Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Thanks for taking a look. I had to go back and double check everything since you mentioned the high sodium, for some reason it counted my green beans having 1,100+ grams of sodium.. wtf they are plain frozen greanbeans and after checking the package it's of course 0mg of sodium. But still you are right I am sorta high, I'm guessing it was the tuna fish that made it so? All of my meals today were whole foods and I'm shocked to see that much in my total.

2. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

100posts/pg rocks, unless you open WAYRN or RFT or other image heavy threaks

Swiss ball crunches can be weighted, and help some save some people's backs. So yes.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

your spine isn't flat. it's curved. doing sit ups or crunches on the floor or incline bench doesn't activate your lower abs. swiss balls are one way to change this

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Why not use a weighted ab machine then?

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

not every gym has one? and still doesnt really do lower abs. also machines suck balls

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

this.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Lower abs...just do captain's chair + weighted planks and/or leg raises. I fail to see the issue. Also, deadlifts.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I did decline sit ups today, does that mean I'm a women now? Most women can't do hanging leg raises or ab roll outs.

I've put 27.5kg on my 8rm in 4 weeks. Hit 127.5kgx8, which was a 7.5kg PR since last week, 160kgx1 should be piss on thursday. I've been having consistent linear strength gains for like the last month, feels good man. Also did an 100kg widow maker. Knee sleeves feel really good, help my knees track better and makes squats more comfortable, everyone should wear them, can't think of a reason not too other then there a bit expensive. Also I did a massive fart at the gym, but I was wearing head phones so I don't know if it was silent or if everyones judging me. Other good thing about headphones is I can grunt really loudly, but I can't hear myself so I don't worry if im being too loud.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

why do separate exercises for lower abs when you can do them at once on a swiss ball. (although hanging leg raises and planks do everything)

i prefer doing what is basically an isometric workout on a roman chair, l-sits, or hanging leg raises. Sometimes I flirt with dragon flags and ab wheels.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Your slavish devotion to the rippletoad is what's blinding you to the fact that amazingly, there are alternate ways of getting fit.

I really don't feel like arguing with you about the merits of the book; as I'm not an on programming or nutrition expert. But then, it's pretty clear that neither are you.

From what I gathered, the program is designed to be easy to stick to in order to see the results the readers are after, not to be 100% efficient in its application with a "perfect" rep range/exercise mix (if that even exists).

It's not Starting Strength because Starting strength is starting strength. And most women aren't going to stay on SS for any length of time.

So either give it to your girlfriend or don't, I really don't give a fuck. My girlfriend liked it and looked good on it until she fucked up her knee while running and couldn't squat anymore. I recommend you don't be a paternalistic prick and let your girlfriend read it and decide for herself, as you are only marginally more informed than her.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

SS does not exactly produce aesthetic athletes, it makes fat ones with huge legs. Not like ripple tits is a heavenly blessed beauty/10

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Also, it's boring as fuck to do the same four lifts ad nauseum. The only reason I stay interested in my workout routine is because I do other aerobic exercise (football, basketball, tennis) throughout the week. Are isolation lifts going to be as broadly effective as big compound lifts? No, but if it keeps you interested in working out instead of doing cardio to get in shape, that's a victory.

Keep in mind KC is the guy that's been cutting weight for about 8 months now, so I wouldn't trust anything he has to say on the subject.

13. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I don't have slavish devotion to Rippetoe. Like I already said, these are legitimate questions and I'm genuinely curious. Isn't the only way to increase muscle mass to actually, you know, increase your weights? Doesn't increasing reps only improve "muscle endurance" or whatever and not muscle mass?

Why can't you answer my questions without being such a bitch?

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Increasing volume is progress. Being able to handle the same weight for more reps is you getting stronger.

Also, I'm pretty sure the weight isn't staying the same for those 6 weeks.

This program is like the Macbook of programs. It's probably good for what most people need and its fun. Sure you'll probably be great and more efficient and whatever if you run linux on a computer you build yourself, but like, that's a pain in the ass and most people aren't going to deal with that.

SS sucks if you don't have a coach and tracking calories at a defect is a pain in the ass. "Follow this meal program and do this workout" will work, despite the fact that it's not "SQUAT ERRY DAY INCREASING WEIGHT ERRY WORKOUT"

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

this is up there with "help guys how do i boosted metabolism"

yes, the only possible way of increasing muscle mass is working inside of the magic rep range. if you even consider doing an extra rep, boom. no increase in muscle mass. science, bro.