Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

The single leg Romanian deadlift is a fringe lift, but definitely has some usefulness. It isn't going to directly improve strength much, but should increase your balance, coordination, and mobility. Beyond the inherent value of improving these areas of your fitness, increased balance, coordination and mobility should help to improve your major lifts (squats/deadlifts/c&j/etc).

Does this mean single leg Romanian deadlifts are a significant part of my programming? No, but they are worth throwing in every once in a while.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

1000th page of peace

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

in4page1000

Been out of the country for the last couple weeks... lower body strength wasn't affected but upper seemed to have gotten quite weak.

Also had a pair of the Rogue Do-Wins waiting for me on my desk at work when I got back. Can't squat for shit, but they were $119 shipped... so who gives a fuck? People buy $300 sneakers on this site all day long. They're nicer than I was expecting, but they're definitely made for people with fat feet.

This shit had me rolling. You so crazy, fuji

4. gort

gort Senior member

You guys should fix your settings. It's only page 150.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

100 posts/page ftw

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

This is how a rationalised my inzer belt. I dropped like $180 on a skinny little piece of leather, which faded into suede because it had margiela on it and god knows how much on a RLPL crocodile belt. I can spend $80 on a 13mm thick 4" wide inzer belt.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

bodybugg + kitchen scale has revolutionized my caloric intake. Night and day.

9. knucks

knucks Senior member

A lot of athletes perform the single leg deadlift - it helps with hip stability, core stability (anti rotational).

Give them a try, I'm sure you can't do it properly with a 20lb dumbbell.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ok so here's the breakdown of my day. This was a training day. Much appreciation for looking at this. I weigh 170lbs for reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Okay I laid into the nutrition section, let me get a little more in depth on the lifting program they have in this book. So for "Stage 1" - the first 6 weeks of lifting - it alternates between two workouts, which are as follows:

Workout A
    Squat
    Push-up/Seated Row (superset)
    Step-up/Prone jackknife (superset)

Workout B
    Deadlift
    DB Shoulder press/wide-grip lat pulldown (superset)
    Lunge/swiss-ball crunch (superset)

Okay, so squat is good. Push-up? A bodyweight exercise in which they offer no explanation for how to weight up, leading me to assume they don't want you to. What's that all about? Same thing for the prone jackknife. Crunches? Really? What's that all about?

Also, what's up with the swiss ball exercises? Would anyone here seriously recommend swiss ball workouts to guys?

Next, the rep scheme is all wacky. For example, every lift but the prone jackknife in Workout A has a rep scheme of:

Workouts 1-2: 2 sets 15
    Workouts 3-4: 2 sets 12
    Workouts 5-6: 3 sets 10
    Workouts 7-8: 3 sets 8

Why is it such a ridiculously high rep range? Why not squat 3x5 instead of all this nonsense? Why would you want to work up your rep count? Don't you want to build muscle by working up your weight and leaving your rep count relatively low?

These are serious questions, BTW, I'm not just trying to hate.

12. APK

APK Senior member

Not even getting into the specific food, that seems like a lot of calories at your weight for someone who wants to drop some fat/weight. I know there are different schools of thought here, but if you're familiar at all with John over at IA, he favors zig-zagging calories for fat loss. And I can tell you that even on training days, he wouldn't have your calories anywhere near what you've got here if fat loss is what you're aiming for now. Again, I know there are different schools of thought on this, but the proof is kind of in the pudding that the above methods work for most people if you've seen the numerous testimonials from John's clients who utilized his diet plan.

13. APK

APK Senior member

Coldsnap:

Upon closer inspection, it seems like you could probably scale back on the sugar and sodium. You've got a lot of sugar packed in there and not necessarily from great sources (e.g. M&M's, jelly, whole milk). Again, I'm working under the assumption that you're trying to drop some fat and maybe having some difficulty with it.

Also, you're taking in an assfuckload of sodium. I'd be curious to see what happens if you reduced by at least a couple thousand milligrams. We had the whole salt debate a couple weeks back. Some people can handle it, but I bloat like crazy if I don't keep tabs on my sodium intake. I want to say that when I've got everything dialed in, I don't exceed 2,000mg/day and the actual number is probably closer to 1,500.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

good job for tracking it, continue to do so. dont do anything crazy like cut out 2000 calories in a day just because you logged it and felt guilty. see what happens after a week and you'll have a good idea of where to start.

then... pick a course, and stick with it. dont flip flop.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

potassium off sets sodium intake. eat vegetables.