• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
My dad is a microbiologist, and he scared me off of eating rare hamburger. Try as a I might, all I can think of when I see that pink is "microaerophilic environment." Thanks, dad!

0JSIMPS0N

Reaction score

Burgers should be done on the griddle. They should never be cooked past medium rare. They do not take long to make and only require salt and pepper if you use quality beef.

if you use quality beef you dont require salt and pepper

Kbar

Reaction score
Getting back to burgers, here is what I like doing

adding a little butter to the beef mix adds a nice flavor/texture. I started using this Italian Buffalo milk butter. a little more rustic and less "greasy" in flavor.
I usually let the meat* sit for about half hour to an hour at room temperature before cooking.

As far as seasoning unless you are able to cook at really high heat (broiler, or burning hot cast iron) most seasoning will hurt the taste, or in case of salt, bring out the liquids. I always use a flat surface for cooking, so the burger stays in its juices. (grill like pans should be avoided)

I prefer to use bacon/ duck fat for cooking, or fat from pancetta. Other alternatives are grape seed oil, high quality corn oil, or slightly blended avocado oil (add some light olive oil to it)

Get a nice brown on the outside so it seals the juices. Then in a small dish add a little butter with the seasoning of your choice and melt in the microwave.
drip a little on the browned side, let the other size cook, flip and pour on the "unseasoned" side, let settle for few seconds and flip again for few seconds.

for the buns/bread- spread a thin layer of mayo (very thin) and coat with a your choice of a grated cheese. grill for a few seconds with w.e butter mix left
toss a squirt of water on the pan and quickly cover with a bowl to steam the bun.

* I like using lower fat meat mixture like 90-93, so the added butter/fat wont create something terribly unhealthy.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the question is whether cooking on a griddle will consistently produce a better burger than sous vide. Unless you weigh each patty and form a similar shape each time and then time it while it cooks on the same temperature every time, sous vide is a superior method. Sous vide is a superior method for any protein if your aim is cooking the same thing every time at the internal temperature you want.

Also browning doesnt seal in juices. **** is old news. More moisture is lost when meat is browned than when it is not. Old wives tale.

Grills are superior because the juices that fall below become smoke and provide that meaty char smoke flavor. Griddles dont do this. Myrvold wrote an article on this when his book was published a year or two ago

The only counter argument i see is that sous vide makes uniform texture while griddle makes more of a gradient. Which you can still compensate with sous vide by setting the temperature of the water bath and griddle lower

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if you use quality beef you dont require salt and pepper

Oh god.

Salting denatures proteins in and on the cells on the surface of the meat which creates a matrix less permeable to water trapping moisture inside. The water you see is just from the surface cells. Internal cells maintain greater moisture.

You need salt. Maybe not pepper but salted meat is superior to raw meat. Flavor and moisture wise.

Last edited:

LPatterson

Reaction score
Gonna fly into Chicago for a few days in September to see Sigur Ros. I'll be staying near the Auditorium Building with no rental car. Can anyone give me some good restaurant recs in the area?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Griddles create a better crust than grills.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about a better crust. They can both make good crusts. Grill marks are pleasing to look at at and grills provide better flavor.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh god.

Salting denatures proteins in and on the cells on the surface of the meat which creates a matrix less permeable to water trapping moisture inside. The water you see is just from the surface cells. Internal cells maintain greater moisture.

You need salt. Maybe not pepper but salted meat is superior to raw meat. Flavor and moisture wise.

Just make sure you salt right when it's going on the grill/griddle and not much before, since salt breaks down the proteins of the meat and "ruins" the texture
Griddles create a better crust than grills.
I don't know about a better crust. They can both make good crusts. Grill marks are pleasing to look at at and grills provide better flavor.

Fryers give the best crust
or blowtorches
or flamethrowers
or volcanos
or hell

what I'm saying is just that "what gives the best crust" is probably the most subjective question when it comes to hamburgers
sly.gif

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just make sure you salt right when it's going on the grill/griddle and not much before, since salt breaks down the proteins of the meat and "ruins" the texture

You do know salt is used to sure meat, right?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do know salt is used to sure meat, right?

I'm talking burgers now, not steaks.
If you salt minced meat ahead of when you're cooking the burgers, or work the salt in (by kneading) it breaks down the proteins and turns the burger from a tender stack of fibres into a "consistent"(probably not the right word but hopefully you get what I mean) piece of meat similar to the pre-made burgers you can buy at grocery-stores, which really isn't something you want to do to your meat when making burgers.
With steaks it's a whole other matter since the meat is already "consistent" and so the salt just dries it out, without ruining it :)

If I had a sausage grinder, I'd try out the Heston Blumenthal method. anyone done this?

Haven't tried it myself, but everyone I've read about who have tried it say that while the result certainly isn't bad, it just isn't worth the extra work

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads