1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random food thoughts - Street edition

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by i01111000, May 12, 2013.

1. g transistor

g transistor Distinguished Member

I have only had pho in the countryside and Saigon, both were really good. Countryside of course you get fewer "premium" ingredients like beef, but it is great how people manage to get around the lack of meat with good usage of aromatics and herbs and other stuff. One of my most vivid memories when I was younger was always going out at night to buy these sweet barbecue meat skewers at the market. Jesus Christ they were so good. Take me with you nn

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Sounds like this would ring true for any sort of diaspora. Pretty sure cooking in India is exactly like this, where different regions cook things slightly differently. I'm not referring to the gigantic north vs south food difference either. Places with a more mughal/muslim influence will cook things differently etc. It's all freaking amazing though.

I miss street food in New Delhi, the risk of Delhi Belly is fucking worth it.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Distinguished Member

I've eaten at Mama's.. didn't think it was particularly good pho. Prefer San Jose spots.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

Never eaten good pho up here, personally, but FWIW, all the good pho restaurants in Garden Grove are either 1) names you can't pronounce unless you're Vietnamese, or 2) restaurants that are simply the word pho and then some number. Like Pho 27, Pho 48, Pho 81. It's literally like how Vietnamese people choose their Gmail account names.

5. nicelynice

nicelynice Distinguished Member

Too much pho talk, can't take it, just bought tickets to Ho Chi Minh City after I saw how cheap they were
    Got so excited I swallowed a cherry pit
    Gonna take a nap now
    Ahh, I love Mondays

6. diniro

diniro Senior Member

Pho in the state tastes better than Vietnam IMO, probably because of the mentioned lack of premium ingredients. I've only been back once in 2004, though. Had pho in HCMC/Saigon and Da Lat. Never been to the north.

7. ridethecliche

I love pho, but it's too hot to even think about it here. Go to food for me from fall through spring though. Chinatown in boston is pretty good with it as well.

8. dieworkwear

Are you asking us to get the pho outta here?

9. ridethecliche

Hahahha. Nahhh. Keep it coming.

I just can't imagine eating it right now.

I also can't imagine eating heavy Indian food right now.

10. g transistor

g transistor Distinguished Member

I can definitely see that, especially if you've grown up in the states and are used to having your pho filled with different cuts of beef, meatballs, and all types of fresh, crunchy greens/sprouts to top it. Vietnamese food is pretty austere and often uses less "tasty" cuts of meat as well as more bony fish out of necessity, really. It has long been a very poor country, but it still amazes me how good the food is considering quality of ingredients, and it blows my mind some of the genius of some of the culinary combinations (canh chua ca loc, sweet, sour, fruity, and spicy all at the same time) . I'd say the majority of the restaurants in Vietnam, unless you're paying premium prices, do not use first quality ingredients, whereas my experience in working at restaurants in America, ingredients are actually pretty good even at lower tiers of pricing.

Da Lat is absolutely beautiful. My fondest memory of food in Vietnam was eating plates and plates of mi xao muc, fresh from the sea in Nha Trang. I miss it so much, but every time I go back I'm painfully aware of how tenuous my grasp on my culture and language is becoming as I get older, and I always leave very sad.

RFT: have a VIsvim lhamo on the way. Sometimes I don't know why I want to dress way more Asian than I should.

11. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Distinguished Member

Toughen up whiteboi

12. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Which ones would you recommend? Have had about 10 or so and haven't really found one I like as much as Milpitas and San Jose ones

Also any place with good bun bo hue?

Damn I was 13 ten years ago, Geoff Rowley vans always

I started 2011 probably to get into stuff, still wear a few Gitmans from back then now. Also still wear two quoddies from then on a pretty regular basis with one resole on each pair

13. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

pho is the best hangover chaser. true story.

14. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior Member

[​IMG]

15. dieworkwear

I actually left Garden Grove as a teen and haven't been back much in twenty plus years. The general rule though is to avoid places that look like the boba tea equivalents of Vietnamese restaurants. The few times I've been back, I've noticed more places catering to a younger crowd, and those seem to serve less tasty food. Honestly, growing up, all the best places were restaurants with hard to pronounce Vietnamese names, or places named "Pho" and then some number.