Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Holy crap, I have coffee / caffeinated beverages once every two months if that.

Also eason your friend is the awesome. 90% rom my ass, dude is brilliant.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

just ordered a huge green parka from lands end so when I bulk to like 230lb in the winter no one will know im fat. Disregard expensive conceptual clothes, acquire aesthetics and wear skin tight shirts. Cannot be physically attractive if you don't lift. Tempted to post that in WAYWT to troll for the lolz.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

4. gort

gort Senior member

I'm another one in the "Caffeine immune" club. :embar:

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

i'm trying to reduce my intake to a single 14oz cup in the morning in hopes of improving my caffeine sensitivity cuz right now, a cup pre-workout doesn't do shit

inb4 broscience

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

I'm trying to cut out coffee most days so I get the hit from it when I need it.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yay, new PR today. 5 x 335lb deadlift @ 168 bw.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Been letting one of my friends work out with me for the past 3-4 months. And I've been giving him diet advice too.

He's only 5'4-5" and went from 190 to 175 (looks like it was all fat and water and might have put a couple pounds of muscle on too).

Just tested his new maxes last week to compare to his starting lifts.

• Squat: 115 -> 275 (atg + paused)
    • Bench: 155 -> 245
    • Deadlift: 135 -> 375

His actually squat (parallel and no pause) is probably up near 310. But we'll just test it again later on when I have him stop doing atg+pause.

And his deadlift is definitely higher than what he pulled.. that was after 225 x 20, 315 x 1, 365 x 1.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Jelly of dem manlet genetics. Out benching me after 4 months training.

10. mrchariybrown

I'm really impressed with his bench and deadlift increases. I don't mind having him tag along my workouts and asking me for advice because he doesn't complain or questions everything I say. He just shuts up and lifts how I tell him to.

11. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Tow questions:

1) I eat 200g of protein/day (I weight 180). Should those 200g only come from lean protein sources (chicken, tuna, meat) or lean protein sources + whatever (chicken, tuna, meat and veggies, cheese, milk, etc)? I would say I'm eating 150g or so from leans sources and another 60-70 from whatever else.

2) I'm having some slight problems on my squats. Trouble with keeping my chest up, butt back, and not shaking, moving my knees. I have stalled for a bit and thinking of switching it up.
    There's a machine at my gym that looks like a power rack, but the bar is fixed so it can't move forward or backwards. It's much easier to get proper form (and thereby activating the right muscles better) when squatting with this one since it stabilizes itself.
    Is it a good idea to use this one or should I try the box squat instead?

12. mrchariybrown

1. Seems fine to me. Some guys are fine with 1x. Some need 1.5x. Etc etc etc. It varies.

2. That's a smith machine. Steer clear of that.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

1) 200g from meats sounds really, really expensive. I don't know of anyone who does that regularly. Most are getting up to the 200g+ daily using whey and dairy products. Probably 1/2 of my daily intake comes from meat and the rest from those other sources.

2) The machine you are referring to is known as a Smith machine and is generally considered a huge no-no by weightlifting enthusiasts for squats. Your best bet is to do squats with a lower weight until you master the form. It sounds like you need some core strength, too. The box squat is intended to help lifters get the feel of heavier weight than they can parallel(or ATG) squat rather than helping folks master proper squat form.

14. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Alright.
    Seems I'm doing it right with the food at least. And yeah, 200g meat is very expensive, haha.

I've heard of the smith machine before but didn't know it was that one. It seemed to help me but figured it wasn't optimal so best thing to ask.
    If I drop my max weight for 5 reps on squats with about 10 pounds, my form is good. Will stick with lower weights on the squat for a while then. Don't wanna get into box-squatting since I have a decent routine already.

15. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Easy exercises are easy for a reason.... they don't stress you very much. If they don't stress you very much, you're not going to get much benefit from them. The stability issue is exactly the reason to DO real squats; most folks don't lack leg strength, they lack all the other strength that is needed to squat well, predominantly lower back and hips. Almost no one squats perfectly the day the step into a gym-- I think all of us probably had to work to fix issues at some point or another and had to take off some weight and re-train the movement. I think most legit lifters would have more respect for someone squatting 135 deep as shit with good form than that asshole in Eason's post squatting 355 like a bitch.