1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

IIRC outer copper or aluminium is fine so long as there's a ferrous core.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Without any sauce, just salt and pepper it was still quite good, the foie actually provides the balance to the gamey-ness of the duck. I didn't quite find it more than the sum of the parts, but the parts are delicious.

I did make a duck jus as well as a bigarrade sauce to pair. The duck jus was wonderful and just added extra duck flavor to everything. This is a personal bias but I've never liked orange sauce with duck (basically don't like citrus notes except when eating a plain orange), and was not a fan of the bigarrade sauce this time either.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'm weighing the purchase of a komodo purchase for later this year. Probably just the Char-Broil $200 version. But the more I think about it, I'd rather have a propane smoker for ease and tbh, since I'm usually cooking for me or at most one other person, it's just easier to use a propane grill. So I guess my question is do I swap the smoker for a komodo?

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

What's the deal with this 'bone broth' hype? THEY'RE JUST MAKING STOCK.

2 people like this.
  5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

BUT IF YOU CALL IT BONE BROTH ITS A LIFE HACK AND YOU CAN CHARGE MOAR !!111!

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think it's from Kobe. His trainer makes it for him every day. Supposed to have extra nutrients and anti inflammatory properties etc. there was a story about it a year or two ago

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Also it makes for mo betta double entendres.

8. edinatlanta

not really a question but man i just don't get offal. Had some andouilette and... yeah. I guess its a matter of conditioning because we are fine with muscles of animals and stomachs of pigs but a XXX of YYYY--now that's too much!

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You live in the South and consider sausages exotic?

10. edinatlanta

hurrrrrrrrrrdurdurdurdurdur LD's got jokes.

Andoilette has a... distinct... flavor courtesy of the various innards.

11. venividivicibj

@Piobaire - I saw you made braised pork belly a week or two ago. What recipe/book was that from?

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's a riff on the NYT "Unctuous Braised Pork Belly" recipe. I stick pretty much to the marinade and will braise up three or four at a time, as obviously, the additional work to do a few more vs. one is marginal. After the braise I put in vacuum bags and freeze so I can just reheat via sous vide. I don't put on a grill to crisp, as no matter how I try, the skin sticks and tears so I crisp under the broiler now. After it's reheated from the sous vide I put on a foil lined baking sheet and blot the skin very dry with paper towel. Get it to start crisping and then brush on the bourbon and brown sugar glaze repeatedly.

13. venividivicibj

excellent, thanks

edit - just put the dry rub on

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

How do you replace milk/cream in recipes? I'm lactose intolerant and cream and milk wreaks havoc on my stomach (i'm also a vegetarian that's attempting to cook more vegan generally). I'm allergic to almonds, and have found lactaid not to work. I tried using soymilk but there was definitely an "off" flavor. So what works, best silken tofu? Cashew milk? Are different things good for different applications?

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This. I don't do a lot of replacing, but it's going to vary widely depending on (1) what role does the dairy serve in the recipe; (2) what are the other flavors present in the dish; and (3) what flavors do you personally like or not like?

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Have you tried other real milks? Goat for example? May not work for you but it might- I know one person who can drink sheep milk but you'll have a hard time finding it.

17. RanMan

RanMan Senior member

I've used silken tofu to create a wonderfully smooth lemon cheescake, def good for baking. You could try putting in a blender with water for a milk substitute? Some recipes rely on the fat content in dairy so that's something to keep that in mind.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Coconut milk may be another option, depending on the recipe.

19. venividivicibj

GF/HRoi "Supply your own sauce"

20. venividivicibj

Where do you guys get your fat you use for confit and other items? Any recommendations on specific types of fat - duck/lard/etc?