Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

but add me to the cutting list, I'm have to do 10 days of no carbs other than vegtable sources to start this diet I'm going on.

2. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Why?

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

To wipe out my glycogen reserves. This diet shares some similarities with IF but it's made for powerlifters. But trust me the carbs come later after the 10 day pre prep.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

And you'll look swole as hell. Gotta love glycogen restoration.

I'm running about a 700 calorie deficit to get down from 168 --> 162, then cutting sodium and will try and maintain 160 for the summer. Should be sitting at a wonderful 8% BF in 30 days...just in time for the beach!

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, I'm pretty stoked to do it. I'm super bloated right now because I bulked from 139lbs to 170lbs. Also I've never done something like this, I eat a lot of carbs as you can see from the nutrition log I posted. Post pre prep the diet looks similar to what I did to bulk but the timing of eating is all different.

6. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Checked out the Pit today. Don’t even know where to begin.

First off: a very, very hardcore gym. The majority worked in teams. The gym owner forgot about me and was an hour late. Most people I spoke to disliked SS and Rip in general. One dude (the biggest and strongest in the gym) said the squat technique in SS is dangerous. I think he holds a few state or national records (can’t remember). There was only one dude training alone doing clean and snatches, and he came over and started chatting to me between sets. He’d done SS and was the only one who liked it. Initially I thought this place wouldn’t be for me, however, after speaking to this dude I thought, fuck it, I can just do what he does and do my own thing. They have power racks so I’m good.

Owner finally arrives as everybody is leaving and says he usually doesn’t take guys like me (underweight, de-conditioned). He liked my attitude though, so he said I can sign up if I do the initial strength test ($70 — fair enough), plus get a personal trainer ($70 a session, few times a week), and maybe look at doing ‘Frontline’ on weekends ($20 a day) to increase my overall fitness. He said I could do 'Frontline' and it wouldn’t affect my strength program. Oh, and he’d only let me sign up for a minimum of 12 months ($70 a month). Can’t really afford this.

I don’t know what to think. It was an interesting experience, especially for somebody who hadn’t stepped foot in a gym before. I prefer just to work alone and I’m not really interested in lifting competitively. It seemed the owner only wanted to sign up people who can best represent the gym as ‘the strongest’ in the state which is fair enough, and people who were committed for years at a time.

The whole thing has left me a bit depressed and I’m not even sure why. Driving home I started trying to convince myself that maybe 56kg is OK and it’s just genetics.

I did manage to squat for the first time. Couldn’t do anything more than the empty bar. Form was OK, but not consistent. My back is fine on the way down (extended), but coming up was a problem. Press was OK too, though my general flexibility was terrible.

I started logging my diet this week and have been hitting 3-3500 calories a day, including 1L of milk. This is without even training yet. I think this is just over my maintenance level.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

$70 sign up fee, $70 a month, $70 PT sessions a couple times a week, and $20 conditioning work on the weekend.

Jesus fucking christ, dat dere up-sell

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

So what you're saying is, it's not really a gym open to the "public"? And what is Frontline?

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

In the highest. Holy crap.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Sounds like you need to find a different gym, though

11. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

I think it’s more because I’m such a skinny, de-conditioned bitch that he’d want me to do all this stuff so I’m getting results and thus don’t make the gym look bad. Like I said, it’s a very hardcore gym.

From memory, Frontline incorporated general fitness stuff and was done out front. I think he mentioned something about prowler sprints? I could be wrong. They have plenty of pictures on Facebook. I don’t know the names of most exercises other than the basic lifts.

Yes. Unfortunately there isn’t many options. Most gyms around here don’t either a) have a squat rack, or b) allow chalk.

12. gort

gort Senior member

Maple don't feel depressed, you went to a place that is only meant for serious veteran lifters. Most of the participants in this thread wouldn't be a good fit for a gym like you describe. Go sign up at a local gym that is more your speed. You have to start somewhere. If you never dip your toes in the pool, you're never going to learn to swim.

Any gym is better than no gym. Like I said, start somewhere. Work with what is available to you and don't try to convince yourself it's not worth it.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Isn't it some kind of medicine you spray dogs with so they don't have flees? Would go to a different gym, thats stupidly expensive. Your a beginner, you can just do SS yourself without some guy trying to take all your money.

DB OHP PR today, 3 easy sets of 8 with last weeks 5rm. Feels good man.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

God I hate taking days off from the gym. Absolutely hate it. I'm on 6x/week, the 7th day is by far the hardest. Tomorrow is overhead squats and front squats though, so I guess I need my energy.

Fuarrrkkk this is tough. Jersey Shore and studying for the rest of the day. :(

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

"Well, I don't usually sell to just ANYBODY, but I really like the cut of your gib so I'll give you a GREAT DEAL!"