hyperextend as i have to constantly remind myself to lock my knees out fully (i dont most of the time) but i've never taken a video of my form so you might be right

i dont get it. so is there a right way to round your back?

oh that's tom martin. i think you've posted him before. dude is a beast. dont even understand how he is physically possible. can't believe he's only 180 pounds

if konstantin was a lineman for the nfl :drool:

9. mrchariybrown

You probably have that feeling that the bottom because it's already injured. And it feels better at the top because there's some pressure on it - temporarily alleviating pain but not fixing it. Kind of like what you cut yourself, and if you tightly hold the area, it hurts less but once pressure it off, the pain comes shooting back.

Knees not being locked is usually a telltale sign that the lifter is hyperextending to a certain point at the top.

If you don't lock you knees out most of the time, then most of the time you're probably hyperextending your lower back.

10. mrchariybrown

Yeah, STAY TIGHT.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

ok thanks for that charry.

should the bar be scraping my shins? cuz sometimes i feel like i could get the bar closer to my body

i watched some of ex's videos and it seems like the bar scrapes his thighs as it goes up. i feel like when i do it it probably looks more like i'm humping it

12. mrchariybrown

Doesn't necessarily have to be scraping (most pulling styles will) but once you bend down, grab the bar, and get into your starting position, that bar should be TOUCHING your shins.

They sometimes scrap my shins. They almost always graze the bottom of my knees - I usually walk out of the gym bleeding :)

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I'm a giant wuss and wear knee socks while deadlifting.

14. mrchariybrown

I don't blame you. I have baby powder all over my knees and thighs when I'm pulling.

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Ditto. My socks are worn so thin in the shins (from being cheap and shitty not from being whoawegotabadassoverhere), I took a layer of skin off my shins through my socks last night. Hams are a lot more sore than usual for whatever reason too.