Random food thoughts - Street edition

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by i01111000, May 12, 2013.

1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

My dad is a microbiologist, and he scared me off of eating rare hamburger. Try as a I might, all I can think of when I see that pink is "microaerophilic environment." Thanks, dad!

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

Maybe :foo: can get in this threak and drive it to 12 pages about how to cook a hamburger.

3. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

if you use quality beef you dont require salt and pepper

4. 1969

1969 Senior member

On another (better) topic, I'm going to start making my own corn and flour tortillas tonight. I'm starting with Maseca but may look for fresh harisa this weekend. I have a few pints of lard as well so my flour tortillas should be good right off the bat.

5. Kbar

Kbar New Member

Getting back to burgers, here is what I like doing

adding a little butter to the beef mix adds a nice flavor/texture. I started using this Italian Buffalo milk butter. a little more rustic and less "greasy" in flavor.
    I usually let the meat* sit for about half hour to an hour at room temperature before cooking.

As far as seasoning unless you are able to cook at really high heat (broiler, or burning hot cast iron) most seasoning will hurt the taste, or in case of salt, bring out the liquids. I always use a flat surface for cooking, so the burger stays in its juices. (grill like pans should be avoided)

I prefer to use bacon/ duck fat for cooking, or fat from pancetta. Other alternatives are grape seed oil, high quality corn oil, or slightly blended avocado oil (add some light olive oil to it)

Get a nice brown on the outside so it seals the juices. Then in a small dish add a little butter with the seasoning of your choice and melt in the microwave.
    drip a little on the browned side, let the other size cook, flip and pour on the "unseasoned" side, let settle for few seconds and flip again for few seconds.

for the buns/bread- spread a thin layer of mayo (very thin) and coat with a your choice of a grated cheese. grill for a few seconds with w.e butter mix left
    toss a squirt of water on the pan and quickly cover with a bowl to steam the bun.

* I like using lower fat meat mixture like 90-93, so the added butter/fat wont create something terribly unhealthy.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the question is whether cooking on a griddle will consistently produce a better burger than sous vide. Unless you weigh each patty and form a similar shape each time and then time it while it cooks on the same temperature every time, sous vide is a superior method. Sous vide is a superior method for any protein if your aim is cooking the same thing every time at the internal temperature you want.

Also browning doesnt seal in juices. Shit is old news. More moisture is lost when meat is browned than when it is not. Old wives tale.

Grills are superior because the juices that fall below become smoke and provide that meaty char smoke flavor. Griddles dont do this. Myrvold wrote an article on this when his book was published a year or two ago

The only counter argument i see is that sous vide makes uniform texture while griddle makes more of a gradient. Which you can still compensate with sous vide by setting the temperature of the water bath and griddle lower

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Oh god.

Salting denatures proteins in and on the cells on the surface of the meat which creates a matrix less permeable to water trapping moisture inside. The water you see is just from the surface cells. Internal cells maintain greater moisture.

You need salt. Maybe not pepper but salted meat is superior to raw meat. Flavor and moisture wise.

8. LPatterson

LPatterson Senior member

Gonna fly into Chicago for a few days in September to see Sigur Ros. I'll be staying near the Auditorium Building with no rental car. Can anyone give me some good restaurant recs in the area?

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Griddles create a better crust than grills.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't know about a better crust. They can both make good crusts. Grill marks are pleasing to look at at and grills provide better flavor.

12. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Just make sure you salt right when it's going on the grill/griddle and not much before, since salt breaks down the proteins of the meat and "ruins" the texture
    Fryers give the best crust
    or blowtorches
    or flamethrowers
    or volcanos
    or hell

what I'm saying is just that "what gives the best crust" is probably the most subjective question when it comes to hamburgers [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You do know salt is used to sure meat, right?

14. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

I'm talking burgers now, not steaks.
    If you salt minced meat ahead of when you're cooking the burgers, or work the salt in (by kneading) it breaks down the proteins and turns the burger from a tender stack of fibres into a "consistent"(probably not the right word but hopefully you get what I mean) piece of meat similar to the pre-made burgers you can buy at grocery-stores, which really isn't something you want to do to your meat when making burgers.
    With steaks it's a whole other matter since the meat is already "consistent" and so the salt just dries it out, without ruining it :)

Haven't tried it myself, but everyone I've read about who have tried it say that while the result certainly isn't bad, it just isn't worth the extra work

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013