Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

+1 to Piob's post.

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

He doesnt use a website- I can give you his email, and he sends out newletters with offers like FP . His blog/tasting notes are at http://rockssandfruit.blogspot.com/

He specializes in small, off the beaten path producers that arent well known in the US. (Used to be the wine buyer for Chambers St and Grapes in NY)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

4. edinatlanta

Has anyone looked at the sustainability of farmer's markets?

Intuitively it seems that long-term they are not financially viable. The amount of money these kombucha producers spend to sell stuff they make in their basement must be absurd for what? Pennies on the dollar in addition to a real job?

Environmentally I'm dubious that these really reduce environmental impacts other than, say, the guy who forages (allegedly) and sells that.

To say nothing of the fact that often you are spending $8 for the privilege of just-decent produce and you still have to go to the store.

5. edinatlanta

Also I'm looking for a semi-sweet but also semi-savory granola recipe.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Financially viable for who? Markets differ, of course, so don't go all suited/medwed "the left" on us.
    At the better farmer's markets here you can get stuff you can't easily get in stores, and often fresher/better quality stuff. There's one in particular that local chefs frequent on a weekly basis for just that reason.
    There are also lame farmers' markets that pretty much fit your description have petting zoos, creepy balloon twisters and crystal sellers. But apparently people buy enough of that stuff for the vendors to keep coming back.

7. edinatlanta

For whom, artard.

I mean, in Atlanta there's a lot of community farms and other stuff that are non-profits and a few bigger farms that do regional wholesale (basically Whole-Foods-level not Albertson's/Publix-level) so those guys are OK. I just... I dunno. I don't know how many people's pet projects or super-super-small farmers can be sustained. Or want to continue putting in the hours to make it work.

8. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

looking to buy a new saucepan / saucier (I moved and don't have any right now). Somehow the prices for AC SS saucier is same as the copper core windsor saucepan:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZR4C08/?tag=se-equipment-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AT1NVK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ITXWVNY4QNWA&colid=251KBRYGVCA52

any advice/opinions on which one is "better"? or should I just get a normal straight sided saucepan?

I've read some previous posts and seems like most people don't find much difference between the AC copper core and cladded stainless. But if they're the same price...

9. otc

otc Senior member

Can you wait for one of those seconds sales on Slickdeals? I paid like 80 for my 3qt TK saucepan (came with a lid even though tk series pans normally do not).

Real nice pan. I also got a 1.5qt and I really notice a difference compared to my old cheap 1qt pan which had issues with scorching on the sides due to being smaller than the heating surface. No such issues at all with the copper cored pan.

10. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

@otc Thanks for the tip, just signed up for Slickdeals. Seems like these sales are semi-frequent so I'll wait a bit. Now I'm jealous of the great deals you got on the TK pans

11. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

this has been discussed before, but I want to get a wood cutting board (just don't like the feel of plastic)
    I was going to get a Boos 1.5" thick edge grain board, but lots of amazon reviews complain about splitting. Are they just not oiling properly or what?
    Are the newer Teak boards better for avoiding splitting?

12. edinatlanta

I have a couple of five/six-year-old bottles of wine. I found one website that rated the 2011 an 81 when it first came out with not-so-glowing reviews. Nothing on the '12 (a Burgundy fwiw).

With that in mind, is there any sort of guideline or principle to tell how/if the wines have improved and when to drink them? I'm not expecting much: they were almost assuredly brought over for a party and picked up at Publix or wherever on the way.