1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random food thoughts - Street edition

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by i01111000, May 12, 2013.

1. diniro

diniro Senior member

Pho in the state tastes better than Vietnam IMO, probably because of the mentioned lack of premium ingredients. I've only been back once in 2004, though. Had pho in HCMC/Saigon and Da Lat. Never been to the north.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I love pho, but it's too hot to even think about it here. Go to food for me from fall through spring though. Chinatown in boston is pretty good with it as well.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Are you asking us to get the pho outta here?

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Hahahha. Nahhh. Keep it coming.

I just can't imagine eating it right now.

I also can't imagine eating heavy Indian food right now.

5. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I can definitely see that, especially if you've grown up in the states and are used to having your pho filled with different cuts of beef, meatballs, and all types of fresh, crunchy greens/sprouts to top it. Vietnamese food is pretty austere and often uses less "tasty" cuts of meat as well as more bony fish out of necessity, really. It has long been a very poor country, but it still amazes me how good the food is considering quality of ingredients, and it blows my mind some of the genius of some of the culinary combinations (canh chua ca loc, sweet, sour, fruity, and spicy all at the same time) . I'd say the majority of the restaurants in Vietnam, unless you're paying premium prices, do not use first quality ingredients, whereas my experience in working at restaurants in America, ingredients are actually pretty good even at lower tiers of pricing.

Da Lat is absolutely beautiful. My fondest memory of food in Vietnam was eating plates and plates of mi xao muc, fresh from the sea in Nha Trang. I miss it so much, but every time I go back I'm painfully aware of how tenuous my grasp on my culture and language is becoming as I get older, and I always leave very sad.

RFT: have a VIsvim lhamo on the way. Sometimes I don't know why I want to dress way more Asian than I should.

3 people like this.
  6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Toughen up whiteboi

2 people like this.
  7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Which ones would you recommend? Have had about 10 or so and haven't really found one I like as much as Milpitas and San Jose ones

Also any place with good bun bo hue?

Damn I was 13 ten years ago, Geoff Rowley vans always

I started 2011 probably to get into stuff, still wear a few Gitmans from back then now. Also still wear two quoddies from then on a pretty regular basis with one resole on each pair

8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

pho is the best hangover chaser. true story.

5 people like this.
  9. 3 Prague Winters

3 Prague Winters Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I actually left Garden Grove as a teen and haven't been back much in twenty plus years. The general rule though is to avoid places that look like the boba tea equivalents of Vietnamese restaurants. The few times I've been back, I've noticed more places catering to a younger crowd, and those seem to serve less tasty food. Honestly, growing up, all the best places were restaurants with hard to pronounce Vietnamese names, or places named "Pho" and then some number.

11. TheObserver

TheObserver Senior member

FWIW, Pho' origin is from the North of VN, so the best place to have Pho in Vietnam is Hanoi. The taste will vary slightly or even vastly for various provinces, but Hanoi is the most "authentic".

Btw, most Pho restaurants in the State are owned by people from the South and don't taste that good IMO. The best Pho I've had is Pho Quang Trung in Garden Grove. The portion is huge for the price and they make pho in northern style. Tip : Hanoi style don't have Pho with bean sprouts and salad.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah.. I like Locanda. I think it's loosely Roman as in they have squash blossoms and guanciale and other traditonal Roman things. I definitely go for the grilled meats and fish. They use a cherry wood grill that makes pretty much anything taste amazing. also pretty good cocktails.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that it's more the style of cooking meats and the "rustic" nature of the meal. That time we went, everything was good. Also, the comped wine.

BTW, I moved all the food posts over here so that @Find Finn , who apparently hates tasty stuff, won't get offended by our talking about good ways to stuff our maws. Did you guys check out the photos of some meals I had in Lyon, btw? Love going to food cities. The best sights are those on the table in front of you, waiting to be consumed.

1 person likes this.
  14. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

This is a deal breaker for me. I think Vietnamese food does best when combining many different flavors and textures to overcome bland cuts, and the best pho has multiple cuts of beef, different herbs, and sprouts and salad. Of course, the best way to serve is to have all the extras in the middle for a pick your own adventure experience!

15. colabear

colabear Senior member

I luv this with a sprinkle of chili powder and elotes from the street vendor. Afterwards, I poopoo so good.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Whatever. Cantonese food is the best Asian food anyway

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Not a fan of Cantonese cuisine at all. Sichuan for life.

18. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Ramen > pho for all noodle soup requirements.

It's winter here, which means soups and roasts.

2 people like this.
  19. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

[​IMG]

20. colonelrascals

colonelrascals Member

If you need any food recs just holler