1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think you can get duck fat at Whole Foods. I know you can get it at Surfa's. Lard you can also get at Surfa's, or a ton of different Mexican markets around town. Probably WhoFo as well, although I don't think I've ever looked.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'd lard you up if you know what I mean. (I don't know where I'm taking this, actually, hence why I asked. Maybe it's like giving someone the ole Greek Helmet).

3. edinatlanta

Any recipes for roses? I bought a really nice confiture de rose in Paris and I'm curious what else I might could make.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I'm not sure if this is a compliment or not [​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, lard you should be able to find in the "Mexican" aisle of your local grocery store no matter where you are in the US. Don't use that on duck.

Duck fat...go to an Oriental/Asian market and look for whole frozen duck. I pay like $13 for a whole one here. Best value on a retail basis you're going to get. Once you get some duck fat going you can keep it going as new duck always renders some fat. I'm lucky as I buy 8# buckets of duck fat from Sysco.

6. edinatlanta

You love having an industrial sysco account don't you

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Seriously, who wouldn't?

8. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

I second the $13 for whole duck. You can use the meat for whatever, just save the fat, which stores well.

9. venividivicibj

Baby, I don't want you, I just want your fat.

10. venividivicibj

Went to surfa yesterday, got a pound of lard for $2. Normal?

11. alexg

alexg Senior member

Does anyone have a source for Lolin Anchovies in America? I can only find them in stores in Europe.

12. edinatlanta

How can I use leftover, really good pickle brine? Other than in vinaigrettes.

13. edinatlanta

How do coffee snobs view the bialleti as aneeded espresso maker? It's never mentioned in the same stories as aeropresses and other new contraptions so curious if it's still viewed as good

14. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

So all the instructions I've found (Pepin, Olney) tell you how to butterfly a chicken by cutting along the backbone. But in academiedugout they have the chicken butterflied by cutting the ribcage (?) so the chicken can be opened lengthwise. Any difference between the two ways or just aesthetics / ease for stuffing? And do you just cut along the ribcage for the latter method?

15. bullrams

bullrams Senior member

How do I make Chicken broth at home? I bought the chicken bones from the store for the broth but dunno how to go about it?! Any suggestions?

Simpler the better.

Warm the bones in water with salt, butter, onions for 5 hrs, perhaps?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You could add butter although I don't think most folks do. Standard approach would be to simmer the carcass with a few basic vegetables (onions, carrots, celery), a bit of salt and pepper (herbs like bay leaf or parsley depending on taste).

Five hours is a long time. Bring it all to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover, and give it a couple of hours. Taste.

Just please don't be a douche and call it "bone broth". :)

1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

3 people like this.
  18. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

What's the current verdict on salting eggplant? Everyone and their mother always tells you to salt it to pull out moisture and "draw out the bitterness" but I've not necessarily found eggplant au naturel to taste unpleasant to begin with. The biggest problem I have with eggplant is just how much oil it absorbs. And salting it usually just takes too long, makes it an unappealing brown color as it sits out, and usually just makes it taste too salty anyways.

Ottolenghi doesn't mention presalting in any of his recipes and seems to just roll with how much oil it absorbs, so can I consider the case closed?

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Depends on whether or not you want to brown it or not. Toss with salt and microwave 6-8 min. Dries it own and makes it easy to brown.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.