• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, of course this is not authentic italian cuisine, but our friend ed is still refining his taste
Cornetti e tutti colazioni italiano=male.

Seriously for how good Italian cuisine is I'm routinely shocked by how bad Italian breakfast is. I suppose it's just to save room for later in the day but still.

Thanks guys i don't know ehy but i really have it in me right now to jar some tomato sauce.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italian breakfast is not that much substantial but iper sugarish.
Yet we use to eat much more than anglo-saxons at noon.
I sincerely could not say which way is healthier

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Italian breakfast is not that much substantial but iper sugarish.
Yet we use to eat much more than anglo-saxons at noon.
I sincerely could not say which way is healthier
Come se dice: six in one hand half a dozen in the other.

Yeah I'm more of a savory guy anyway and i was just like: it's all cookies and bad croissants.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a good source or brand for dark chocolate, around 80-85% seems to be the sweet spot for me. With our without almonds. Preferably vegan or non-diary.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a good source or brand for dark chocolate, around 80-85% seems to be the sweet spot for me. With our without almonds. Preferably vegan or non-diary.
Valrhona. Xocolatl is good and they ship.

So I'm bingeing Top Chef. Do chefs when they work in restaurants have to bring all their knives and stuff with them to work every day? What sort of hand tools are generally provided by a kitchen, if any? Is there a standard expectation of what you should have?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of chefs/cooks have their own knives. Pretty much everything else is provided on site. Knives are provided as well, but they’re generally not very nice.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Global%20cuisine%20grid-01.png

Why the hate for Peruvian food? It's one of my favorites.

Mannion

Reaction score
Why the hate for Peruvian food? It's one of my favorites.
A few of the ones at 50% or below are really good. British cuisine would IMO be higher if it weren't for the fact that a lot of British chefs are simply not very good at cooking.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any wines for ~50ish that could be cellerable for years? I suppose I'd like to start a collection of some sort. I have a few bottles that need two or three years according to the internet but I'm looking for something that I can open up in 15 to 20.

Twenty years is hard on wine to my taste. I hate committing vinfanticide, and think that a lot of cheap wine is consumed too young, but even the better wine I am drinking these days is hitting its stride for my taste closer to 15 years. I think that is perfectly doable at $50. Mind you, I am largely an old-world wine guy, but picks like Chateau Gloria, Coutet, and heck, the Wine Library has a presale on Ch. Pegau for $50 (Pegau is one of the best Chateauneufs). Some Barolos and the occasional Brunello in that price range also. Grand Reserva Rioja. Burg and Hermitage are a trifle more challenging at $50 in my experience, for something that will last that long. When you are looking to age, you have to be concerned about the vintage. A crappy vintage won't survive. Get yourself a copy of Kevin Zraly's book. He provides information on the price ranges of wines, generally, which is helpful.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a gooood recipe for beef lasagna? I never made it before.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hazan (but just use beef rather than the blend she uses in her bolognese recipe)

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like using pounded beef instead of noodles?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or do use the blend from Marcella's bolognese recipe...it has a bit of pork and maybe some veal. It is good with just beef, but better with some pork fat in there.

I realize now you probably meant beef as an alternative to something like a spinach and ricotta lasagna and not that you wanted exclusively beef.

And I believe she used white wine but a lot of transcriptions of her recipe online switch it to red. This one looks about right with that exception (and I agree with the suggestion to just make extra bolognese... No sense spending all that time for only 1 serving) http://oneoldstove.com/?p=450

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's always Babish or Weissman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads