Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

re: head position

but but... rippletits told me to keep my head down!

I appreciate the feedback and will try some of this out but not everyone is in agreement with how my squat should look.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

listen to chariy

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

i will always listen to charly's quads of peace (kindahomo)

4. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Everything charly told you is spot on. Excepting the last one, which at least for me comes down to comfort (wide with toes pointed in or wide with toes pointed out). Don't look down, it's extremely easy to let your back slacken, exactly as what happens to you.

5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

The rule isn't looking up or down. The rule is keeping your spine neutral throughout the lift. Any exaggerated change in head position will bring your spine out of alignment. Before you even get under the bar, look straight ahead. For the remainder of the lift, your head should not move with respect to your torso. In practice this means you will be looking slightly down at the bottom of the lift, and straight ahead at the top.

Looking "up" will cause hyperextension of the lumbar spine, and is no good.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

There's a difference between "looking up" and "looking slightly up". Nobody is suggesting he hyperextend anything. And the only way he would negatively affect his lumbar spine is by literally looking straight up.

The best head position is anywhere between 0 and probably 30 degrees above the horizon.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Dave tate, told me to look up, I gone look up. Need to force our traps into the bar. Bacon looks like he has pretty much barely tension through his back. Need to focus on really squeezing the bar and pulling your back together.

More PRs in the incline db bench and lying tricep extension, 5rm from friday have became 3x8. Also increased clen to 120mcg today, feel a lot more jittery.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

I don't even know where I look when I'm squatting. Just kind of zone out visually.

Finally caved and bought some shoes-- Romaleos 2 should be arriving this week. Chose them because I like the fact that they can easily be confused for regular Nike sneakers with airmax (so I won't draw much attention), and also that they have graded heel heights. I haven't been out drinking for three weeks now, so I figure the money saved from that should be adequate to cover price of the shoes :cheers: Clearly I've learned all my budgeting skills from the gov't here in DC.... not spending money is the same as getting more money! :D

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I'm turning into you. DB bench instead of flat barbell and sumo deadlift instead of hook grip shoulder-width stance. Kinda fun to mix it up every now and then, though.

10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Alright, I have been fortunate enough to have the next 30 days off from work and would like to use that opportunity to (amongst other things) hone my exercise/fitness regime.

Background:

- I was 135lbs about 6 months ago but through great guidance from people on this board, was able to get up to my current weight of 180lbs
    - Current lifts: OHP 115lbs 3x5, Benchpress 195lbs 3x5, Deadlift 205 3x5, Squat 165lbs 3x5
    - A few months ago, I hurt my groin and as a result, have stopped squatting. For a while, I was just doing upper body but have since picked up DL'ing again with no pain. Form has improved and I am confident I can push my DL up pretty quickly, it is clearly lagging my other lifts.

Goals:

- I have attached a couple pictures of my current physique herein. I don't really want to gain more weight but would like to have more defined muscles both upper and lower body. While not putting on additional body weight is preferable, if the consensus is that bulking and cutting is necessary, I would consider it
    - I feel like I have a little pouch/paunch in my lower abs, would ideally like to get rid of that. This may also be because I have some sort of inverted pelvis thing ie posture related.
    - I have consistently had neck issues after doing things like OHP and things like dips that I wouldnt expect to cause issue. It can be bad enough that wearing a tie is tough. If I can make any progress towards fixing that, that would be huge

Constraints:

- dont want to squat due to the groin, otherwise, no real constraints
    - I can cook whatever I want, eat whatever I want from the outside world and go to the gym for as many hours/days etc as I like

Thoughts? Please refrain from quoting the images, those will be taken down shortly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  11. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Your weight gain in 6 months is impressive, but honestly I don't think you're at the point yet to be cutting. I don't think you need to "bulk" per se, but I'd start lifting heavy if you aren't already. It looks like you've gotten some good chest mass, but your arms are lacking quite a bit.

If I were you, I'd eat at maintenance with 200g of protein daily and lift heavy at least 4x/week. Looking at your current lifts, there's some strength gains to be made. Do you feel like you're truly pushing yourself when you lift?

Missing out on squat hurts. Do lunges cause pain?

Edit: Wanted to again say, good job on the bulk. It's a great start.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  12. gort

gort Senior member

Dinner tonight:

[​IMG]

Turkey bacon wrapped egg muffins. Macros for 6: 430 calories, 3g carbs, 12g fat, 86g protein

SO full. :D :embar:

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Need another 750 calories to get to 700 deficit today but am NOT hungry at all. Gonna have to force myself to eat something. Damned ephedrine...

14. gort

gort Senior member

Wish I wasn't too scurrd to try ECA.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

woah. post recipe