• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

bullrams

Reaction score

I was mostly kidding, but I would just call it chicken stock or chicken broth.
"Bone broth" is the new hipster terminlogy for people who want to upsell it as fancy artisanal food and/or portray it as some sort of innovative, miracle "bio-hack".

haha! Got it, I'd rather stick to the old terminology -- chicken broth.

All good ideas. I think you need a combination of bones with a little meat, ie chicken carcasses if you can find them. Bones from a roast chicken give a deeper earthier flavor that lends itself well to certain kinds of darker flavored soups. Fresh bones though are wonderful for a multitude of things, parsley is a good add to the pot along with carrots and onion. Biggest single factor for a well flavored stock is the use of a pressure cooker. 20 min at pressure and you're done, nice clear deeply flavored broth. Thanks to Iammatt for this one.

Thank you. I used the slow electric cooker, threw in the carcass with heart, liver etc, 2 chopped celery sticks and half an onion -- left it at medium for 6 hours. Delicious!

I was having it every evening after work straight -- nectar of the gods.

As manton (rip in peace :( ) would tell you slice and onion in half burn the cut part and then add it to the stock as it's cooking.

Thanks. Did the classic style with just onion and celery.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Because most people are enjoying wine with a friend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Because most people are enjoying wine with a friend.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Anyone try the Momofuku Impossible burger yet that bleeds? Thoughts

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone try the Momofuku Impossible burger yet that bleeds? Thoughts

posted this elsewhere:

I'm what you'd call a flexitarian--I avoid cooking/eating meat but I cannot claim to be strict about it. I made this change in November of last year so I haven't completely forgotten the taste of meat but I definitely have reduced its place in my diet. So that's the perspective in coming from.

Overall, I'd give it a solid B. Chang loves making references to other food memories and it's pretty obvious he's recreating a Big Mac, depressing unmelted American cheese and all. The patty tastes a little weird if you take a piece of it on its own, but in-burger it does a remarkable job of recreating the experience of beef. It's definitely more burger-like than the other popular meatless options in the city (by chloe, shroom burger at shake shack, superiority burger), and it goes remarkably well with his ssam sauce (more so than the fuku sandwich). Fries were pretty good as well (comparable to Burger King)

Given that Nishi is probably going to be mobbed for a while, i don't expect it to become a regular part of my diet unless the place gets a little less crazy. OTOH the strict vegans I befriended on line were losing their ****.

I could see the beef working in tacos and chilli, and others well seasoned dishes, or shake shack/in and out style burgers but I'm not sure I could see it replacing a pub burger. I'm definitely looking forward to when the ingredient becomes liberated from Changistan and other chefs can take a crack at it (an impossible beef bolognese is my dream)
All that being said, I drunkenly got a Roquefort burger last night from the spotted pig and this doesn't even come close. Then again that's one of the burgers I've ever had, so that's possibly an unfair comparison.

If you wanna check it out, head there maybe 20-30 min before it opens and you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HURDURDURURURURURUR Piob.

What's the appeal to it? It doesn't taste good to me, it's an unpleasant mouthfeel... I'm only getting into wine now and I don't know how far down the rabbit hole I will go.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Go to a decent wine store, and if the help seems knowledgeable, get a bone dry Mosel Riesling with minerality.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Go to a decent wine store, and if the help seems knowledgeable, get a bone dry Mosel Riesling with minerality.

how bout you ship me one from your cellar.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hurr durr?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads