Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Alright, styleforum. Taped some squats tonight. My angus is peppered (please don't share these to laugh at with your bros... it's not that peppery):

170x5: Sadly the most I've ever squatted. Farting sound on last rep came from my mouth (have yet to fart while squatting... maybe that's what's holding me back). Lost focus on that last rep cuz I felt the weight shift onto the ball of my right foot (which seems to happen often when I get tired).

135x10: Back-off set immediately following the 170x5

Probably had one shitty rep left in me on both of those sets. Yeah, I know... do I even lift?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Flame

Flame Senior member

Help me out here.

Post workout meal:

4 servings of leafy veg (mostly spinach & brocoli) + 3 egg whites. Best I can get at the university cafeteria. Singaporean canteens mostly serve stir-fried meals with too much oil & fat & shitty carbs.

Typical workout includes (68 kg bw)
    - 1.3 km x 4 HIIT intervals
    - 85 kg 5x6 squats
    - 40 kg 5x6 barbell shoulder press
    - 95 kg 5x6 deadlifts
    - 25 kg 3x8 upright rows
    - pullups 8x3

Somedays I do kettle bell swings, core work (planks, pikes etc) or plyometrics instead.

I'm training mostly for athletics / sport specific / power, not really looking to add mass but to get that explosiveness power.

Reason I'm asking is because I get hungry so easily and end up late night binging at times. (Goodbye shredded lower abs) Also sometimes I get really drained in the morning even with enough sleep.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

It's because you hardly have any fat in your diet. No fat = get hungry quickly. Not enough protein = don't stay full.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

your form is really not that bad. i think you have a tendency to lean over and i prefer a wider powerlifting stance, but it looks ok to me.

i would suggest box squats to help with the leaning over. lead with your chest out and lift your head up and sit back. sitting back should help with the weight shift onto the balls of your feet

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. Flame

Flame Senior member

I try to get around this by eating lean chicken, non-fat yoghurt + lots of leafy green + water for dinner to stay full.

But yes I tend to stay away from fats.

Don't want that extra bulk to affect my 400m PR timings

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Fat isn't bulk, it serves an important purpose. Get more in your diet or you will always be hungry and end up eating extra calories because of it.

7. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

-Stop looking down
    -Keep your toes on the ground
    -Can't really tell from this angle but keep your upper back tight
    -Might need another video from behind

If you want some more visual cues how to squat properly you should watch this series (note: this is on power lifting stance.)

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I <3 Backon Those looked O.K. You lack hip drive though, your squats are like all pressing with your feet. At in some GHR to your workouts if you can.

9. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

With as much as you are training you should definitely be eating more fat. It won't bulk you up, it will just get you the energy you need. You seem to be focused on eating pretty clean, so get your fat from quality sources too: quality meats and fish, olives, avocado, coconut, etc

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Did a bunch of double KB snatches with 2 20 kg bells after BB complexing. I guess that makes BB complexes day my "power" day.

Should've probably started lighter but whatever. But man, holy shit do you feel like a fucking boss throwing that shit in the air.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

the biggest thing that's popping out at me is that your hips are rising before your chest, so you end up good morning-ing the weight halfway up. stay as upright as you can on the way down, and as soon as you are out of the hole, think about pushing your hips forward under the bar while staying upright. locking out a squat is all about that hip drive; i found doing low-bar squats helped me a lot with that.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Awesome morning for me:

Down another pound...puts me at 5lbs away from my final cut weight. I'm at the point where I have a nicely visible 8-pack when flexed and 4-pack when relaxed. I'm a little disappointed in how my chest is turning out(a bit on the small side), but this just tells me what I need to work on in the fall.

Today at the gym I back squatted 315 x 8 for my final set. I think this means next week I'll be able to finally reach my 4-plate 1RM goal.

Also, as I was leaving one of the women who lift there regularly(low weight class bodybuilder type -- nice body) stopped me and told me, "you've been cutting up really nicely. You're doing great." as I was leaving. Feelsgoodman.

13. gort

gort Senior member

Have you still been making steady strength gains on your cut?

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yes and no. My squat, deadlift, OHP, and T-bar row have continued to improve. My bench press has slightly decreased, and my pullups have remained stationary(despite losing weight).

The bench press is a bit frustrating, but the decrease has been minor. I went from being able to rep 225x7 down to only 6.

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

• Unrack properly - you should be mentally and physically prepared to squat before you get under that bar. You should be tight before that bar comes off the rack and when you step back, you should be taking 3 steps, TOPS, to get positioned. All that stumbling and shit makes it obvious you aren't tight and prepared to squat.
    • Keep your whole foot planted the whole time.
    • Look straight or slightly up to help keep your chest high and torso from being folded over and thrown forward at the bottom.
    • Point your toes in slightly if you can't keep from being thrown forward. Toes pointed that far out with a wide stance works better for geared lifters.