Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Recently I've been feeling really hot from the clen, mainly my chest. Not like sweating, but my temperatures definitely up. Drank too much coffee today, don't think it was a good idea to mix caffeine and clenbuterol, heart rate went up and I got really twitchy.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I feel like you got a negative spin. Let me put things a different way.

Several people read this and expressed some notion that your lifts should be higher. So did you. Here is what I'm going to suggest. If you are historically untrained, average height, low BMI, and are squatting greater than your body weight, you may be "unlucky" and "not strong" by internet standards, but realistically you are about average. Combination of those things also generally suggests a small frame size. If you're 5'9 150lbs and wear small shirts, it's going to be a struggle to reach intermediate level. This isn't any more abnormal than the 5'4 165lb guy who wears mediums and cruises immediately to intermediate.

I'll welcome anyone to challenge me with statistics that suggest otherwise, but I'll be surprised to see it. I find it equally implausible that some insignificant tweak to your macros is going to make the slightest bit of difference. The idea that you're eating 10% too many fats and it's killing your progress just reads like a joke to me. Your lifts are within reasonable percentiles of each other to simply suggest you may be a hair more proficient at benching and a hair less proficient at deadlifting.

I'm not saying that videos don't help or that lifting form and diet cannot be infinitely improved and refined, just that the wiggle room on that stuff is really minor, maybe 10% either way for both. If you were completely plateaued and a vegan, that would be one thing, or if you had some other odd phobia such as zero carbs, zero fats; those are large grievances. But as you've said, 3kcal, steady gaining, and you consume protein.

You did say SS for 6 months and I know what that is like, but in hindsight you spent at least 3 of those months completely plateaued. That's basically a training error that SS dumps on everyone by not being more clear what to do with plateaus and how to GTFO of the program.

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Thanks for that... did confirm some of my suspicions (if you are indeed correct). FYI, 5'11" (not exactly a manlet) was 145# (clocked in at 168# the other day). Large portion of that was fat gain as evident by the ~8%bf increase. My hopes that fewer calories and tighter macros will fix that, not necessarily put more pounds on my squat. And looking at my training logs, was just under 5 months total (but still discouraging seeing people on the Internet squat 2plates for reps after 3 months or less).

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think bacon sucks more than me at lifting weights. He can bench more than I though but I've got a good 50-70lbs on the other lifts.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I guarantee I suck more at it than any regular poster in this thread. I did manage to bench 160x3x5 last night tho. feelsokayman

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I probably couldn't get that. When I benched regularly I got up to a 100kg shitty single, maybe can get 70kg for 5 now. Less then I dumbbell incline bench, just can't get the bar moving off my chest, just feels weird. 5'11" another asian master race, well close enough.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

the macro issue isn't killing performance, its putting unnecessary fat and weight on his frame; dialing in his macros will ensure he can crush linear progression while eating an adequate amount of protein without turning into a fatty.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Stoned yoga was one of the best decisions i've made pretty much in the history of ever.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

4 days into this diet my stomach has alreay gone from bloat to ripped.

10. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Wait wut, you gained 8% BF in 6 months while eating only 3k per day? I dont think i've gained more than 5-6% BF since i started training. Something doesnt add up here. How much total weight did you gain? Sounds to me like you ate a massive calorie excess while training with low intensity or bad form........only problem with that theory is you say you ate only 3k

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I have no idea how you can think this to be true given the history he has provided. Lengthy plateau(s) on SS while consuming a caloric excess with animal protein left him with a body weight squat and bench (5'11 at ~165). That's the end of linear progression, it's not coming back. Videos, form tweaks, and diet might squeeze out another (immediate) 10% but it will be hard work from here on out.

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

+1

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

He should start looking at 5/3/1

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Time to go pound a full cheese pizza, two pretzels from the mall, and a cheese cake from chick fil a. :slayer:

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

or, you could take what i said out of context and miss the point i was making: dialing in his macros will mean he will be able to progress without becoming a fatty and ensuring he's been eating adequate protein. the fact that he never regularly tracked his calories yet stated "i always ate more than X grams of protein" means i'm going to take that with a grain of salt. i promise you, any beginner who's reached a plateau who hasn't been religiously tracking calories is most likely not eating enough protein.

"the end of linear progression" is assuming he stays on SS; if he switches to something like SPBR which i suggested to him, he will be able to make linear progress on the basis of reduced squatting frequency alone.

i plateaued hard on SS, like everyone does but was again making linear progress for months when i started training with ex. "the end of linear progression" isn't some magical point that you reach regardless of what program you're doing.

you're overrating caloric excess too, i was making linear progress on a daily deficit for a long time, and this was after plateauing on ss, spbr, etc. this is why im suggesting he watch his macros since excess does not always mean useful excess.