Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

The author of this book denies this even, though. That's something with which I agree. Muscle mass doesn't grow by increasing reps.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

[​IMG]

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

So if I squat my 1rm every day for lots of singles then one day I squat it for a double I'm not stronger or have more mass? Seems legit bro.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

fuji, i can't help but feel that the way you write really emphasizes your stim'ed out state. It's really, really funny to me for some reason.

5. Khayembii Communique

Increasing reps alone. Did I really have to make that distinction for you brahs?

EDIT: Here, let me rephrase. Let's say you're doing some random lift, and you're doing 3x10. Every time you hit every rep you weight up. What's the benefit to all of a sudden changing this rep scheme to 3x15? Why not just keep it 3x10 and weight up every time you hit all 10 reps every set? Just to mix it up?

Or, another related yet somewhat different example. If someone hits 10 reps on a bicep curl, then some time in the future does 15, then further in the future 20, all of the same weight, and so on, do you really think they're gaining muscle mass? Isn't there a point where this becomes futile, as the author of this book argues?

Example is dumb because we're talking about high rep sets.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I've been on clen for 3 days, before hand I never used any prework out stims or stims in general really. I just write like a retard all the time. Its made it harder to type though because of hand tremors, concentration helps a bit with studying though.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

most importantly are you jacket yet?

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

There are so many uneducated folks in this thread.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

yes

is this a troll post??

if we're talking about building muscle mass, im assuming you're talking about hypertrophy, and increasing load whether via intensity or volume is going to build mass. increasing intensity in a set range is not the only absolute way to put on mass.

bring the wisdom

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Fine, if you can now squat your previous 8rm for 10 reps you have gotten stronger. I did a widow maker with my previous 8rm today, I dun gotten stronger.

11. Khayembii Communique

Okay, so an extreme example then, why not just "build mass" by repping to failure every time and not increasing weights at all? Didn't we have this discussion about rep range a few pages ago? I'm not arguing with you here, I'm genuinely curious.

Also, I'm still curious about my other question. What's the point of changing your target rep range from 10 to 15, or 10 to 8, or at all really?

EDIT: This post sort of answers my question.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Rustled jimmies I sense in this threak

13. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

As with everything, it depends on your specific goals here. If your only goal is to increase strength, then low rep schemes are the way to go. This is why all the books that focus on "getting you bigger" will program sets of 1, 3, or 5. Even within this narrow goal, there is some value to varying rep schemes day to day.

1. Your body needs more than a day or two to fully recover from 1-rep max lifts. If you do a true 1-rep max squat or deadlift, you aren't going to be able to come back into the gym two days later and see any gains. More likely you won't even be able to repeat the 1-rep max until your body has recovered. Coming in and doing a lower weight/higher rep set allows you to keep lifting without pushing your body in quite the same way.

2. Believe it or not, getting stronger is about more than simply increasing muscle mass. The very low rep schemes are, as discussed, the most effective for increasing muscle mass. However, getting stronger also requires hormonal and neurological changes. When you start lifting heavy weights on a regular basis, certain hormone levels increase, and the efficiency of your body's ability to add muscle mass and provide energy to existing muscle increases. These gains are determined more by frequency than by how heavy your lifts are. Since, as discussed, you can't go to the gym and perform max lifts daily, there is benefit to mixing in lower weight/higher rep schemes. Will those 15 rep sets "make you stronger?" Not directly, but they will improve your performance on later 3x5 sets, which will in turn "make you stronger."

3. Technique. Most new lifters see strength gains happen very quickly without having to worry to much about technique. Good technique is about a) not getting injured, but is also about b) efficiency of movement. At some point, in order to keep lifting heavier and heavier weights, you will need good technique. It is incredibly difficult to improve technique while lifting the heaviest weight you possibly can for 1, 3, or 5 reps. Improving technique requires sub-maximal efforts, and a lot of time on the bar. This, again, drives one to mix in some lower weight, higher rep sets.

Lastly, even if your principal fitness goal is gaining strength or "getting bigger," you shouldn't limit yourself. Strength is one of many facets of good fitness. Stamina matters too, and will go to shit if you never lift for more than 5 reps.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

i never said increasing volume by only increasing reps was the only way to build mass, unlike you who asserted that increasing intensity was the only way to build mass. read what i posted: increasing load either via intensity or volume is going to build mass; only increasing one or the other is not the magic solution like you seem to think it is. its a pretty poor example to use and doesn't have any bearing on what i'm talking about.

i don't see how chariy's post does anything but invalidate what you're saying; furthermore, his argument for varying rep ranges having positive effects on other rep ranges (ie. widowmaker squat improving 1rm) answers your other question that you're so curious about. in the context of that book, perhaps the varying rep ranges is a way of regulating intensity and volume.

also, its a lifting book for women; if you want to sell copies of your book to women, prescribing straight strength training 3x5 squatting til you die is a great way to get ignored. in my experience, women get bored fast with set routines and aren't as likely to grind out something like SS; why do you think women's health, bootcamps, and 20 different cardio classes are so successful? im not saying there's no rhyme or reason to the programs that they wrote, but look at the context; not every woman wants to or can deadlift like their boyfriend.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

When I would never pull more the 1-3 reps I really didn't get any bigger. Now that most of my sets are 8-12 range im getting a lot more hypertrophy. Disagree that low reps are best for hypertrophy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-weight-training-steroids-ordered-online.html

Also how the fuck do you turn blue from steroids? Guessing this is standard daily mail hysteria seeing as they're saying DHEA is a steroid. Also srs does he even lift?