Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

+1 to Piob's post.

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

He doesnt use a website- I can give you his email, and he sends out newletters with offers like FP . His blog/tasting notes are at http://rockssandfruit.blogspot.com/

He specializes in small, off the beaten path producers that arent well known in the US. (Used to be the wine buyer for Chambers St and Grapes in NY)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

4. edinatlanta

Has anyone looked at the sustainability of farmer's markets?

Intuitively it seems that long-term they are not financially viable. The amount of money these kombucha producers spend to sell stuff they make in their basement must be absurd for what? Pennies on the dollar in addition to a real job?

Environmentally I'm dubious that these really reduce environmental impacts other than, say, the guy who forages (allegedly) and sells that.

To say nothing of the fact that often you are spending $8 for the privilege of just-decent produce and you still have to go to the store.

5. edinatlanta

Also I'm looking for a semi-sweet but also semi-savory granola recipe.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Financially viable for who? Markets differ, of course, so don't go all suited/medwed "the left" on us.
    At the better farmer's markets here you can get stuff you can't easily get in stores, and often fresher/better quality stuff. There's one in particular that local chefs frequent on a weekly basis for just that reason.
    There are also lame farmers' markets that pretty much fit your description have petting zoos, creepy balloon twisters and crystal sellers. But apparently people buy enough of that stuff for the vendors to keep coming back.

7. edinatlanta

For whom, artard.

I mean, in Atlanta there's a lot of community farms and other stuff that are non-profits and a few bigger farms that do regional wholesale (basically Whole-Foods-level not Albertson's/Publix-level) so those guys are OK. I just... I dunno. I don't know how many people's pet projects or super-super-small farmers can be sustained. Or want to continue putting in the hours to make it work.