• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
grillinfool does
redface.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Doesn't anybody just grill any more?
Thats's barbaric! Seriously, i would if i had a nice coal grill but im in an apartment.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Doesn't anybody just grill any more?

[sigh] me. i keep looking at those things and remembering the early days of the microwave (yes, i'm that old). if they get it down to where the whole package is $250 to $300, maybe I'll consider.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
[sigh] me. i keep looking at those things and remembering the early days of the microwave (yes, i'm that old). if they get it down to where the whole package is $250 to $300, maybe I'll consider.

Or build your own. I'd build you one if you pay for the materials, only $75 total. I owe ya one from the books anyway.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Probably some of both.

But the real things are pretty inexpensive, around ~$100, I wouldn't take the chance.

kwilk: 1 me: 0

bought a thift store sealer for $5 yesterday, bought a roll of bags from target, get it home...and it doesn't work. It has suction on the accessory line...so I will try to fix it. It is an off-brand though...I will try again if I see a real used foodsaver...but after that I am going to have to pay closer to retail price.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Or build your own. I'd build you one if you pay for the materials, only $75 total. I owe ya one from the books anyway.

did you use the 3xnorpro heaters? With the likelyhood of at least one of them failing eventually, I am thinking about finding a better heating element (and I will rig it with the controls in a separate box with outlets so I can also use it if I want to build a DIY smoker).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the price of the machines will drop significantly over the next year or so.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
did you use the 3xnorpro heaters? With the likelyhood of at least one of them failing eventually, I am thinking about finding a better heating element (and I will rig it with the controls in a separate box with outlets so I can also use it if I want to build a DIY smoker).

I am so incredibly technically uninclined, that this is like reading German to me. I just bought everything it told me to and did exactly what it told me to. I'm still not certain how it works. But it does. Hopefully it doesn't kill me someday. But if it does, I suppose there are worse ways to go.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I put one on my registry less for the novelty and more because I can't have a grill, I don't like to pan sear in the apartment too often, my oven sucks for temperature consistency, and my stove is 24" so space is limited. I figure it'll give me a broader scope of cooking methods I could use, and as Matt pointed out to me a while ago, something that gets consistent results and is good for entertaining.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O believe me, sous vide is THE way to cook if you live in an apartment. Unless you live in a pretty high end place, you are not going to have good ventilation. Cooking on high direct heat in an apartment sucks. All of your **** smells for days. I think with the cooking boom, sous vide is going to become popular among younger people purely for that reason.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^

right. I do have ok ventilation (better than a lot though far from high end), but I still don't like to use the stove for high heat stuff with guests around. Or even without guests but I still do. That one time I experimented with grilled sardines?? Not so good.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
O believe me, sous vide is THE way to cook if you live in an apartment. Unless you live in a pretty high end place, you are not going to have good ventilation. Cooking on high direct heat in an apartment sucks. All of your **** smells for days. I think with the cooking boom, sous vide is going to become popular among younger people purely for that reason.

i spent more on my hood vent than i did on my stove. makes all the difference in teh world.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

This is exactly why I want it although I hadn't quite formed it into such a succinct opinion.

Even pan frying a chicken breast has a pretty big effect in my apartment. It is not large and is basically an open plan. With no hood to vent outside, the smells make it throughout everything except the bathroom and bedroom (which have real doorways located far from the kitchen).

If it were an old-style chicago 2-3br apartment layout (with all rooms coming off one long hall and the kitchen at the far end), this wouldn't be an issue but depending what I cook...it sucks to not have exhaust (at least the layer of oil that coats the top of cupboards between cleanings seems to confine itself to the kitchen).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My hood sucks, or rather doesn't, and it was expensive. I want a new one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads